Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Baby led weaning

I am considering baby led weaning, but I want to know what the real benefits are. If I do pureed foods, they will be homemade organic purees. I also would follow my son's cues with purees or table foods. No schedules, no set amount, and with purees i'd let him use his hands if he'd like to try feeding it to himself or tossing it around like babies do lol. if i am using a spoon for a particular feeding, i will stop feeding as soon as he starts acting full (he already lets me know when he's full when I am giving him BM,) and go slowly to avoid overfeeding. so other than avoiding overfeeding and letting baby play with the food, what are the benefits?

Advertisement

JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby led weaning

* Learning about different textures, with both their hands and mouth
* Seeing how whole foods look like and learning how to recognize them and ask for specific foods
* Learning how to grab different foods (whole hand with a banana, just the fingers with a pea)
* I think the taste turns a bit when you puree it, so with whole foods it's the real taste

There are probably more, but that is what I can think of right now.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
megenic
Registered Users
seller

For me, the biggest benefit to baby led weaning was the pure and simple ease for me as a mother. I HATED the idea of having to do purees, spoon feed a baby for countless months, make sure I brought food and a spoon and all that with me whenever we went out to eat...baby led weaning meant life was easier for this admittedly lazy mama!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I liked BLW because my kids learned how to handle food well really early. I liked that they learned when the gag reflex is higher in the mouth to prevent choking. When they get older the gag reflex is farther down the mouth so they don't gag as easy. Gagging helps prevent actual choking. BLW helped my kids develop their finger and fine motor skills. I also like it because they got used to the textures of the food we eat on a regular basis. There was no protesting eating veggies once they stopped being pureed because that was all they knew. I also liked how they could eat at the same time as us instead of me needing to feed them before meals. I know toddlers who can't handle food that isn't cut into small pieces. Not all babies who start with purees will be like that but it definitely helped my kids know how to really handle food and get the concept of taking bites and using the pincer grasp early. The kids liked being in charge of eating. I started with purees with my oldest and she was grabbing the spoon and trying to feed herself. It is hard for them to feed themselves if you have food in little bite size pieces that are hard to pick up. It also cuts down on the calories when you puree it.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 03-29-2012 at 06:29 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
Erinne
Registered Users

We did a combo of blw and purees and it worked well for us. We started trying just blw when dd was 6 months and she had fun playing with food for a few months, but by 9 months she was really starting to be hungry and couldn't self-feed enough to be happy, so we added purees. We still let her do all the self-feeding she was doing before, we just added some mama-mashed homemade food to it and dd loved it.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by megenic
For me, the biggest benefit to baby led weaning was the pure and simple ease for me as a mother. I HATED the idea of having to do purees, spoon feed a baby for countless months, make sure I brought food and a spoon and all that with me whenever we went out to eat...baby led weaning meant life was easier for this admittedly lazy mama!
Completely agree. I did jarred baby food for kid #1. I did homemade everything for kid #2. I started out doing the same for kid #3, but he wasn't taking to it (6 months old.) I tried for a couple of weeks and stopped. At 8 months old, I tried again and he still wasn't having it. At first i was worried, but then i relaxed and let me tell you, it was really wonderful not having to constantly think about having to feed him solids. Finally, at 10 months old he began self-feeding table foods. With kid #4, while i did offer things from time to time, I never bothered to introduce baby food and waited until he self fed as well, which was around 14 months old. Both the younger 2 kids breastfed for 3.5 years and 2 years, respectively (I weaned them at same time.)
Old 03-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think the biggest benefit in the long run is that you don't have to reintroduce foods all over again. If you start your baby off with pureed veggies, then try to give them regular veggies, there is a good chance they will resist them and you will have to go about trying to get them to eat them like they are new foods, not ones that they had been eating all along. I saw this with my first child and have seen it multiple times in my friends kids. With my second baby I just started out giving him food in its natural state - not pureed. It was so much easier. There was no transition to real food, since he started with real food!
Old 03-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

I do both and I really do enjoy making my own purees. But, there is something really divine about being able to just hand over a couple green beans and letting them go to town!
B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't offer pureed foods to DS2 or DS3. They nursed, and when they decided it was time to grab food off my plate, that's when they ate solids. For DS2 that was at about 8 months, and with DS2 it was sometime after 9 months.

One day they just showed so much interest in my plate and made the effort to get to the food.

With DS2 we were at a restaurant and he just kept looking at my food intently, watching me eat, and smacking his lips, so I scooted my plate over to him and he grabbed the avocado off of it.

With DS3, I was holding him on my lap, he had been nursing. He stopped, looked at my plate, and suddenly shoved a handful of mac & Cheese in his mouth. The next night he grabbed taco meat right out of my soft taco that had come unrolled. And that's how solid feeding started with those two.

I never spoon fed either, except for helping them with yogurt.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #10
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinne
We did a combo of blw and purees and it worked well for us. We started trying just blw when dd was 6 months and she had fun playing with food for a few months, but by 9 months she was really starting to be hungry and couldn't self-feed enough to be happy, so we added purees. We still let her do all the self-feeding she was doing before, we just added some mama-mashed homemade food to it and dd loved it.
This is how we did it, too; some homemade mashed things and some things he could pick up and shove in his mouth himself. I saw three benefits. First, DS never choked, because he learned about chewing/swallowing from the get go. Second, his food preferences have remained very diverse for a two year old (although hard to say for sure this was a result of BLW). Third, as others have said: it's easy! Baby feeds themselves and there's no pureeing involved.