Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:
Re: 3 days of 104 plus fever...

Actually seizures happen when a fever rises very quickly, not necessarily when it's just a high fever. My daughter gets cyclical fevers and usually doesn't go any longer than 6 weeks without having them. She runs as high as 104.5 or so for several days in a row. When fever and crankiness are the only symptoms we don't even bother with the ped anymore because it's just her body fighting a virus. She's very prone to them. So what we do is alternate ibuprofen and tylenol (each one every three hours). I give her lots of fluids and nurse her (more for comfort) and let her eat popsicles, jello,soup,etc. There probably isn't much more you can do. Antibiotics for a virus wouldn't do anything and actually isn't good for you at all anyways. So sorry he's sick. My dd is sick right now too. It stinks but I'm rather used to it by now.

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #12
this_mel_rocks
Registered Users
seller

The issue is that it could be viral or bacterial and without a blood panel being ran you just don't know.
this_mel_rocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #13
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

They did not do any blood work just looked him over
Old 03-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #14
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by this_mel_rocks View Post
The issue is that it could be viral or bacterial and without a blood panel being ran you just don't know.
Goodness, if my poor child had to get a panel every time she got a high fever she'd be traumatized. I do understand what you're saying though, however, less than 1% of bacteria actually cause illness, whereas virtually all viruses do cause illness. Also since antibiotics are so overused even some bacteria are resistent. I know it sucks OP but high fevers are very very common in viral illness and if you alternate tylenol and ibuprofen every three hours, that will be far more effective in lowering the fever than ibuprofen alone.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #15
acwakip
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
Goodness, if my poor child had to get a panel every time she got a high fever she'd be traumatized. I do understand what you're saying though, however, less than 1% of bacteria actually cause illness, whereas virtually all viruses do cause illness. Also since antibiotics are so overused even some bacteria are resistent. I know it sucks OP but high fevers are very very common in viral illness and if you alternate tylenol and ibuprofen every three hours, that will be far more effective in lowering the fever than ibuprofen alone.
I called in to the doctor back in December as DH's fever was 104.8. The doctor assured me that I should administer ibuprofen and bring him in later that day. She said that she doesn't tend to worry until it pushes 106 and to monitor his temp every few minutes to be sure it isn't increasing at a rapid rate (induces febrile seizures). She did also tell me that administering medicine to reduce the fever may not break it when it is that high. She said to expect it to come down, but not to be totally gone.

DS seems to run high fevers frequently (every 6 weeks or so, the most recent was 105 a week ago last Saturday). I take his temp frequently when he gets a fever to be sure it isn't increasing too quickly.

I was running him to the doctor with ever fever but I have backed off now. DS hasn't had any blood tests but if his ears/lungs are clear, I don't worry too much. He has had 2 throat cultures done due to strep making its rounds at daycare though.
acwakip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #16
this_mel_rocks
Registered Users
seller

I guess I am just over protective of high fevers. My DD2 was in the hospital for over week last Feb and then on a PICC line at home for a month after we took her in for a high fever and joint pain and it turned out she had a massive staph infection in her blood and the bones in her hip and clavicle which will never heal. I am normally the last person to go to the DR or give meds. Not anymore. It was only a suggestion for the OP and she is free to take care of her sick LO how she see fits.
this_mel_rocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #17
an_aurora
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl View Post
That is extremely high...like seizure high. I can't believe the dr isn't doing something about it. Is the ibu doing anything at all???
Febrile seizures occur with a sudden rise in temp; it could happen at 101 if a child rises quickly and is predisposed to seizures. The "danger zone" for fevers causing brain damage isn't until nearly 107.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #18
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1 View Post
He drops down and back up in between each dosage, averaging 40 to 40.5 celcius, 104 to 104.8 farenheit
So does he drop down below 104 with meds? Can you alternate?

The only thing that came to mind I think he is to young for but who knows is mono. It is only because my 16 year old niece had it a couple weeks ago. She had a 103+ degree fever for days and they had to do a bunch of tests to find out it was mono.

My aunt as a child ran high fevers a lot. Poor kid.

Just watch for dehydration signs, I would maybe ask about blood work if not better tomorrow, and try to keep him as comfy as he can. I alternate meds when fevers are that high. DD had H1N1 so I know all to well about nasty fevers.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #19
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
Febrile seizures occur with a sudden rise in temp; it could happen at 101 if a child rises quickly and is predisposed to seizures. The "danger zone" for fevers causing brain damage isn't until nearly 107.
Thank you for the correct information! I hate the misinformation given to parents about fevers.

OP, I understand your stress, but it sounds totally normal to me honestly. I think the ER is excessive IMO and here my ped doesn't even recommend office visits unless there is another symptom with the fever up to 105 degrees.

It can be miserable to go through, but a fever is a healthy sign honestly. It is a bodies way of fighting.
Expecting someone small Sept 2014
Macyllehub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #20
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
I think it is meant for a child that this isn't common with. My aunt ran 103 temps with everything even a cold!