Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2006, 02:13 PM   #1
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is it normal for dd to do this??

Dd is 8.5 months and about 5 times a day she does this thing where she shakes her head from side to side. It is short side to side shake kind of like if she had a fly on her face or was looking for a nipple. It is starting to worry me and i guess i am paying a lot more attention to it. I am not noticing any thing else weird-just this head shake thing.
She is a little bit behind according to the dr. because she is not sitting up, not crawling(only army crawls and lots of rolling), and when you hold her up in the air and bounce her she won't put her feet on the ground like she is supposed to. I probably shouldn't be worried but i can't help it. She appears to be super smart and babbles like crazy(da, da, hi sounds, etc.).
Please someone assure me that this head shake thing is normal.

Advertisement

Old 06-13-2006, 02:32 PM   #2
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is it normal for dd to do this??

Could she maybe have water in her ears or fluid of some sort? My son just went to the Dr. because he was off balance and falling all over the place (I thought it was due to a head injury he sustained at our gym several weeks ago and was REALLY worried, but he is much better now with some decongestant/antihistimine.) I've heard of babies doing the head shaking thing when their ears are plugged too so maybe call your advice nurse and tell them the symptoms you just described and they can advise you on what to do. Hopefully it's something mild like that and sometimes a call to your ped's office can relieve some worries. It's especially nice if they can advise you over the phone...............no co-pays that way!!
teachermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:44 PM   #3
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DD is a little behind in somethings as well and she just turned 8 months yesterday. She has been doing the head thing since she was born. She does it when she is tired mostly. My DD is not crawling and will only sit up with support. I worry a little sometimes, but she is going to do things on her own.
We have autisim in our family as well. I am not concerened about that because we have one of the best doctors and our DD has been very consistant with eye contact. I think the reason she is a little delayed is that she is too comfortable. She did some things on target, but not cosistantly KWIM? She is babbling and starting to use her hands a lot where before she used her feet for EVERYTHING. I am not going to worry just yet, and unless your doctor is really concerned about this, you probably shouldn't either.
She does love to stand up a lot too. All of the milestones are just suggestions, give it a while longer before you start to worry anymore. Some doctors do seem to worry over every little thing, but mine does not.
Hope this helps a little.
jjaelovesenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:12 PM   #4
momof4
Registered Users
seller

If it were my kid, I'd worry a bit about that, too. See if you can get it on camera, so that you can show it to a doctor, even if she doesn't do it over the course of a visit. If there is some problem, you are doing a wonderful thing in catching it so young.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:48 PM   #5
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

touch her head and try to hold it still when she does it. My son has seizures. His eyes go vacant. You can't "snap them out" of a seizure. Try a loud noise or something when she does it, or moving her, a bright light etc. But I have heard of other kids doing it too, so it could be "nothing". The Drs love it if you can tape it. Let us know what you discover (if you can stop it with light/sound/touch or get it on tape etc)