Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Mama cloth

Not sure if this should go in the Diaper chat section or not, but I have been thinking about using mama cloth for awhile now, and have some questions.

I hear Gem cloth is really popular? What is the best for a staydry option?

I have a fairly heavy flow the first couple of days and prefer my pads a little on the longer side to feel secure from leaks... Right now i like the length of the Always super thin overnights.

As far as backing goes.... i think I am leaning towards PUL, since i dont fully trust wool or fleece from not leaking through my undies... talk to me about that??

Another option I want is wings that have a snap to hold it in place... how does mama cloth compare to sposie pads in terms of shifting around? does it stay pretty well in place once on?

Do you wash it in a small load all by itself or wash with your diapers?

Tell me everything you think I should know so I can make an informed purchase
Thanks mamas!!

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mama cloth

ok! so they stay in place awesome, so comfy!! i use the fleece backed around the house but i would rather have PUL backed for out of the house (but that's just me) you can get the overnight pads for your heavy days, they are longer. i wash mine in a small load with a towel (to get good adjatation) but you can wash with your diapers. HTH.

i've never tried gem cloth so i can't hemp you there.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My reply in red:

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrlgrl105 View Post
Not sure if this should go in the Diaper chat section or not, but I have been thinking about using mama cloth for awhile now, and have some questions.

I hear Gem cloth is really popular?
Yes, because they are affordable, and well made. I haven't personally tried them, but my sister has, and she loves them.

What is the best for a staydry option?
Maybe Minky? Though I've never felt "wet" with a cloth pad. I like bamboo or minky the best.

I have a fairly heavy flow the first couple of days and prefer my pads a little on the longer side to feel secure from leaks... Right now i like the length of the Always super thin overnights.

Just get a good overnight pad. My favorites are from Homestead Emporium... the Ultimini is awesome for overnights.

As far as backing goes.... i think I am leaning towards PUL, since i dont fully trust wool or fleece from not leaking through my undies... talk to me about that??

The only backing I really like is fleece. It really doesn't leak. I promise! PUL just doesn't feel good in a pad.

Another option I want is wings that have a snap to hold it in place... how does mama cloth compare to sposie pads in terms of shifting around? does it stay pretty well in place once on?

Snaps are great, and no, they do not shift around. Though if you go with PUL, they might.

Do you wash it in a small load all by itself or wash with your diapers?

I usually rinse them with cold water first (hot sets blood stains) and then wash with whatever needs washing.

Tell me everything you think I should know so I can make an informed purchase

I personally prefer pads that do not have extra layers of fabric on the wings. Just one layer of fleece. It cuts down on the bulk.
Thanks mamas!!

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
LaLa23
Registered Users
seller

I used the pink dasiy bamboos and fuzzibunz stay dry for post partum. I'm seriously in love!
The fuzzibunz are too small in my opinion. The pink daisy size M are HUGE I never even came close to soaking through them postpartum. They were my overnight go to. Only the fuzzibunz were "stay dry" but I didn't feel wet in either. I have some microfiber panties and they did slide around a bit in those but only those. They both have snaps and pul. I love mama cloth. SO much more comfy. You could not pay me to go back to disposables.
And it does just go in with the diaper laundry. I just make sure I do a cold rinse first. I do rinse them out in the sink when I change them too.

I usually use the diva cup. Have you considered that too?
LaLa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Too funny, you should post this thread.... I've been wondering about mama cloth for awhile but hesitant to ask bc I didn't know where to post. Even considered making my own.... looks easy enough.

BTW, what's a diva cup?
Servant4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
Skybaby712
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servant4Christ View Post
Too funny, you should post this thread.... I've been wondering about mama cloth for awhile but hesitant to ask bc I didn't know where to post. Even considered making my own.... looks easy enough.

BTW, what's a diva cup?
A Diva Cup a a type of menstrual cup and it's worn inside of you like a tampon is (you put it in differently than a tampon of course). I've only used it for 1 cycle (finally got AF) and loved it. You can't even feel it and it's great for swimming too. I like to use the diva cup with a cloth pantiliner.

And OP, I agree with everything PP said. My entire mama cloth stash so far is GEM cloth. They are cute too :-) They are good quality, especially for the price! I dont have experience woth other brands yet. I know it sounds weird but I don't have leaks with the fleece backing. I guess it is like a fleece cover. The fleece sort of repels the liquid to stay in the cloth.
Skybaby712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

awesome! thanks for all the replys so far I am going to look into the gem cloth... does anyone have a link? is it a wahm?
Old 03-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
Abbaloosa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I also love my GEM cloth!! www.gemcloth.webs.com That's all I have. The cotton velour, fleece backed kind...have never felt wet with those or even the one or two flannel topped I tried. I haven't tried PUL and don't plan to....never had a leak even for postpartum. They stay in place better than sposies (mine have snaps/fleece) because they don't peel up or stick to you or fold over. I will never go back to sposies, I have several packs I need to donate somewhere because I can't force myself to use them up.

I use a wet pail, keep them soaked in cold water and change it every time I add one. There is very little left on them by the time I wash. I throw them in with whatever I happen to be washing next.
Abbaloosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks! I just emailed her to see if I could do a custom starter kit with the heavy flow pads being a bit longer, just for my comfort to feel secure against leaks.

So with a fleece backed pad, what about compression leaks on a heavy flow day if you have a desk job and sit for a living??

Also, how many pads do you find you need of each flow type, such as how many longer ones for heavy flow, medium flow and light days?

Sorry for all the questions! im so excited to try mama cloth!

Last edited by swrlgrl105; 03-27-2012 at 02:45 PM.
swrlgrl105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #10
kristinco
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mama cloth is great, I think you'll be happy to convert! I used to get chemical burns from sposie pads. No more with cloth. Fleece backed should be fine, but I have some PUL as well, never had a leak with either. I like minky or cotton velour inners. Mother Moon Pads are very nice, but a bit more expensive than GEM. Leslie's Boutique mama pads are very nice as well and have a hidden layer of PUL with a cotton velour inner. Just some more options.