Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
kismetbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Vegetarian/vegan chat and support thread. *April-May*

Hi all. Thought I'd start this and see how it goes. (And yes, it is almost April!)
We can use this thread to chat about anything veg related: meal plans, recipes, blogs, what we're enjoying cooking lately, new discoveries, etc.

If people are interested we can compile a list here in the "header" of useful links and resources. I'll add them here and then just cut and paste for each new months thread. If there is something you want to add to this please post it in red so I know!

Why be veg?
"Eating Animals" by Jonathon Safran Foer

(* indicates entirely vegan)
Cookbooks:
--*Veganomicon, or anything by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
--*The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone

Blogs
--*http://www.theppk.com/blog/ also by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
--*http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/
--http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.co...veg-index.html
-- http://peasandthankyou.com/
--*http://ohsheglows.com/
--*http://vegandad.blogspot.com/
--* theveganstoner.com
-- kblog.lunchboxbunch.com
-- ohdeardrea.blogspot

Other web resources
-- http://nourishedkitchen.com/what-veg...itional-foods/
--

Advertisement

Last edited by kismetbaby; 05-07-2012 at 10:08 PM.
kismetbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
kismetbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vegetarian/vegan chat and support thread. *April*

I'll start, I have a 10wk old and a toddler, so my time in the kitchen is severely limited lately. We get a CSA box each week of local org fruit and veg and I've been struggling to use it all. Doing a lot of one-pot meals lately. Stir-frys with brown rice, tofu and whatever veg I have around I make about once a week.

We're a vegetarian family who flirts with veganism, but I have found eggs to be an important part of our diet although we are mostly dairy free. Been thinking about going GF for a month and seeing how we all feel, but it's always daunting to add on another food restriction. I did find this website just recently though and her list of GF and vegan recipes is impressive! http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.co...veg-index.html
Old 03-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hello!!!

I am Alison. I have a 4yr old a almost 3 yr old and a 8 month old (2 boys and a baby girl)

I am a vegetarian but I also do not do dairy or eggs. Not really vegan bc I sometimes cheat and have an egg or some cheese but it is extremely limited. And I do local honey.

I just recently move to an area that the only grocery stores are a walmart and a winne dixie so I was driving an hr away to an Earth Fare or 2 hrs to a wf. Thinking about joining a csa that is an hr away for some fresh organic produce. I can not get anything organic here. I even sat down with the produce managers and that was a huge fail!

My dh eats meat. I have limited to 2 a week. He also does seafood and thats about once a week. This is a huge step though bc he was a meat with every meal guy. He tried veg but that did not workout.

I do plan to go gf soon bc when I did I never felt better but I do not have many places to get gf flours and things so I limit my gluten when I can except on pizza night! YUM!

When we move again and it will happen soon I am hoping it will be to a place that is veg friendly--it will surely make my life alot easier!!!

As for my kids, I am lucky bc they LOVE there fruits and veggies and there rice and beans!!! They do eat meat with there dad at the moment but I will let them make there own decisions about that and only give them the healthiest option possible. They eat meat maybe 1 a week. As for dairy they do some cheeses and occasional ice cream--I can't get any other ice creams that are non-dairy and I do not have a ice cream maker. When I could they had non dairy ice cream only and cheese occasionally.

Loving this group and looking forward to sharing recipes

Last edited by dagmomma; 03-29-2012 at 03:19 PM.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
kismetbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Allison--that sounds challenging! No Trader Joe's near you either? I do shop at WF every few weeks, but have found that with the CSA box I can get a lot of the other stuff I need at TJs. They are even carrying Organic Coconut Oil now and raw honey (although not local and I prefer to buy that local).
Old 03-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Lucinda--I do not think there is a TJs in my state!

I just moved from upstate NY and after I moved they put in a TJs!!!!So frustrating.

I belonged to a csa in NY too. I loved it and it actually helped me become confident in my cooking. They would give all types of recipes along with our box each week.

There were also several farmers markets and a year long one that was amazing! I did most of my shopping there and at a co-op.

Now no such luck. As for the cocunut oil or walmart has organic coconut oil for a great price here so that excites me but as far as groceries go thats were the excitement stops.

It is truly upsetting to not have the healthy resources in my city nor delivery options. I know though this is not a long term stay. We decided 2-3 yrs max but my dh is already talking about moving soon. One of the places on the list has 2 TJs and 2 WFs. When he came home to tell me I started getting anxiety about moving. When I looked it up and saw this and then the veg restaurants I was like "when do I pack?"

We will see what happens though.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
kismetbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We're in the Bay Area, so very veg friendly and full of local, organic produce. . .I don't think I could ever move just for that reason! I am so used to it. We walk to our year-round farmer's market every sunday and there are veg restaurants a plenty.

I agree about the CSA box, really forced me to get creative in the kitchen.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am so jealous!!!!! I am in Sweet Home Alabama! The area I am in is really bad when it comes to that stuff,

There was a new sandwich shop in town. My dh asked them if they had a vegetarian sandwich and the waitress said "you mean turkey burger?" my dh said jokingly "yeah kind of its in the same family but vegetarian." Then the waitress said, "You mean like vegetables on bread?" she was really confused.

I laughed so hard but was so sad at the same time.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:36 AM   #8
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hello everybody! I'm Maren. I have a willful 2 year old son and I'm thinking about TTC another one pretty soon. I've been vegetarian for 10 years and throughout that time have gone back and forth on being vegan or not. Currently not, although I make my choices lean that way (always using earth balance and almond milk, baking vegan at home, etc.)

My husband is a chef and has always been the cook in the family. He is not vegetarian, but pretty much eats vegetarian at home, and he is very sympathetic and knowledgeable. He even designed an all vegan menu at his last job. Still, he works long hours and I have been trying to get more into cooking lately to lighten his load, despite the fact that it is WAY out of my comfort zone. I've made a few soups, seitan, and baked cookies and muffins. I'm nervous about finding ways to use everything in our CSA share this summer.

I LOVE the Post Punk Kitchen for recipes.

Alison- Did you just move from Rochester? Your description is sounding very familiar.
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:37 AM   #9
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma View Post
I am so jealous!!!!! I am in Sweet Home Alabama! The area I am in is really bad when it comes to that stuff,

There was a new sandwich shop in town. My dh asked them if they had a vegetarian sandwich and the waitress said "you mean turkey burger?" my dh said jokingly "yeah kind of its in the same family but vegetarian." Then the waitress said, "You mean like vegetables on bread?" she was really confused.

I laughed so hard but was so sad at the same time.
Lol, it's a real life "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" moment. Ah, people.
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #10
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marenmccoy View Post
I've been vegetarian for 10 years and throughout that time have gone back and forth on being vegan or not. Currently not, although I make my choices lean that way (always using earth balance and almond milk, baking vegan at home, etc.)

Alison- Did you just move from Rochester? Your description is sounding very familiar.
This is me. I bake everything vegan at home and we only do almond milk and eb.

I moved from the Capital region--Albany/Schenectady. There is an amazing farmers market in Schenectady and Albany has an awesome co-op. Troy has a delicious vegan bakery with a super sweet owner who does all the baking.

There was also a ton of farms surrounding the area and apple picking was our favorite thing to do every fall. We also loved all the other fruit picking in the summer but apple picking gave us the best pictures