Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
e_roehm23's Avatar
e_roehm23
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KY
Posts: 656
My Mood:
Questions for those who DO NOT use bottles.....

So, dd is 6.5 mos and we have had an uphill battle nearly every step of the way. Over the last month, she has really been preferring the bottle over the boob There have been 4-5 day stretches where I could get her back on the breast, but then it is back to the bottle. I have just come to the point where I'm ready to give up the bottle and only nurse, but have a few questions.

1.) What do I do if she gets sick and doesn't want to nurse?
2.) What do I do if she goes on a nursing strike?
3.) What do I do if my supply cannot keep up with her demand?
~we have had ptt/ulp clipped but still having problems, shallow latch/tongue thrust, and weak suck. plus most of the time she will only nurse on the right side.
~I'm currently taking Fenugreek 3xs 620mg & getting started on Blessed Thistle & Alfalfa; considering Domperidone; also pumping every 2-3 hours to increase supply

Advertisement

__________________
Jesus Loving SAHM & Keeper of the home to my little "Drummer Boy" 2/13/09
& DD 9/9/11& my live in Therapist DH


My ISO/IHA http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show....php?t=1327857

Last edited by e_roehm23; 03-27-2012 at 07:45 AM.
e_roehm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
tibeca's Avatar
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,936
My Mood:
Re: Questions for those who DO NOT use bottles.....

Your supply will adjust to your baby. Nursing encourages milk supply in ways that pumping simply can't. Most babies nurse more when they are sick. Nursing strikes are rare (for breast only babies), and at this point, when they do happen, you can pump and offer in a sippy cup. And, if you must supplement, you can always use an SNS. Doing so will help build your supply and keep your LO practicing nursing at the breast.

As a SAHM I have never had a nursing strike (I have 2 lo's, the oldest nursed until 3+, the second is nursing through my pregnancy at 16 months). My girls have had 3 total bottles in their entire lives. All 3 times, I was at the doctor's office and DH offered it. They drank a little, but were glad to be back with mom. I hate pumping (the effort compared to nursing is too great) and am glad to just offer all day long.
__________________
Tibeca, Certified Breastfeeding Specialist

Baby Monkeys on Hyena Cart
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
e_roehm23's Avatar
e_roehm23
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KY
Posts: 656
My Mood:
Re: Questions for those who DO NOT use bottles.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibeca View Post
Your supply will adjust to your baby. Nursing encourages milk supply in ways that pumping simply can't. Most babies nurse more when they are sick. Nursing strikes are rare (for breast only babies), and at this point, when they do happen, you can pump and offer in a sippy cup. And, if you must supplement, you can always use an SNS. Doing so will help build your supply and keep your LO practicing nursing at the breast.

As a SAHM I have never had a nursing strike (I have 2 lo's, the oldest nursed until 3+, the second is nursing through my pregnancy at 16 months). My girls have had 3 total bottles in their entire lives. All 3 times, I was at the doctor's office and DH offered it. They drank a little, but were glad to be back with mom. I hate pumping (the effort compared to nursing is too great) and am glad to just offer all day long.
I would LOVE to be able to increase my supply by just nursing, but dd won't take the breast unless it is semi-full. Also, I've noticed that she does not empty the breast (I can still pump 1/2-1 oz after she nurses, but she still acts hungry)

I'm wanting to give up bottles because they have caused so many problems, but I'm not sure I will be able to maintain supply if she is not emptying the breast. Right now dd is sick and has not wanted to nurse for the last 3 days
__________________
Jesus Loving SAHM & Keeper of the home to my little "Drummer Boy" 2/13/09
& DD 9/9/11& my live in Therapist DH


My ISO/IHA http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show....php?t=1327857
e_roehm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
Teexie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,933
Re: Questions for those who DO NOT use bottles.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_roehm23 View Post
So, dd is 6.5 mos and we have had an uphill battle nearly every step of the way. Over the last month, she has really been preferring the bottle over the boob There have been 4-5 day stretches where I could get her back on the breast, but then it is back to the bottle. I have just come to the point where I'm ready to give up the bottle and only nurse, but have a few questions.

1.) What do I do if she gets sick and doesn't want to nurse?
2.) What do I do if she goes on a nursing strike?
3.) What do I do if my supply cannot keep up with her demand?
~we have had ptt/ulp clipped but still having problems, shallow latch/tongue thrust, and weak suck. plus most of the time she will only nurse on the right side.
~I'm currently taking Fenugreek 3xs 620mg & getting started on Blessed Thistle & Alfalfa; considering Domperidone; also pumping every 2-3 hours to increase supply
For what it's worth, DD is 11 months and has never taken a bottle.
1. She nurses more when she is sick. There has been a day or two when she was too stuffed up to nurse. I just offered as much as possible and pumped if I got too full to avoid plugged ducts. I have tried giving her a sippy cup but she didn't want that either, so we just stuck with offering as much as possible, especially after suctioning her nose.

