Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #11
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Only gonna tell this story to you ladies (embarrassing)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaChellsRun View Post
I was also very absent minded my last pregnancy. This one I've learned my lesson and use the timer on EVERYTHING! I'm terrible about putting water on to boil and forgetting about it until I smell another burning pan, leaving something in the oven because it just needs 1 more minute and of course... 20 minutes late oh ya something in the oven! Now I use the timer even if it's for one minute.
Oh yeah! I use a timer for pancakes even when I'm not preggo. Yes, setting a timer for one minute 50 times is a pain, but my pancakes turn out great!

Advertisement

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Oh Mama I laughed until I cried at this! I have SOOOOOOO been there!
Hugs!!
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #13
jenni_michelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes View Post
Oh Mama I laughed until I cried at this! I have SOOOOOOO been there!
Hugs!!
Yeah after 3 days I'm slowly beginning to find it funny. At the time when hubby started laughing it was making me bawl more, cause I just felt so well idiotic. It doesn't help that my forgetfulness is happening everyday, multiple times. It just gets old. During the end of the conversation with my mom hubby was like remember to tell her when Jayden's (our oldest) first football game is. The game is April 15th and I say to her 'his game is August 15th' hubby goes 'NO it's April 15th' and I'm like 'oh yeah, that's what I meant' and my mom just laughs. UGH
Old 03-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Oh mama, it's not that bad. Absentmindedness happens to all of us.

With DD, I had to give up breastfeeding early. One evening, DH and MIL were in the living room cuddling with DD (she was about a month old), so I took the break time to take some of my freshly washed bottles and sterilize them on the stove. I set them up in the largest pot, it was most of the bottles I owned, and got called away because they were leaving to go play poker for a few hours. I chatted with them for a few minutes, said goodbye, then DD needed a diaper change, so I did that, and the movie they were watching was almost over so I sat down for a few minutes to watch that all while entertaining my little girl.

I'm sure you can see where this is going. About 30 minutes later, I caught a whiff of something horrible and then suddenly remembered OMG the bottles! I put DD into her swing and ran back into the kitchen. Boiled the dutch oven completely dry and all my bottles were pure plastic slag and the smell was aweful. I had a moment of pure panic, and then shut the burner off and moved the pot to another burner. I don't know how close I was to everything catching fire. I sat on the kitchen floor and cried for I don't know how long. Then I picked myself up and realised we couldn't stay there, the burnt plastic smell was beyond horrible. I carefully picked up the pot and moved it into the garage, opened all the windows I could to the cold late november wind to air it out and called DH only to remember he had no minutes left on his phone. I then had to call my parents and tell them what a negligent parent I was that I had nearly burnt my house down around me and my newborn baby, packed up the couple bottles I still had with some formula and took a cab over to their place ot spend a few hours there while the house aired out. Mom was so worried I"d do something like that again she bought me an electric sterilizer the next day - it has an automatic shut off.

So you flooded your house and had some massive clean up. I nearly burnt mine down, released all kinds of toxins into the air, and had to replace my dutch oven and all my daughter's bottles. And we both looked like idiots. It happens.

Last edited by Computermama; 03-28-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
B+EBabyDipes
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePatootiesMama
I did the exact same thing, except it was in the bathroom and BEFORE I got pregnant! The worst part was I never remembered, my dh found it about 20 minutes later.

So sorry you're having a rough time, but know that you are NOT alone in doing absent minded things! When I overflowed our bathroom sink, I called my aunt who told me that her friend had just recently done something similar in their brand new house. She was soaking clothes upstairs, left the sink running to fill up, forgot about it and LEFT THE HOUSE. 2 hours later she returned home and when she opened the front door water poured out. They basically had to gut their entire house and re-do it. That story made me feel better since I was obviously not the only person to have ever done something like that (although I felt terrible for her!).

I have also done that.... Actually more than once hugs
B+EBabyDipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #16
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfgirl View Post
Oh yeah! I use a timer for pancakes even when I'm not preggo. Yes, setting a timer for one minute 50 times is a pain, but my pancakes turn out great!
I have a comfy stool in the kitchen now so I can sit while making pancakes and tacos

I broke a tooth my last pregnancy and DH came in to find me on the kitchen floor bawling my eyes out, he thought something terrible had happened.... Which I thought breaking a front tooth while 8 months pregnant was terrible but apparently I was overreacting.

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #17
janay0865
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

(((hugs))) mama!! I have so almost done that!! I know we have all been there!!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #18
booth2490
Registered Users
seller

Oh, good thing you caught it when you did. I do stuff like this all the time, not as bad, but for me it doesn't go away when the baby comes. (leave a burner on, forget a conversation) Thankfully my electric kettle and iron have auto shutoff.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:48 AM   #19
lilac0226
Registered Users

Thank you so much for sharing your story, my hubby thinks I am the only one that gets super forgetful while preggo, glad to know I'm not alone. Big hugs, you are my hero, I hope you can laugh about it now.
lilac0226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:53 AM   #20
Spikettes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When DS1 was a year old I lost my job. So I became a SAHM for a little while. Well, one particular night he was cranky and didn't want to sleep. I got very little sleep with him but he was a happy little guy that morning. We saw DH off to work and I put DS1 in his jumper seat to play while I got me something to drink. I turned on the tea kettle (on the gas stove) and sat down on the couch. I do not know how long I was asleep for... but I woke up to the smoke detector going off in the kitchen. I raced in there and the kettle was bone dry and was covered in black soot. There were no flames at least, so I turned everything off and threw the kettle in the kitchen sink. All the while I was telling DS1 it's okay mommy is fixing it. I realized no sounds were coming from DS1 and raced back to the living room. DS was slumped over fast asleep in his jumpy seat. I picked him and snuggled with him for a I don't know how long while I bawled. Because honestly the first sight of him slumped over made my heart stop and fear the worst. He was fine of course but I felt like an epic failure. I still have the tea kettle and use it. I have never been able to get all the black marks off of the outside. When your body is under stress (sleep deprivation, growing a small child.) it will make you do crazy things as It tries to adjust. Thankfully my pregnancy brain isn't too bad yet... I more have that issue when I get 4 hours of sleep or less. The things we do for motherhood and out of love.

Last edited by Spikettes; 04-02-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Spikettes is offline   Reply With Quote