Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #21
Cupcake213
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Seriously?

My nurse asked the same thing and began to tell me all the help the hospitals offers as far as lactation consultants and what not. My SIL wanted to breastfeed so bad and she had to many issues with her supply and couldn't. So I know unfortunately some people can't. Hopefully that is how she meant it. Best of luck breastfeeding your little one, I enjoyed it so much.

Advertisement

Cupcake213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #22
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

every hospital is different. I've delivered at 2.
Hospital #1 birth #1 - similac bag filled with tons of formula
hospital #1 birth #2 - a breastfeeding burp cloth
hospital #2 birth #3 - nothing (don't know if they have then for formula moms. they may have just not bothered to give me one because I was VERY vocal about keeping all formula away from my son. LOL )
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #23
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For many women trying to breastfeed those formula samples set them up for failure there you are at 2-3 am baby has wanted to nurse all day around the clock ,mom swears she is not making enough milk but she really is baby is just going through a growth spurt. There is that sample can of formula in the cabinet mom or dad decides to use it,causing nipple confusion,low supply,etc.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #24
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

I got formula samples during my 6 week prenatal intake appointment! Ugh. I wish the medical field would actually support bfing like they claim to!
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #25
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattayanna_mom View Post
For many women trying to breastfeed those formula samples set them up for failure there you are at 2-3 am baby has wanted to nurse all day around the clock ,mom swears she is not making enough milk but she really is baby is just going through a growth spurt. There is that sample can of formula in the cabinet mom or dad decides to use it,causing nipple confusion,low supply,etc.

this is very true. this happened my first time around. I didn't want to formula feed.. didn't even have bottles in the house. nurse suggested using some formula in the hospital and for whatever reason told me not to breastfeed for a day. the bottles were easier when i was recovering from an unexpected c-section and baby was screaming at the breast. i figured it wouldn't hurt anything to have a few bottles. I was wrong and it ruined any possible chance of breastfeeding. after a day, my son REFUSED to nurse again and would scream bloody murder. When we went home, I tried and he would scream. of course, they sent me home with a bag FULL of ready to feed formula so of course I gave that to my screaming son. I ended up pumping and not being able to nurse. I REFUSED to let that happen the 2nd and 3rd time around so I was very aggressive with making sure ALL formula stayed FAR away from us. this is the sort of thing formula companies are hoping will happen when they give you so many samples, even sending them to you at home while you are pregnant.
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #26
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

The only samples I received were two cans of formula in the mail from Similac.
When I left the hospital after giving birth, I got a bag of stuff sponsored by Similac but it did not contain any samples. There was a little cooler thing for breastmilk and some other stuff that I can't remember and was too exhausted to even look through at the time. I do think there were formula coupons, though.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #27
Darkfyre
Registered Users

So how about this. I got offered 2 bags at the hospital I delivered at the first was some dumb thing from Similac that I left on the table but the second was great. It was a bag from the company that supplied the hospital food it had a pack of Barrilla pasta and sauce! Since my son was early we were low on groceries. Its what we had for dinner the first night home!
Darkfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #28
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

You NEVER know what will happen! God forbid something happens to you, at least your dh will have the formula in the cabinets to use to feed your hungry baby. I always keep my samples until my babe isn't nursing anymore, not because my lack of confidence of my nursing, but because I'm realistic and know that something God forbid could happen to me.

myall4him2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #29
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by myall4him2
You NEVER know what will happen! God forbid something happens to you, at least your dh will have the formula in the cabinets to use to feed your hungry baby. I always keep my samples until my babe isn't nursing anymore, not because my lack of confidence of my nursing, but because I'm realistic and know that something God forbid could happen to me.
Woah, calm down. If something happened the grocery store is literally a minute down the road. Lol. As I explained, I completely understand things happen I was just bummed there wasn't anything BFing friendly in there and the nurses attitude wasn't very nice.

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #30
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugstrees

Woah, calm down. If something happened the grocery store is literally a minute down the road. Lol. As I explained, I completely understand things happen I was just bummed there wasn't anything BFing friendly in there and the nurses attitude wasn't very nice.
Lol. Around here walmart is also open 24 hrs a day.