2. Never had a nursing strike. If she did, I'd offer a cup.

3. I would think your supply would keep up better when she's nursing rather than pumping and drinking from a bottle. If for some reason it didn't, I'd just pump in addition to nursing, but not offer a bottle. Maybe just build up a back-up stash
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
junejay4life's Avatar
junejay4life
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Howell, Michigan
Posts: 1,579
My Mood:
Re: Questions for those who DO NOT use bottles.....

I have nursed 4 babies and only used a bottle occasionally with breast milk for my 1st dd because grandpa helped me at night

Sick babies still figure out how to nurse. I have never had any nursing strikes.
I have never had supply problems, I nurse on demand and I think that is key. Babies will eat when they are hungry.
__________________
June wife to Jason. Mom to Kianna(8/4/02), Kody (4/23/04), Katalina (born at home 5/16/07) and Kaden (born at home 11/23/09) and baby #5 due 11/27/12

junejay4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
e_roehm23's Avatar
e_roehm23
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KY
Posts: 656
My Mood:
Re: Questions for those who DO NOT use bottles.....

So, do you think I should just take away the bottle cold turkey?
__________________
Jesus Loving SAHM & Keeper of the home to my little "Drummer Boy" 2/13/09
& DD 9/9/11& my live in Therapist DH


My ISO/IHA http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show....php?t=1327857
e_roehm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
tibeca's Avatar
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,936
My Mood:
Re: Questions for those who DO NOT use bottles.....

Nursing is harder than drinking from a bottle. If I were a baby, I'd opt for less work!

That said, I wouldn't do it cold turkey. In your specific case, I would get an sns. I would pump after every feed and put that in the sns for the next feed. If she started getting fussy at the breast, I would start the sns and allow her to get what was in the sns as well as what she could manage at the breast. I suggest contacting an IBCLC or LLL leader for your specific situation since there are more factors than just deciding to skip bottles.
__________________
Tibeca, Certified Breastfeeding Specialist

Baby Monkeys on Hyena Cart
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
You Tell 'Em's Avatar
You Tell 'Em
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: California
Posts: 8,619
Re: Questions for those who DO NOT use bottles.....

1. My LO is 16 months old and she's never drank from a bottle. (We tried 2-3 times and she wouldn't go for it so I never tried again). She's gotten the occasional cold and did fine with nursing. It's easier for a baby to nurse than drink from a bottle when sick.

2. My LO has yet to have one, and if I *thought* she did it was for a 3-4 hour period, if that

3. Your body will catch up. That's the beauty of supply and demand and the way your body works.

I wonder, not sure if it would be helpful, but since you said your DD prefers it to be "semi-full" would maybe be to start with the pump until you let down then latch her on? I know some women can't feel their let down but if you are one who can (like me) then it might work.

Also what pp said about IBCLC/LLL are good places to start.
__________________

Are you a WAHM crafter looking for an easy way to track inventory and pricing? I <3 using Craftybase!
Looking to add an advocacy design to your own shirt? All screen printed transfers are for sale on my Etsy store!
You Tell 'Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 21,967
My Mood:
Re: Questions for those who DO NOT use bottles.....

I suction out noses and nurse. So far havnt had any issues with them not nursing at all. They may not as much when sick but they have never fully refused. I havnt ever had a child that was just boob go on a nursing strike when bottles are involved im sure it different.

Since you are not really sure how your lo will do without the bottle you need to watch output. Wet diapers need to be what you focus on when giving up the bottle to make sure they are getting enough.

I would recommend a nurse in. Try to spend as much of the day laying around nursing and offering the breast to help boost your supply and get your lo nursing. Dont offer the bottle just the breast. It will prob be very stressful the first few days since you are break a bottle habit but should get better once you get threw those first couple days.

I have a tongue tied baby who had 3 spots done and a very crummy latch. Hang in there mama your doing great!
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
PerfectFifth's Avatar
PerfectFifth
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 1,053
My Mood:
Re: Questions for those who DO NOT use bottles.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_roehm23 View Post
I would LOVE to be able to increase my supply by just nursing, but dd won't take the breast unless it is semi-full. Also, I've noticed that she does not empty the breast (I can still pump 1/2-1 oz after she nurses, but she still acts hungry)

I'm wanting to give up bottles because they have caused so many problems, but I'm not sure I will be able to maintain supply if she is not emptying the breast. Right now dd is sick and has not wanted to nurse for the last 3 days
Just wanted to point out that breasts are continuously refilling as they're being emptied, so there is no point ever when there is not at least a little milk in there. You could literally have baby on the boob all day long, and the breasts would just continue to make milk. I'd just nurse, nurse, nurse on demand, and let your body adjust. As long as your DD is getting plenty of wet and dirty diapers, she is getting all the milk she needs!
__________________
Maria, wife to A (5/31/08), Mom to DS1 (8/10), DS2 (6/12), and DD (4/15)
~*Now hand-crafting cute and comfy MAMA CLOTH PADS and DOLL CARRIERS! Visit Simple Pear on Etsy.*~
PerfectFifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.