Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
court3189
Registered Users
seller

Re: it is IEP season!!!! Let's chat!

Just had YDD IFSP (baby IEP) this morning and have ODD's IEP on May 4th. I'm still such a novice to all of this.....

Advertisement

Mom to Mason (3/2003) and Maddie (11/2007) and Morgan (3/2011)
court3189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
ralenth
Registered Users

I just had my DD's IEP meeting today, and it went really well. I think they have her needs well covered (at least I hope so). My middle DS's is in early May, and that one I am nervous about. I know his therapists well, and know they have his best interests at heart, but I am really worried about him moving up into 4th grade, and all the expectations that entails. Sometime after that we have my oldest DS's 504 meeting, and that will be a battle as always. Apparently Aspergers, and all that involves is not enough for the school to need to support him. This year has been such a failure for him, and it really sucks.
ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #13
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

My DS had his IFSP in Feb. and has already had two revisions since then. We're moving out-of-state in June, so that will undoubtedly lead to more changes. This is my first "IEP season" on both sides of the table. I've been a special ed teacher and/or educational diagnostician for 10 years.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #14
teachermommy35
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmom77 View Post
My DS had his IFSP in Feb. and has already had two revisions since then. We're moving out-of-state in June, so that will undoubtedly lead to more changes. This is my first "IEP season" on both sides of the table. I've been a special ed teacher and/or educational diagnostician for 10 years.
So I am a special education teacher as well and just took my 3 year old for his 3rd evaluation to determine whether he has ADHD, SPD, etc. I was reading this thread and now am starting to understand first hand what it is like to be on the other side of the table.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #15
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachermommy35

So I am a special education teacher as well and just took my 3 year old for his 3rd evaluation to determine whether he has ADHD, SPD, etc. I was reading this thread and now am starting to understand first hand what it is like to be on the other side of the table.
I am an SLP and am getting ready to transition DD1 from EI to an IEP in public schools. Though I've done hundreds of IEPs, NOTHING prepares you for being on the other side of the table. I think it's given me more insight and helped me to be better at my job
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #16
justjacqueline
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was told by a former teacher that if the children have an IEP they are labeled and treated differently...is this true? I believe my son could benefit from an IEP (ADHD) but Idon't know what it really means.
justjacqueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #17
AngelTV83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had an IEP in school (while I recieved support from a special ed teacher starting before they were required). My early school experiance before getting support envolved a lot of getting yelled at by my teacher for not following directions yadda yadda After getting my IEP I was pulled out for spelling and got help with some tests. In 8th at my trasition meeting I was told I would be lucky to graduate high school when I said I wanted to go to college. Had some helpful teachers in high school who were willing to follow my IEP and some old school teachers who thought it was unfair for me to get help and were horriable. It really depends on the teachers for how your kid will be treated. I can say I went to college graduated in four years and my IEP followed me and helped me. I didn't have to take notes in my classes they were supplied by my teachers and I got twice as much time to take my tests (when I wanted). I was a special ed teacher for a year and my daughter had an IEP this past year for speech. It is amazing to be on allsides of the process.

Due May 2013
AngelTV83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #18
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjacqueline
I was told by a former teacher that if the children have an IEP they are labeled and treated differently...is this true? I believe my son could benefit from an IEP (ADHD) but Idon't know what it really means.
In a perfect world, no, but this is real life. There will be both amazing and terrible teachers. I find here that having an IEP is worth the protection. Now for ADHD, there has to be an educational impact, and he has to need specialized instruction, so if he's not very far behind he most likely won't qualify. But since it's a medical diagnosis he may qualify for a 504 plan, which would allow for accommodations, such as specific seating, repeated directions, alternate discipline plans, instead of an IEP, which would be special ed classes.

Many teachers I think tend to label ADHD kids as 'bad', 'disrepectful', and/or 'careless' when they don't know about the ADHD. And teachers here seem to think if it's not bad enough to need an IEP then they shouldn't have to do anything out of the ordinary for your kid, KWIM...
Old 06-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #19
justjacqueline
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm kind of new to this. He is not terribly behind BUT we do have to have a tutor all summer long and it would actually be helpful to have one year round but I can't afford it. What exactly do I need to do? Tell the principal he needs to be evaluated for a 504? It's not just behavior like they tend to say it is. He has been formerly diagnosed with ADHD and I'm tired of him getting treated like he is bad, but his teacher this year actually was a special ed teacher and she is very patient and kind. If he'd had anyone else this year no doubt he would have been suspended for saying all kinds of inappropriate things or sexual harrassment yada yada.. When he gets smiley face in his palnner for the day I breathe a sigh of relief. I can't imagine what the other kids parents think of us. They probably think we are horrible influences. Christian says some of the worst, out of the blue stuff and I have no idea where he gets it! He once looked at a little girl who is a bit heavy and said, "I know what your favorite time of day is...lunch time..." I don't teach him that stuff and it was really embarrassing and heartbreaking That's only one example...
justjacqueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #20
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjacqueline
I'm kind of new to this. He is not terribly behind BUT we do have to have a tutor all summer long and it would actually be helpful to have one year round but I can't afford it. What exactly do I need to do? Tell the principal he needs to be evaluated for a 504? It's not just behavior like they tend to say it is. He has been formerly diagnosed with ADHD and I'm tired of him getting treated like he is bad, but his teacher this year actually was a special ed teacher and she is very patient and kind. If he'd had anyone else this year no doubt he would have been suspended for saying all kinds of inappropriate things or sexual harrassment yada yada.. When he gets smiley face in his palnner for the day I breathe a sigh of relief. I can't imagine what the other kids parents think of us. They probably think we are horrible influences. Christian says some of the worst, out of the blue stuff and I have no idea where he gets it! He once looked at a little girl who is a bit heavy and said, "I know what your favorite time of day is...lunch time..." I don't teach him that stuff and it was really embarrassing and heartbreaking That's only one example...
Go to his teacher with documentation of ADHD. You can also request testing in writing. Here we have a Student Assistance Team, that is the stepping stone to special services by providing general ed students with help to see if that enough. Especially if he has a special ed teacher discuss with her your concerns and the schools procedures, she should know!