Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
mom2cse
Registered Users
seller

help! - loose teeth in a "sensitive" child

I'd love to hear some advice from those that have gone through this. My 6 year old has always been a worrier. Hard to explain, but she seems to work things up in her head (bugs, cats, dogs, taking her temp. under her arm, certain foods, ect) and it takes us some time to convince her things are okay. These things are often trivial, like cutting her nails, but just in the past 6 months I have finally been able to do this without anxiety/worry from her. Well, we've entered into the realm of loose teeth and I am once again out of my league. She lost one tooth so far and it wasn't too bad. She hates that they move and cried uncontrollably for about an hour, refusing help from us, before she finally got it out, then was completely fine. We went through something similar on Sunday when another was ready to come out, except now she will not work on it herself. The tears, lack of eating and drinking were hard to take. She asked me to pull it for her over and over again throughout the day, but always chickened out. Someone suggested pulling it out while she was sleeping, but I couldn't do that to her. I did tell her the suggestion and at first she was alarmed, but about a minute later she asked me to try to do it that night and it worked like a charm. She completely understands why teeth come out, is proud to see her new tooth growing in once the other one is out, and as the youngest in her class has seen many kids go through this right of passage.

Anyway, here we are now with two more extremely loose front teeth, however she is basically refusing to eat and not drinking much at all because of the feeling of her teeth being loose. Today, she only ate about 1/2 cup of canned pears, so I'm starting to get concerned about how this is going. She's not letting anyone near her mouth during the day and asks me to try at night, but she has been waking the past three nights when I try multiple times, so things are only getting worse. Any suggestions! Would the dentist be able to do anything if we called (not that she's all too thrilled with the dentist to begin with)? It just seems she has been "suffering" (mostly anxiety I think) since Sunday, now not eating, and her mouth looks like a mess as she believes she can't close her mouth as it touches her teeth, isn't drinking much, and is not brushing well at all.

Sorry so long, I'm just at a loss with this one. Can't wait to go through the teenage years with her!

Advertisement

mom2cse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
My son is the exact same way. This weekend he held onto a tooth so long it was dangling and didnt even bleed when hubby finally held him down and grabbed it out. He was so dehydrated his lips were cracked.

My son has eating/food/texture issues as well as the tooth issue. He only eats whit stuff and will gag/vomit at the smells and sights of food. He starts therapy next week. (the issue has gottne out of hand)

No major advice. We have resorted to keeping and eye on the tooth and holding him down to yank it. Its so hard to do but they cant dehydrate themselves and get sick!

Does your DD have any eating or brushing issues as well?
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:10 AM   #3
GrazieGirl
Registered Users
seller

Re: help! - loose teeth in a "sensitive" child

My son was scared of the whole process but wanted the tooth fairy money. So we told him he gets $1 if we pull it and $2 if he does it himself. He always took care of it before it got in the way of eating or drinking after that.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
mom2cse
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the advice. I have to keep her home from school today because it looks like something exploded in her mouth. Dried blood, dried/caked lips, ect. She threw up in the middle of the night due to having nothing in her stomach and is telling me she is hungry, but will not eat or drink. I guess this thing has got to go now. I'll try to suggest that the tooth fairy may have more for her doing it herself, but when she gets like this bribery is completely useless.

She has not been diagnosed with any sensory/feeding issues, but I do see some slight red flags. Her younger sister started OT when she was 15 months to work on feeding and has also been diagnosed as both sensory avoiding and craving in different respects. My oldest has always been a picky eater, but nothing that prevented her from eating a balanced diet. If she doesn't like what I'm serving, she'll make herself peanut butter on whole wheat with fruit or vegetables for dinner. She does seem over responsive to loud sounds (ex: hand driers in bathrooms) and the feel of some clothing is "scratchy". All in all, she just seems overly sensitive to things, not enough to be diagnosed with anything, but enough to make things tricky at times. Thank you again for the replies.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
BeedieWeedieB
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My oldest is on the spectrum and i learned from another wonderful spectrum mama to out orajel on the gum in front and behind beforehand. We actually switched to a similar product more for older kids adults called orabase by colgate I think. I is a paste and a mint kind of taste so my son preferred it a tiny but better than the orajel taste and it's thicker to stay there and numb. It still needs to be yanked but that helps dull the pain some. GL
Old 03-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
mom2cse
Registered Users
seller

I got it out yesterday. It wasn't pretty, she was mad for about 10 minutes, then came downstairs like a changed kid. Started off eating, drinkin, laughing, and carrying on as usual. It was so hard to do that to her, but it clearly needed to be done. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh my goodness your DD sounds like mine! SO far we haven't had any lost teeth, but the scratchy clothes and issues like that. She works herself up so much that when we go to the dr so she will have high blood pressure (for a 6 1/2 yr old). Her anxiety is at an all time high right now because we moved and Daddy deployed.

I have no advice about the teeth thing though she was really excited about her first loose-ish tooth though it is still in her mouth.

She wouldn't pee on potties when we were out for a long time because the ones at Target flush on their own, and the hand dryers? THose are the worst! She is better, slowly getting better. I just hope that she gets over some of these things at some point!
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote