Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2007, 10:28 PM   #1
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

"In wake of vaccine, new pneumonia strains emerge"

http://www.boston.com/yourlife/healt...trains_emerge/

CHICAGO --While a new vaccine has all but eradicated common causes of pneumonia, meningitis and ear infections in children, new strains of bacteria not covered by the vaccine have emerged, U.S. researchers said Tuesday.

Now they may have found it.

Researchers from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have noted an increase in the rates of bacterial infections not covered by the current pneumococcal vaccine among native children in Alaska.

"People are on top of it. It is not unexpected, but it is important," Dr. Katherine Poehling of Brenner Children's Hospital at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, said in a telephone interview.

The vaccine, also called heptavalent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine or PCV7, is marketed as Prevnar in the United States and Canada and as Prevenar elsewhere in the world.

Given initially at 2, 4 and 6 months of age, it protects children from bacteria that often cause ear infections and drug-resistant pneumonia.

"Because of the surveillance, we are seeing it and we can act in a timely manner and maintain the benefits that we've seen," said Poehling, who wrote a commentary on the study, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

The CDC's Dr. Rosalyn Singleton and colleagues studied pneumococcal infections such as pneumonia, meningitis or blood infections known as bacteremia that occurred from 1995 through 2006.

They found that in the three years after introduction of Prevnar, from 2001 through 2003, these diseases fell by 67 percent among native Alaskan children younger than age 2 and 61 percent in non-native children in the same age group.

Between 2001-2003 and 2004-2006, these infection rates remained stable in non-native Alaskan children younger than 2, but jumped 82 percent among Alaska Native children, who are more prone to the infections.

Since 2004, diseases caused by strains of bacteria not covered by the vaccine have risen by 140 percent compared with the pre-vaccine period.

During the same period, diseases caused by the vaccine-covered strains fell by 96 percent.

"The big news is the vaccine is highly successful. It has prevented a tremendous amount of disease, and it is still preventing a lot of disease in these children," Poehling said.

She said a new vaccine by Wyeth is in late-stage clinical trials that could help protect against these new strains.

The current vaccine, one of Wyeth's biggest-selling products with annual sales of more than $2 billion, targets seven strains of pneumococcal bacterial.

The new vaccine would target 13 strains of the bacterial. Wyeth has said it plans to seek regulatory approvals for the new vaccine in early 2009. GlaxoSmithKline is working on a rival to Prevnar. REUTERS

Advertisement

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:36 PM   #2
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: "In wake of vaccine, new pneumonia strains emerge"

And people wonder why I don't vax. Ugh.

The diseases that they tend to vax for, our bodies are USED to fighting. They've been doing so for hundreds of years. Some live in our systems all the time, so when they vax and kill of the inactive strains, they are leaving that spot open to another form or disease that our bodies are NOT used to. This means it doesn't know how to fight the disease/strain and that can lead to far more problems than the original ever could have caused. Yes, some vaccines can be a good thing. But they are few and far between.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:43 PM   #3
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
Yes, some vaccines can be a good thing. But they are few and far between.
I totally agree with that. The more I find and read the more I begin to think that. We started out vaxing Jackson and then decied to wait and now I am not sure we will vax at all, besides probably a few that are few and far between.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:51 PM   #4
myrrh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is so frusterating to see these things. They're lauded as being soooo successful. All the while, we've got these super viruses mutating into diseases and viruses we can't fight off with even a good immune system I find it very scary
myrrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:34 PM   #5
MelissaCoffey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I seem to remember hearing this is happening with the chicken pox vaccine too....that there are now more cases of shingles? Anyone know about this?
Old 04-26-2007, 06:02 AM   #6
jackie010307
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaCoffey View Post
I seem to remember hearing this is happening with the chicken pox vaccine too....that there are now more cases of shingles? Anyone know about this?
I don't know about more cases of shingles now due to the vaccine since they usually occur in older people. They can occur in kids but it's unusual. The chicken pox vaccine does not protect against shingles since it's caused by the same virus as chicken pox. When they give the vaccine the body is "supposed" to develop an immunity to chicken pox, but because that basically means that you have had chicken pox then it is possible for you to get shingles. Once the virus is introduced into the body, no matter by what means, it continues to live even though we have no symptoms. Later in life it shows itself again as shingles.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:50 AM   #7
britjojo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Shingles is now occurring in children as young as four years old, because of the vaccine. More worryingly however is the fact that in older people, shingles used to be suppressed by exposure to chicken pox-that exposure has been reduced, and so shingles is now occurring in hugely increased incidence rates.

