Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Birth story of Layla Marie (HBAC)

My first daughter was born in December of 2009 by cesearian section. *It was a traumatic hospital experience and looking back I see everything that went wrong but I wasn't knowledgable enough and didn't fight enough for what I really wanted and deserved. *When I found out I was pregnant again in the summer of 2011 I knew things had to be different and my husband and I decided on a home birth. *I read so many natural childbirth books, really ate healthy and took a hypnobirthing class. *I was beyond prepared and ready to meet my 2nd daughter by the time I was 40 weeks.

I woke up at 12:30am on 3/7/12 with my first contraction, it was 2 days past my due date and I hadn't had any false labor or anything yet but I had a feeling it was time. *I went back to bed and woke up every half hour for another 4 contractions. *I then got up around 2:30am and decided to brew a cup of raspberry leaf tea, once I started walking around they came much quicker and I started to time them. *The first two timed contractions were five minutes apart and then went to 2 min apart but 30 seconds long. *I was a little confused as I thought things were supposed to progress a little slower and with my first I was induced at the hospital and hooked up to monitors that I didn't really have the responsibility of timing or tracking. *I woke my husband, Tom, up around 3 and let him know today was the day. *I was still walking around and decided to take a shower to get cleaned up and see if the contractions slowed down....they didn't. *Right around 4am I knew I had to go over to my sisters house (where we were going to have the baby) and we started moving a little quicker. *I texted the midwife when we got in the car and she said to just keep her posted.

When we got to my sisters we unpacked the stuff we had brought and set up the birth room a little more. *The birth room was my sisters dining room that her and I had lovingly set up in the prior weeks with a futon, the birth pool and all our supplies on a table. *We even decorated with family pictures, candles and plants. *I went up to wake my sister and after she came down my two nieces followed and they all set up a movie in the living room with my daughter. *My plan was to have all the kids stay for the birth too. *Contractions were remaining close together but they were manageable except for not having much of a break. *At 6:30 I was asking for my midwives and my husband said they were on the way, right then I had a contraction and my water broke. *It was clear and he let them know. *About 7am one of my midwives, Sarafina, arrived. *She was great and is also a doula so she was able to get me a little more centered and I started moaning through the contractions around this point.

I think it was around 9am when I asked to be checked and I was a 9 *and her head was low but had a cervical lip. *I had a cervical lip with my older daughter too and I was not happy to hear that! *I knew I could work through it but it was going to be hard, it led to my section with my Fiona but mostly because I didn't have the freedom of movement. *It was around this time that I was asked when the last time I used the bathroom was and I said at home. *They kept having me go to the bathroom and try to pee but nothing was coming out. *They don't like more than 6 hours without urinating. *After maybe another hour of no pee they tried to insert a catheter but the baby's head was in the way. *I tried to pee again and they tried the catheter again at some point, we talked about maybe needing a hospital transfer if baby didn't come soon or I was able to pee. *I walked around the house, took a shower, got in and out of the birth pool, and walked up the steps all in effort to use the bathroom. *Things started feeling pushy around this time also which was actually much better than the contractions without that feeling. *I was able to release some pee when sitting on the birth stool so that was great! *A few more hours went by and the cervical lip wouldn't really budge so I got on my back and my midwife helped move it over while I pushed during a few contractions. *It wasn't that painful and it was great to know the baby would be on her way soon.

Things really started to progress now and it was around 3pm when she was down low and the real pushing started. *I had wanted to give birth in the pool but *it just didn't feel right when the time came. *I worked her down to crowing in a supported squat. *Once she was crowing it was really painful, the ring of fire was the worst part of the whole thing. *My midwife was supporting my perineum with a warm washcloth and olive oil and I was slowly pushing her out so I wouldn't tear. *I had to get onto the futon and be semi reclined at this point as I was growing tired of the squat and was in pain. *My husband supported one leg and was so good during this time just telling me that she was right there and how good I was doing, *I didn't want to push her out it hurt so bad but I knew I had to and at this point there was no other option other than to just finish what we started. *My sister had my other leg and was really coaching me great too. *I couldn't have done it without my amazing support team. Once her head was out there was some urgency in my midwife's voice and I had to change positions quickly up onto my knees, my sister, husband and 2 midwives helped me move and in the next push and a little pull/maneuvering by my midwife, Jessica her body was out. *(they didn't tell me until later but she had a mild shoulder dystocia). *She was passed under my legs and I laid back and took her right to my chest. *She was beautiful! *It was by far the greatest moment of my life, seeing her for the first time and also knowing that I did it all natural after the terrible birth experience of my first. She was a little blue and clogged up with fluid but by her 5 minute apgar she was up from a 6 to a 9. *She nursed right away and we let the cord pulse until it stopped and probably 15 minutes later Tom cut the cord and I delivered the placenta in one easy push. *It really just fell right out.

After a while I got examined and the midwives told me I had 3rd degree tearing and they advised me I could go to the hospital for stitching as it was slightly beyond their normal range or if I wanted they would do the stitching. *I really did not want to go anywhere!!! I discussed with Tom and my sister and we decided to stay home and have them stitch me up. *That process took close to and hour. *We then all ate some pizza and relaxed a little while longer and then did the newborn exam. *

Layla Marie Buckley was 9lbs 8oz!!! I had no idea she would be so big, I gained 15 more pounds with my first daughter and she was only 7lbs 2oz! *Layla also had a large head and chest. *I found out then about the shoulder dystocia and that she came out looking to the right instead of chin tucked and looking to the back. *That is why the tearing was so bad and probably why she took so long to push out. *I really felt like such a baby during the pushing but my midwives assured me how great I really did for such difficult presentation and a large baby.

I can't believe how many "complications" I had and still did it! *I know for sure if I had been in the hospital it would have been another c-section and Layla was 2 1/2 lbs bigger than Fiona. *I couldn't be happier and will 100% have any future births at home as long as I stay low risk.

Advertisement

Last edited by umphreysmommy; 03-25-2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: add photos
umphreysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Birth story of Layla Marie (HBAC)

Not sure why there are all those stars in there. I typed this up in the notes on my iPad....
Old 03-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow mama! You rock. Great job! And congratulations.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
mamamoo13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your midwives were right - you did an amazing job! Way to go, mama! And congratulations on a beautiful, healthy baby.

Michelle
mamamoo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
imaginejem
Registered Users

My Mood:

Congrats! What an awesome home birth story! I had a home birth as well, and doesn't it just give you the most satisfying, empowering feeling to know that you did that?!?
imaginejem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
hezdwoody
Registered Users

Congratulations! Your birth story sounds so much like mine, I also had a lip and it definitly brought its challenges. I am glad that you are so happy with your experience. Great Job! Enjoy your new little one!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

Pic of big sister is precious! Congrats mama!
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
Newbmommy
Registered Users

Beautiful story! Congrats!
Newbmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #9
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller