Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
SenoraE
Registered Users
seller

My dad is a newly diagnosed diabetic, but we are a no artificial sweetener family.

Diabetes runs n my dad's family so he has taken care to stay in shape, but it still ended up raining on his parade. I am in charge of dessert for Sunday... I will not use artificial sweeteners / "sugar free" products, which has left me completely at a loss. Any recipe suggestions / ideas? Thank you!!

Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My dad is a newly diagnosed diabetic, but we are a no artificial sweetener family

I could totally be wrong about this, but I was thinking that agave had a lower glycemic index, which is what I think you want. I don't have much knowledge of diabetes or cooking for diabetics, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I am really good at making substitutions though, so if you know that you can use x,y, and z, then I can find you a recipe.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
wyoming butterfly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My dad is a newly diagnosed diabetic, but we are a no artificial sweetener family

stevia and agava
Old 03-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Applesauce cakes? I read somewhere that a little honey was not as bad as sugar. (ie it is processes like fruit so it should be limited)

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
gabmaxi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Maybe fruit salad, without grapes, mango, or pineapple (higher sugar fruits).

Angel food cake with fresh berries.
gabmaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

Melted dark chocolate over fresh berries with whipped cream... very good

Baked apples or pears with a touch of cinnamon and whipped cream.

Last edited by rumblepurr; 03-23-2012 at 08:47 PM.
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
kej
Registered Users
seller

Have you looked into Xylitol? Despite it's weird name, it'd a derivative of beech trees. It doesn't have the bitter taste stevia can have, and you can use it measure for measure in recipes. The downside is that it's expensive. We use it primarily for baking only to maintain the texture of the product.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:37 AM   #8
MaBacon
Registered Users
seller

If you look up clean eating you'll find lots of recipes. They don't allow artificial sweeteners or sugar. What type of dessert are you looking for? I can look in my clean eating book for some ideas if you'd like.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
sunnymommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Stevia does not affect blood sugar. I could have it when diabetic while pregnant.
sunnymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #10
tandiwe76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our LO can't have any sweets at all right now, so we've also had to find other resources. The best thing we've found is xylitol. It is natural, and unlike stevia (yuck! can't stand it) it actually tastes good. We get it at our co-op and its not terribly expensive if you don't use it all the time.

Yesterday we made watermelon popsicles, blending up watermelon, almond milk (to give it a little creaminess) and xylitol, and they turned out great! Now our LO can have a treat on a hot day.

Xylitol sweetened cookies turned out great. It seems good for baking.

Make sure he is eating lots of fats and proteins with every meal - these will stabilize his blood sugar and slow carb burn and therefore insulin spikes. You might also want to check out the body ecology diet, it is for rebalancing the entire digestive system, so useful for anyone. There is limited sugars/carbs on that diet.
tandiwe76 is offline   Reply With Quote