Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
Registered Users
They have PT for urinary incontience! (maybe a little TMI?)

So here is my little public service announcement.
My second dd is 8 months old now, and I decided that I was tired of not being able to run or jump without leaking a little pee (which actually has been a problem since I was pregnant with my first in 2007). Not to get into too much detail, but suffice it to say that though is isn't a major problem, it is just not the way I want to live the rest of my life. I've been doing my kegels, and it wasn't doing the trick. My doula had mentioned at some point that there is physical therapy for urinary incontinence, so I asked my midwife about it at my last appointment. I had been blown off by the nurses in the office before, so I was specific that I wanted to be sent to PT. She referred me to a physical therapist, and I have been twice now.

It seems like this is kind of a well kept secret, so I thought I'd share the info. I asked the PT how people can find someone for this and she showed me this website, so I thought I'd share, since I can't possibly be the only one with this issue! Hopefully some of you will find this helpful.

fgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Where's that darn "like" button!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Loving wife and a devoted mama to 13: three in my arms
(Hayden, Felicity and Teagan), and ten in heaven.
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: They have PT for urinary incontience! (maybe a little TMI?)

oh shoot, i'm bummed i couldn't read the pdf adobe isn't working. I wish you the best!!!
johnsbabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
Registered Users
Re: They have PT for urinary incontience! (maybe a little TMI?)

Yes, I felt the same way when I first heard about this while I was pregnant with my first. Women's health PTs are also able to help with pelvic pain, pain during sex, pain from episitomies or tearing, rectal issues, etc. My PT also has had success with solving prolapse issues, which isn't usually a PT issue but can sometimes be. If you need more specialized diagnosis or treatment, you can go to a urogynecologist (trained in both female urology and gynecology) which can be found here

I haven't had complete success with my PT treatment, but it has improved things and the techniques and tips from just a few visits are ones I can use for years afterwards. And I do think that the treatment is better the more you practice it, which I don't do enough. Kegels are the core of it, but I also used a biofeedback sensor. My PT was very good at teaching many different ways and techinques to do Kegels, plus to release and relax in between, and to use your whole core to stregnthen. Do Kegels standing, sitting, laying down, whenever you see water, whenever you see a certain number, at stop lights. Do them at just 20% power and 100% power and everything in between. Do them for a count of 10 and release of 10. Do them at a mix of intervals, like to the beat of a song you're listening to. Do them in combination of more and less power and long and short intervals, as though you were holding and releasing with the ups and downs of a roller coaster. And release in between.... my PT says that if you are holding them all the time, the muscles get overtired and weaker, plus a little less blood flow. You must be able to release in order for them to tighten strong.
Enjoying life as a family of five
Small $3 fitted, $2 covers
Medium fitteds, covers, AI2, $8 ppd and less

Last edited by aggfan; 03-30-2012 at 10:13 AM.
aggfan is offline   Reply With Quote