Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2007, 07:06 AM   #11
Nikkis_Little_Ladies
Registered Users
Formerly: Nikk25_3
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pacifier question- explanation probably longer than it needs to be

Have you read the new studies about binks and babies? They claim that the pacies are good for babies and toddlers. They say that studies show that in the numbers of newborns/infants that use a pacie have lower rates of SIDS. I'm not sure about all of the details. This was something I jsut so happend to come up on oneday and kinda skimed threw it. They also stated that toddlers up tot he age of 5 still feel a gereat need to asuck. I believe this to be true. My three and five yr olds still like to suck on things. Not sure why, but they do. They also did a studie about the whole teeth problems with the pacies. Again I'm not sure of the details, but it was said that the paci does not have an effect on the teeth. I will try to find the artical I rad and post it up.

So I honestly do not see a problem with it at this age. I presonally would not want my DD to be having one past the age of two. Mostly bc of all the LOOKS you get.. But if she needed it sure I would let her have it to a limit. I would NOT take it away from him now though. You are going to be having a new one soon. This will be a huge change for your DS and he will need his paci probably even more then now. I would be totally okay with that. I would think that taking it way now or even with in the next few months will only make him a very unhaooy boy, thus making you a very unhappy mommy. KWIM !! anywho.. GL to ya ..

Advertisement

Nikkis_Little_Ladies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:13 AM   #12
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

My 27 month old still uses her "bucky" all the time. I limit it to nap, nighttime, and whenever she gets a booboo(combined with snuggles and kissing the booboo of course!). We are about to limit it to just when she's in her bed and if she wants it she has to be sitting in bed. But she really likes it and ya know what? She may be our last. I'm going to enjoy her being little.

Meg
Old 04-26-2007, 08:11 AM   #13
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki25_3 View Post
Have you read the new studies about binks and babies? They claim that the pacies are good for babies and toddlers. They say that studies show that in the numbers of newborns/infants that use a pacie have lower rates of SIDS. I'm not sure about all of the details.
I've read that too. Something about when they're sucking on the paci they don't sleep as deeply so they're less susceptible to SIDS. Makes sense...although SIDS research in general is very frustrating because they can never make up their mind!

Bottom line...like everythign else, you have to do what works for your family and don't sweat the small stuff!
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:19 AM   #14
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: Pacifier question- explanation probably longer than it needs to be

We just dealt with this..however it was with our 25 month old. We just had another baby and had moved her into her new "big girl" room so we were hesitant to take them from her. I have been told that it won't be a problem until their adult teeth come in...however we decided to break it sooner then that. We decided to let it be more her decision when to dump it...we started snipping off tiny bits of the nipple every now and then and eventually there wasn't anything to suck...she has thrown several away citing that they are "icky", but has kept two that she just wants to hold at bedtime...I figured that was a nice compromise and I didn't have to deal with any crying over it at bedtime...I can't handle the crying it out approach..I'm weak.

It worked pretty well for us!
Old 04-26-2007, 08:19 AM   #15
jsnichols1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our first DD really relied on her's - after she was old enough to understand, we told her that her "mi-mi' wanted to stay in bed all day while she played. She got it during naps and bedtime, but that was it. She's going to be 4 next month, and I had decided long ago that she would get rid of it when she was ready, and sure enough - about 2 months ago, she got up in the morning, handed it to me and told me that she didn't need it anymore. :-)

At 18 mo's, I wouldn't worry about him wanting it - it's a comfort thing for him...but I would try to get him to only needing it when he's sleeping. Maybe find a special place for it during the day when he's awake that he knows where it is and that it's safe, and that he can have it when he goes night night. The first day or 2 might be hard with that, but he'll get the idea. :-)

HTH!
Sue
jsnichols1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:31 AM   #16
Milkshake Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndunn View Post
Re: the need to suck. This is related to the immune system, actually. I'm going to go and try and find the article, but at the moment I'm nursing...lol

I think as a soceity we often don't realise that the need to suck extends well into the toddler years.

Very true! I would say that if you can and are willing to offer him more nursing time to meet his sucking needs he *might* need the pacifier less. It does sound like he has found something that is meeting that sucking need. Babies (NB - 3,4 maybe older) suck for comfort, security, relaxation (due to stress also), when they're in pain, etc...probably more than we know!

Good luck momma!
Old 04-26-2007, 08:50 AM   #17
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

I really dont see the big deal?? Mikey loves his ducky (he has the soothie pacifier that attches to a duck) I dont believe that it messes with speech. Many mamas Breastfeed their babies well over 2 or 3 and they dont have speech problems. I think we all worry way to much that these little guys are to big for that or to old. But I see it like they use it as a comfort thing, if it makes them comfortable and at ease, why take it away and fight about it?? I mean eventually they will grow out of that stage of wanting to suck a paci Enjoy the baby stages instead of hurrying to get them out has always been my outlook
Old 04-26-2007, 09:11 AM   #18
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The only time it messes with speech is when a child sucks on a paci ALL the time and never is without it. Landon's parents don't mind his, and he had it 24/7 we noticed that even when it wasn't he, he'd pronounce his words like he did when he was holding his paci in his mouth!! Over at our house though (I watch him while his parents work), it's always been limited to nap time. And his parents are limiting it now as well. So now he talks just fine.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:21 AM   #19
~Bug~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS needs his binky too. I was hoping to get rid of it, but when DD was born he suddenly became more attached to it. He had only needed it for naps, but now he constantly wants his dog (his lovey) and his binky. I try to limit it, but DD has one so he'll take hers if he can't find his. I definitely think the arrival of the new baby had a lot to do with his sudden need for his binky.

I do limit it when we leave the house though. He knows he has to leave his binky and his dog at the door before he can go, but he's always so excited to leave he doesn't care.

I'm not sure when I'll try taking it away for good. We'll have to assess the situation as we go along.

Good luck!

Danielle
Mommy to to DS (2 years old) and DD (1 year old)
EDD - Oct 2008
~Bug~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:05 AM   #20
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingos77 View Post
I am very relaxed about this stuff. I don't see the big deal about having a paci at that age.
I agree. Trust me, he won't be going to High School with a paci;-)

Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote