Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

Non-vaxing and surgery? Help out a worried mama :)

Ack.

It turns out my 2.5 year old is likely going to need surgery to repair an umbilical hernia.

This opens up a world of worry for me.

First off, she hasn't had any vax's beyond the typical 6 month vaxs. She had a reaction I didn't like. And I wasn't happy with the medical response to it. Will that impact them doing surgery?

Secondly, I am really worried about her being "put to sleep" for the surgery. What concerns should I have about that? What do I need to know/ask?

TIA

Advertisement

momofdestructobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:34 AM   #2
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Non-vaxing and surgery? Help out a worried mama :)

My DD was 3 months shy of 4 when she had her umbilical hernia repair. I have no clue about the vax thing.
As for the sleep thing ask what they policy is during pre op. DD had hers done at Cincinnati Children's. Some of the OR's have on suite pre op areas where you can be there right next to the OR until surgery. We got bumped up because of a canceled surgery and our OR didn't have that. So they gave her something with us there that made her extremely loopy. She had no clue what was going on, that I was staying behind. We got to walk almost to the OR and the nurses took over, they were walking with us. I am going to be 100% honest with you, I did great until one of the nurses said "I will take good care of her" I lost it! They were walking away with her to the OR so I was in the hallway.
Ask about policies about waking up. She was not awake when we were brought back. Some kids come right out of it fast and so they will be up when parents get back there. DD was more sleepy but honestly she was just tired. It was extremely early in the am that we had to head to the hospital, and surgery was during normal sleep time. She woke up fine though they said. She didn't have any adverse reactions. They should prep you about those. It is mainly their demeanor and actions.
Oh ask about loveys if your DD has one. My DD was allowed one. In fact it went into the OR with her but was under the bed or off to the side during surgery. I bought a sub one that was smaller and they said I could have brought her 3ft tall strawberry shortcake. That would have been a sight!
Gosh I hope I didn't forget anything. We did go on a tour before surgery. Oh and at the hospital if your a patient they have cheap children's and infant tylenol! Name brand for a buck, this was in 2006 but they said they always keep it at a buck to make it cheap for parents. So maybe check into that if it is a big hospital.
Oh and DD came home about 2 hrs or so after waking up. Maybe less. To this day she does remember it but mainly the arm hugger(bp cuff).
I had a inguinal hernia repair at 18 months and 31 years old. I tell you my mom said I drove the nurses crazy by running through the halls hours after surgery at 18 mos. There was no way I would have done that at 31! Surgeries are always worse on us as adults when done to us or done to our children then the actual kids.

Last edited by mommy2kaitlyn; 03-30-2012 at 04:36 AM.
mommy2kaitlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:26 AM   #3
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

Thanks.

I keep worrying that whatever they give her to put her to sleep will cause some adverse effect. Should I worry about that? Its safe, right.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
Shaunam
Registered Users

My DD is entirely unvaxed and has had several surgeries. As far as I know it's not a problem. If they ask her vax status, just be honest, but don't let them engage you in any discussion on it. They always say "and of course she's fully vaccinated right?" I just reply that she is not vaccinated at all, and I add nothing else. The most I've ever gotten is they ask if it's by choice and I say yes.

General anesthesia always carries some amount of risk. Be sure to talk to the doctor and anesthesiologist beforehand to make sure you understand everything about the anesthesia and surgery. Disclose any allergic reactions she's had to medications. And if a close family member reacts badly to anesthesia, let them know that too. Most of the time it goes just fine. My DD has chronic lung disease and apnea and all sorts of breathing problems and the most she's had happen is a collapsed lung at 2 weeks old when they placed her g tube. She needed CPAP for like half a day and then she was back to breathing on her own. Her most recent surgery, a trach placement, went fine. They put her on the ventilator which is standard for that surgery, and she was off of it only a day later. If they intubate your DD, she might wake up with an irritated throat, but hopefully any pain meds she has for her after surgery care will help with that too.

Last edited by Shaunam; 03-30-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Shaunam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
woopigsooie
Registered Users
seller

My kids are delayed vaxed and my girls have had three surgeries between them. There was never any issues. They always ask "are the vaccinations up to date?". I just answer a simple no.

My oldest had an umbilical hernia repair last March and it went really well. She was really sore for about 4 or 5 days. Just be sure when you pick her up after surgery that you don't lift her under the arms. I made that mistake and it hurt her so much because it pulled and stretched her stomach. I felt so awful for not thinking about it. I picked her up under her legs for about a week or so. She also had to stay one night in the hospital but she had her tonsils and adenoids removed and pe tubes placed at the same time.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I would hope the hospitals policy would minimize exposure to anything she might catch. As for anesthesia, my DD got a cochlear implant at 18 months. They had a waiting room where they prepped her with us there. They usually give them Versaid (sp?) Which makes them not only super relaxed, but forget going back to OR and going under. DD didn't even cry when they took her back. She should be closely monitored at all times by an anesthesiologist during surgery. If anything goes wrong, they will know immediately, and you'll already be in a hospital. They wake up feeling icky and mad and with poor motor control, and slowly get better over the course of the day. I was a wreck the whole time, but everything went smoothly and my baby is fine.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

Thanks Mamas
Old 03-31-2012, 03:57 AM   #8
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

I was really worried to but it went okay.

I dont remember being asked if Liam was vaccinated or not (he was not at all when he was under general) he was 2 years and 5 days

and because hes so darn cute with his crazy hair here he is waking up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the hair october 14 2009.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	99832  

Last edited by monkeymama07; 03-31-2012 at 04:01 AM.
monkeymama07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:01 AM   #9
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymama07 View Post
I was really worried to but it went okay.

I dont remember being asked if Liam was vaccinated or not (he was not at all when he was under general) he was 2 years and 5 days

and because hes so darn cute with his crazy hair here he is waking up
OhMyGoodness! He is absolutely adorable, mama! I want to hug him with his little pout. LOL