Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
NorwexMa
Registered Users
seller

Freezer Meals Thread

Looking for tried and true freezer meals- please include recipes when possible! Also include any tips for prep/freezing/thawing/preparing/ect !

Advertisement

I enjoy being thrifty green with Norwex! http://leahrus.norwex.biz
NorwexMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Christina
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Freezer Meals Thread

Any limitations? No red meat, no poultry,...etc??

I have quite a few I really like but I'd hate to post them if you are opposed to certain foods.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
jemilyon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think it's for everyone so put whatever you want, Christina I'm not a huge recipe girl but I'll try to pay attention next time I prepare a meal that would be good frozen to share with you guys.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
s2grace
Registered Users
seller

Yes! I'll share mine when I get home (we are at our other house and all my recipes are down south) Here are a few to remind me which ones to look for

Chicken Tortilla Soup
Mini Cheddar meatloaf
cheesy potatoes with ham
banana muffins (I add choc. chips!)
no bake energy bites
the best choc. chip cookie recipe!
Old 03-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
jakeysmama
Registered Users
seller

Yay! I was hoping someone would do this. I don't have any freezer recipes but would love to get some. I can never think of what to cook
Old 03-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
challmeyeralways
Registered Users
seller
seller

Breakfast casserole

1# bacon
1 onion chopped
6 eggs lightly beaten together
4 c cheddar cheese grated
1 1/2 c cottage cheese
1 1/4 c swiss cheese shredded

cook the bacon and onions together drain and cool

mix all of the ingredients together including the bacon and onion mix

bake in a greased 9x13 at 350 for 35-40 mins until knife in center is clean

This one freezes well but needs to be thawed completely before baking or it will mess with the baking time. I usually take it out of the freezer in the evening (Wed) and serve it two mornings later (Fri)
Old 03-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
challmeyeralways
Registered Users
seller
seller

Another breakfast dish (we like these)

-a big bag of country style hash browns (1# 14 oz is the size I have)
-can of cream of soup (mush, chick, whatever) or sour cream if you are opposed to c/o soups
-3 cups or so of shredded cheddar
-1/4 c melted butter
-original mrs dash to taste (or other seasonings of your choice)

mix together, bake in greased 9x13 covered at 350 for about an hour and a half.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
challmeyeralways
Registered Users
seller
seller

Chicken Divan

2c rice
2 bunches broccoli lightly steamed and chopped (about a bag of frozen works too)
2-3 c of cooked chicken (I cube or shred left over chicken in 2 cup portion sizes for easy dinners later)
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1/2 c mayo
1-2 tsp lemon juice
1 TBS curry
1/2 c grated cheese (the pre-grated stuff from costco is good)
1/2 - 3/4 c bread crumbs
1 tsp melted butter

combine soup with mayo, lemon, and curry. Keep the mix relatively thin by adding milk as necessary. Salt if needed..

Grease 9x13 pan. layer rice, followed by borccoli and then chicken. Pour soup mix over the broccoli. Sprinkle cheese on top. Combine crumbs and butter and sprinkle over the top of dish. If baking now, bake at 350 for 25-30 mins. If freezing, leave it unbaked, cover and freeze. When ready to cook, either thaw and cook according to directions, or lower heat to 325 and bake for an hour or until done. (all the ingredients are safe, so you are heating to serve, not to cook.)
Old 03-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
challmeyeralways
Registered Users
seller
seller

One thing I do is not so much Freezer meals, but bulk prep...

I dice onions and keep them in the freezer. They break up easily and if cooking anyway, don't make a difference if previously frozen

I fry up a TON of hamburger meat all at once and season with either taco seasoning or Italian seasonings. Freeze in 2 lb portions. (If I am cooking 10 lbs of meat, I separate into 5 portions... I do not care enough to use a scale) (oh, smaller families might want to do 1 lb portions... I just have a big family)

If I am making a batch of cookies, I will make 3 or 4 instead and freeze individual balls of dough to bake later. (freeze on a cookie sheet until firm, then transfer to a ZipLock bag)

If I am making meat loaf, I will freeze meat balls (same as cookie dough) for later use.

Umm... Spaghetti sauce... I will buy my ingredients in bulk and freeze portion sizes... So... a #10 can of diced tomatoes, a #10 can of tomato puree, a few cans of tomato paste (the small ones), sauteed onions and garlic, ground beef, olives... ect... I make it in a HUGE stock pot and then freeze in smaller portions (for us, 8-10 cups for spaghetti, 4-6 cups for lasagna, 2-4 cups for pizza)

umm... when I make bread from scratch, I can freeze small balls for biscuits or rolls, or bigger portions to make a loaf out of... mix up dough, let rise, punch down, form and freeze... when ready to bake, thaw, allow to rise, an bake according to recipe.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
challmeyeralways
Registered Users
seller
seller

Lasagna Casserole

1 lb ground beef
1/2 c chopped onion
4 c tomato sauce
1T basil
1T oregano
3 cloves garlic
1/2 t salt
8 oz cottage cheese
8 oz pkg pasta
8 oz mozzarella cheese (any kind will work, but I like mozza)

Brown ground beef and onion. Drain grease. Add tomato sauce, basil, oregano, garlic and salt. Allow meat and sauce to simmer about 20 mins. Boil pasta according to package (al dente) drain and combine with meat sauce. Add cottage cheese. Stri until everything is evenly mixed. Pour into a 9x13. Top with cheese. Bake at 350 until cheese is melted and bubbly.

If you freeze this, be sure to allow to thaw completely. (all day on the counter if you do that or two days in the fridge) If the dish is not completely thawed, the baking time will be off.