But don't worry.
We have a vaccine for that too.
britjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:12 AM   #8
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ View Post
http://www.boston.com/yourlife/healt...trains_emerge/

She said a new vaccine by Wyeth is in late-stage clinical trials that could help protect against these new strains.

The new vaccine would target 13 strains of the bacterial. Wyeth has said it plans to seek regulatory approvals for the new vaccine in early 2009. GlaxoSmithKline is working on a rival to Prevnar. REUTERS

honestly, do they have a goal of no sickness EVER??? what is wrong with kids building their immune systems naturally? oh, wait, that is not as profitible as vaxing.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:35 AM   #9
snowbird25ca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You know what bugs me about that article is that they talk as if they've never witnessed serotype replacement before, and that this is a brand new thing... they've known about it for years - why do you think this new 13 strain vaccine is so close to being approved?

Then there's the whole problem with unrelated diseases that seem to be appearing in populations that previously didn't usually get the disease - like staph infections... studies have shown that a person vaccinated with prevnar is more likely to contract staph.

How can they call a vaccine effective when it reduces disease by 97%, but causes another one to go up 140%? Where's the net benefit in that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaCoffey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie010307 View Post
I don't know about more cases of shingles now due to the vaccine since they usually occur in older people. They can occur in kids but it's unusual. The chicken pox vaccine does not protect against shingles since it's caused by the same virus as chicken pox. When they give the vaccine the body is "supposed" to develop an immunity to chicken pox, but because that basically means that you have had chicken pox then it is possible for you to get shingles. Once the virus is introduced into the body, no matter by what means, it continues to live even though we have no symptoms. Later in life it shows itself again as shingles.

Yes, there is an increase in the # of cases of shingles being seen, and it's moving into a younger population that never would've gotten shingles years ago unless they had an immune system problem. Additionally, chicken pox is still occurring in vaccinated kids, and instead of getting it when they're younger and it's a relatively mild childhood disease, they are getting it in their teen years when there is more potential for complications... it's a documented epidemiological shift - but of course the answer is a 2nd c-pox vaccine, and possible lifelong boosters.

The problem with the c-pox vaccine is that it's a weakened version of the wild virus, so the virus is injected into the body & *supposed* immunity is developed and the virus becomes dormant and lives in the spinal fluid. Regardless of whether you catch wild c-pox or are given the vaccine, the virus lives in your spinal fluid once you've had it. The difference between wild & vaccine strain, is that the wild virus enters the body differently and a stronger immune response is generated. Stronger immune response means that the virus is kept more contained so to speak, so that in times of weakened immune systems, it's less likely to cause shingles.

And yes, regular c-pox outbreaks are thought to cause a natural boosting effect and prevent epidemics of shingles. For the record, if someone has shingles with open sores, they are contagious and a person can get chicken pox from them... just in case you're wanting to expose your kids to chicken pox.

~ This will happen with the HPV vax too, another strain will just move in to take it's place. Some studies have postulated that HPV viruses may be like gut flora in some senses and that removing them will just change the balance. Plus there are so many different strains that they are constantly finding new ones... anyways, that's another vax that is a huge thorn in my side when I see it advertised or raved about.

Last edited by snowbird25ca; 04-28-2007 at 12:37 AM.
snowbird25ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 01:32 AM   #10
Ali
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by britjojo View Post
Shingles is now occurring in children as young as four years old, because of the vaccine. More worryingly however is the fact that in older people, shingles used to be suppressed by exposure to chicken pox-that exposure has been reduced, and so shingles is now occurring in hugely increased incidence rates.

But don't worry.
We have a vaccine for that too.
I'm curious. Why do you say that exposure to chicken pox suppressed shingles? I've had shingles so I've read a ton about it. I have never seen anything about exposure to chicken pox suppressing shingles, only that it caused shingles.

Ali is offline   Reply With Quote