Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2007, 02:43 PM   #21
ShadesofRae
Registered Users
Formerly: 3mamasboys
seller

Re: Pacifier question- explanation probably longer than it needs to be

Ry is 17 months old and hooked on his binky AND the boob! I plan to keep the pacifier around until 24 months or until he weans. I feel that the binky will help him feel more secure with weaning. Or at 24 months if he's still breastfeeding then I think he will have a better understanding of letting the binky go. He doesn't understand now.

Right now I try to limit it to naps and bedtime but it is getting tough because he stashes them. I can't find them BUT HE CAN! LOL. He isn't talking yet, although I don't blame the binky. He also has the typical "binky mouth", but the dentist has assured me that 2 years is a good time to wean from the binky and that his teeth will quickly move into their correct position.

Advertisement

ShadesofRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:12 PM   #22
Melissa~BHS
B/S/T with caution~ Ignoring attempts to resolve FSOT issue.

My Mood:

My dd#1 sucked her thumb until she was in second grade. She would only suck it in her sleep. It never affected her speech and she has beautiful teeth.
dd#2 and dd#3 had a "binky". Right around dd#2 first bday the binky disappeared overnight. She cried. It reappeared and she used it for a few more months. Then one night at about 18 months it disappeared again. She didn't notice.
dd#3 used a binky, it disappeared when she was 13 months old and she never cried for it.
ds used a binky until his first birthday. It disappeared one night as well (funny how that kept happening!) and he never cried either.
Every child is different, and IMO their need for sucking and self soothing is different. Go with what works for your child. I would try removing it, and I think your child will let you know by his reaction as to whether he is ready to give it up. If not, I don't think you should be concerned at the age he is.

Melissa~BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:37 PM   #23
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I personally don't think it's a big deal if he wants at nighttime as a comfort thing. My ds is a thumbsucker, but dd uses a paci from quite young. Before she was 1, I let her have it whenever. When she turned 1, I told her it was for bed only, and started taking it out her mouth in the morning & after naps and I would drop it back in the crib. She caught on really quickly, and now, when I get her up from a nap, she pulls it out herself and drops it in the crib. If you give him an "acceptable" place to have his "duby" then he may cut down on asking for it at other times.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:46 PM   #24
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't read everyone's advice to you but I think you should start keeping it for just nap time, bedtime and maybe those exceptions like when he really hurts himself and needs the comfort, or he's sick. It will be a lot easier to stop it later if he has limits on it now. Taking it away completely when he has a new sibling on the way might be a lot for him to handle.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:37 PM   #25
SahmIam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you don't want to tandem nurse or for him to have his duby when the new baby arrives I would break him of it now. It's a habit he's formed when you gave it to him. If he had needed it he would have needed it before he was so old. I would start by limiting how often he has it then when you think he's ready just cut the tips down so they aren't as fun for him any more and give him something else to occupy him.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:04 PM   #26
chameleon607
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ahhh ladies- thanks for the replies. We decided to try to limit the "duby" to naptime and night-night time at home for the past couple of weeks. Jonah knows that duby stays in the crib- but there are days where he'll go into his room and streeeeettttch his little arm to try to reach the dubys in his crib. Then he'll get ticked that he can't reach- then the tantrum.... Other days he's fine. He's started not even wanting his morning nursing sometimes- if I forget to take the duby out of his mouth when I bring him to lay down with me, some mornings he'll suck, suck and plop the duby back into his mouth. Darn duby! 3 more weeks of work and then Jonah will have full access to me 24/7. YAh! Then we'll see how things go when the new baby comes in July... If Jonah wants to nurse more when I have milk again, I'll be ok with that. Maybe he'll forget about the dubys (wishful thinking )
Old 05-15-2007, 12:26 PM   #27
SarahJane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi Mama. Congratulations! Our 24 month old son has also grown more dependent of late on his paci. He's always used it for naps, and comfort, but now seems to want it more. He's cutting his 2 year molars, so I'm ok with it. He knows where I keep them and can get them out of his bed if he wants it. Our orthadotist said he'd rather see a child have a pacifier than a thumb. We just limit it now. Only naps, car, not outside, not in stores. He happily gives it to me when the time comes. I think it's very similar for some children to a lovey. Our daughter (7) still has a favorite soft doll that she sleeps with. It doesn't go on sleep overs because she wouldn't want her friends to know, but when she was little it went every where with her. Like a portable Mommy. I think our son uses his paci that way. He's learning to use the potty and do lots of big boy things. Sometimes that makes him feel to big, so he grabs his paci.

HTH. Good luck with your baby!
Old 05-15-2007, 04:50 PM   #28
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, I'm one of those "bad moms" who gives in to her kids wanting a nuk. LOL! My DD is 2 1/2 years old, and I have to seriously hide them all from her and DS when they are not napping or in bed at night, cuz otherwise she lives with it in her mouth. She just needs it. I was going to take it from her at 1 1/2 years old, but at that point I was very pregnant and needed my sleep, plus I didn't want her to get mad at DS for having a nuk if he wanted one. KWIM? Then I didn't take it from her cuz when I did she would take DS's. LOL! Now I'm just trying to slowly get her down to just naptime and bedtime with it. Hopefully I will be able to soon, but if not, then I will at least get her to stop taking it to the stores w/ her. LOL! She has it in her mouth the whole time we are out right now.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:22 PM   #29
chameleon607
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for the congrats on our upcoming baby- we're so excited! I teach kindergarten right now- and 2 of my Mom's had baby boys in December. They'll bring the boys into my classroom if they are picking up their kiddos. They'll let me hold their babies- oh! I'm so ready to be a Mommy of a baby again. It will be very interesting to see how Jonah will react to this baby in 2 months. He knows something is up already- he just has no idea how much his family is about to change. I already wonder if this baby will want a paci and if Jonah will just take the baby's paci when he wants one. We'll see..... It was so strange to me that he never took a pacifier as a little one and then decide that he wants one constantly when he was over a year old. I didn't expect or forsee that one--- oh, the things I learn