Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #1
yellowrose28
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
what do you buy organic? I hope this is the right forum!

not sure if this is the right place for this post! I have recently been looking at what we eat and how it is prepared and what is in it! YUCK! So I have been making more things from scratch and buying more organic things. But I feel like some things are notr worth buying organic, like potatoes that we are peeling the skin off of! But I need some help! What should I buy organic and what is ok not to? I have been buying the organic chicken and turkey that we eat for a few weeks now. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/137373...h-extra-money/

This might help you!
Old 03-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
sweetgrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: what do you buy organic? I hope this is the right forum!

Thats a pretty good article Jennifer! We have cut other things in our budget to buy organic. Right now we are able to buy almost 100% organic. It is very important to us to get food that is non GMO, doesn't have antibiotics, no growth hormones, etc. We just want plain untampered with FOOD! That being said, the one thing I have not been able to bring myself to buy organic is cheese. It just is far to expensive right now for us. Maybe in the future I can learn to make my own or purchase organic cheese but you can only do what you can do.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
sweetgrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sorry, Double post

Last edited by sweetgrace; 03-21-2012 at 01:37 PM.
sweetgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
Shalom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Also, check out some of the past threads on this topic in the thrify forum. There have been several threads on this same topic posted in there recently.

The hurt a troubled child creates is never greater than the hurt they feel inside. -T.
Shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
sweetgrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I asked this question a few weeks ago on another forum. Some of the suggestions I have received are: To use a dehydrator (buy foods that are in season when they are less expensive and then dehydrate them to use in the off months), also you can use a dehydrator to buy frozen foods like peas or corn and then use them later. Is it a possiblity to start your own garden or herb garden? Buying in bulk is a huge cost saver (maybe go in with friends/family who also want to save). Soups, beans, grains, and eggs can get you more bang for your buck. Buying from local farms can also save you money. Sometimes small farms are not certified organic but they follow the same practices. Also, if you buy chicken (which it looks like you do) maybe consider making your own chicken broth for soups to make your dollar stretch. Well worth the small effort IMHO! Seriously, just this one thing (making broth) has turned my cooking into gormet, lol.

Here are a couple of other links I was given: http://www.foodrenegade.com/eating-r...d-on-a-budget/

http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/

I hope this helps

Last edited by sweetgrace; 03-21-2012 at 05:08 PM.
sweetgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #7
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

For us we buy everything organic if we can afford it! We always follow the dirty dozen for produce (and stick with the clean 15 in conventional if they're cheaper). We also only buy organic dairy products. If you're eating low-fat dairy I'd be more inclined to buy the conventional (again depending on the price difference) but we only use whole milk and whole milk yogurt, etc.

Someone mentioned chicken -- Costco sells whole organic chicken for a pretty good price, but we generally buy them from our local grocery store. They often have the organic whole chickens marked down to .50-1 /lb right before the use by date. We stock up and freeze then!
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
d0nkey
Registered Users

My Mood:

The top things we buy organic:
Milk
Potatoes
Celery
Lettuce
Apples

I think I read somewhere that celery and potatoes are worse that other non-organic items.
d0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I never buy organic potatoes! My neighbors dad works at a processing plant. All the potatoes come in at the same place, same trucks. Some are labeled organic... some are not! So I figure lots of organic potatoes are not being labeled that way. ( I don't want to think the other way-lol)

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #10
Leocaligirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We also always buy from the dirty dozen organic. I also buy Organic Milk, Yogurt, Sour Cream, Pasta, Pasta Sauce, Ketchup and more. That is all I can think of right now.