Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2012, 06:10 AM   #11
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Newbie Questions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKzooFamily View Post
One HUGE concern I have is her poopy diapers. She only has about 1 per day. Sometimes none, and it worries me. Sometimes 2. I just feel like it's not enough at all. And she seems constipated sometimes.
My DD only pooped once every 2-3 days from 6 weeks - 5 months old. And that is totally within the range of normal. It sounds like your baby is perfectly normal as well. 4 poops per day is NOT necessary. Is the poop soft or hard? As long as it is soft, she is not constipated. Constipation refers to the consistancy of the poop, not the frequency.

Advertisement

bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #12
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcb1961

My DD only pooped once every 2-3 days from 6 weeks - 5 months old. And that is totally within the range of normal. It sounds like your baby is perfectly normal as well. 4 poops per day is NOT necessary. Is the poop soft or hard? As long as it is soft, she is not constipated. Constipation refers to the consistancy of the poop, not the frequency.
I explained the 4 poops in a previous post
Old 03-26-2012, 07:19 AM   #13
luvof3boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It was perfectly fine to give your baby formula to get rid of the jaundice. With 2 of my babies I had the IMM an extreme position of nothing but breastmilk. Both ended up in the hospital. MY 3rd I gave formula and his levels dropped rapidly and never ended up in the hospital. I had all 3 of my babies at the world renown Mayo Clinic. They are VERY pro breastfeeding but ultimatly they care about the patient. Your milk supply is not as delicate as many groups/organizations would lead you to believe. You did the right thing for your baby, mama. Good for you.
luvof3boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #14
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Her poops are pretty large, when she does have them. Sometimes she fills the whole diaper, but it's definitely more than a couple quarters size. So she is doing well there! They are also very soft/liquidy. I believe they are mostly yellow, I don't remember them being green. I'll have to check again next time she has one.

She is feeding about 5 minutes on each side. She seems to eat pretty fast. Sometimes she will nurse for 10 minutes on one side, but that is about the max. Last night she was REALLY fussy, so I kept burping her for a minute, and then putting her back on a breast, and she eventually went to sleep. My nipples were sore after, because she nursed for so long, but I need to work on her latch. I can tell now when she's not latched properly. When she is latched properly, I just feel the 'pull'. When she's not, it feels like the side or tip of my nipple is being scratched by sandpaper or being stuck with needles, it's very painful. Latching on is also very painful, but it's only for a second, so I'm just trying to work on the latch. I will look up the info. on how to get her properly latched and how to figure out if maybe she has a bad latch.

I'm just very happy she is nursing and prefers it. Anytime we gave her formula, she would spit it ALL up within minutes, and then go to sleep looking like she felt awful. I love that she is able to digest breastmilk with no problem, and that she loves nursing.
Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #15
luvof3boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That inital pain when she is latching on is normal. I describe it as toe curling. But it goes away right away. You are right if it continues to hurt she is not latched properly. Wait until her mouth is wide open and put her on the breast. I always had one hand on my ds's head when I would put him on with a WIDE open mouth. I would say 5 minutes is not very long for her age. Maybe it is for her though. She could just be fast. Have you taken her in for a weight check? If she is gaining then don't worry about it. She is fine and getting enough. You can ususally just take a baby in and the nurses will weigh her and you don't have to see a doctor or anything. That may put your mind at ease. You want her gaining about 1oz a day.

Fussiness isn't always hungar. Usually it is tiredness. I know I told you this already but I have found this to be very true. She is not mature enough yet to settle herself to sleep. She could just be fussy because she wants to go to sleep and needs help. That is where nursing comes in when she is really young. It is great if you can lay her down sometimes still awake and she can fall asleep on her own. If she can't then nurse her to sleep. Good job mama. In a couple of weeks you will be an old pro.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #16
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Here's some good info on jaundice in the bf baby

http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

"Rarely, if ever, does breastfeeding need to be discontinued even for a short time."

http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/a...breastfed-baby
Old 03-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #17
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
I explained the 4 poops in a previous post
Yep, I saw it. I was pointing out that even if your LO doesn't poop at ALL during a single day, that is still within the range of normal. Neither amount nor frequency equal constipation.
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #18
Connor
Registered Users
seller

The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding: "Formula brings the bilirubin number down faster than human milk does, but at a lifelong price, since formula increases the risk of so many short and long-term problems. With human milk, the bilirubin number comes down a bit more slowly, at no risk and enormous benefit to your baby."

"Keep your baby with you so can keep the breastfeeding going strong. It's your first and best ally against jaundice "
Old 03-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #19
luvof3boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't say you need to discontinue breastfeeding a jaundice baby. I personally continued to offer the breast but gave formula afterwards before my milk came in. It takes my milk about 3 -4 days to come in. Having that extra formula during that time caused my ds to get rid of the buildup of bilirubin that otherwise would not have been passed out of his system. Jaundice is dangerous and I was willing to give my baby formula so he wouldn't end up in the hospital. Jaundice tends to get progressivly worse with each child. #2 was in the hosptial for 3 days and I did not want that to happen to #3. Ultimately each mother has to be comfortable with her decision. My doctors were very open to me not supplmenting with any formula with my first 2. This was my situation and each person has their own set of circumstances.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #20
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvof3boyz
I wouldn't say you need to discontinue breastfeeding a jaundice baby. I personally continued to offer the breast but gave formula afterwards before my milk came in. It takes my milk about 3 -4 days to come in. Having that extra formula during that time caused my ds to get rid of the buildup of bilirubin that otherwise would not have been passed out of his system. Jaundice is dangerous and I was willing to give my baby formula so he wouldn't end up in the hospital. Jaundice tends to get progressivly worse with each child. #2 was in the hosptial for 3 days and I did not want that to happen to #3. Ultimately each mother has to be comfortable with her decision. My doctors were very open to me not supplmenting with any formula with my first 2. This was my situation and each person has their own set of circumstances.
What were the levels?