Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #21
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would you be interested in these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
I think they were sorta flimsy. And in an attempt to make them small, they were too small. My kids would have liked bigger ones, I think. The items were 'beads' so not too small. I think the card was words. And my kids couldn't read.. So that sucked.

Hope that helps. Hers were not nearly as well made as yours. Just same concept.
Thanks for sharing that! I definitely understand the frustration when a toy isn't what you expected. I think you would find that a Hide & Squeak bag meets your needs a bit better:
  • Right now, the smallest size I make is approximately 4x6 (cut size, varies when finished due to charm size/fabric). They are big enough to handle easily but small enough to fit in a diaper bag. My daughter uses hers as a doll pillow sometimes, too The largest size I've made was 7x10; it was large enough to be a travel pillow for a toddler!
  • The charms I use are quite diverse - everything from erasers to buttons to doll furniture. I can find almost anything for custom requests: specific characters, favorite foods, etc. Depending on the age of the recipient and the size of the bag, charms average 23 per bag, from <1cm up to 2", mostly in the .5"-1" range.
  • Hide & Squeak bags include a choice of legend: photo, words, or both. Photo legends are taken just before filling and show all the charms clearly. Word legends are alphabetized. I photograph the filling for each bag regardless, so you can request a "reminder"

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #22
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

They sound interesting. I was wondering if you could make a pocket for the legend to go in with something soft to tether the legend to the Hide and Squeak. I think the 7x10 size sounds the most appealing to kids and parents because it can double as a pillow when traveling. Perhaps you could even call it a Hide and Squeak Travel Pillow. This would make me more likely to consider buying it as it does double duty. I think the squeaky part should be optional. If I was considering getting one I would likely get 2. One without the squeak because it would bother my husband and 1 with it because it wouldn't bother me and the kids are primarily with me.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #23
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko
They sound interesting. I was wondering if you could make a pocket for the legend to go in with something soft to tether the legend
The pocket is definitely something to consider! I might make that an add-on option for customs and see how many people select it.
I don't ever refer to the legend for DD's H&S bags, so I am not sure how much others would need it after the initial use.

I made my first two international sales this week, very excited!
Old 08-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #24
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Love the idea. Don't think I would pay $20. I have purchased these on Hyena Cart for less and was very pleased. I do think there could be a market for it mama. Good luck!!!
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #25
Shalom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I purchased the larger plastic encapsulated version of this for $5 used from someone on CL that bought it at target. I thought it was an awesome concept and was so excited to get it because my oldest daughter (a super smart 2.5 yr old) has LOVED I Spy Books since she was a year old and couldn't talk but knew what and where certain objects were. She thought the "spinkles" inside were neat, but hasn't embraced the whole concept or shown any interest in it since I first gave it to her. I don't know if she's too young, or not, but that was her take on it. I don't think I would pay $20 for one, even new....and I'm a little bit of a germ-freak, so using upcycled materials that I don't how or IF they've been washed (since being purchased at the thrift store) creeps me out a little (I DO buy from the thrift store all the time, but I wash and sanitize everything). HTH.

The hurt a troubled child creates is never greater than the hurt they feel inside. -T.
Shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #26
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiiki View Post
Wow, looks like alot of folks with similar ideas! Some follow up questions:

-Does the upcycled material factor make you more likely to purchase one version of a similar product over another made with all-new materials?

-Do you think anyone will want the squeakers? I like including them because DD loves her squeak bag and it doesn't bother me, but DH thinks most people won't like the noise.

-Do you think my pricing seems fair? From the Etsy results, it looks like I am making generally larger bags and offer a few unique features. I used the formula of cost + labor x 2, which I understand is pretty common?
I'm going to be honest, please don't take it as rude, k?

1. I-Spy bags have been around for a lonnnnngggggg time and generally are price between $10-$15.

2. I like the handle on yours, and the squeaky toy will make it very appealing to children, but maybe not so much the parent. I'm soon to be a mother of 5 children, can you imagine 5 of those squeakers going off all at once?

3. The larger the bag the heavier they will be for young children to manipulate.

4. I'm not into re-purposed material for childrens toys b/c children like to chew on things and you just never know where the fabric has been.

Overall, I really like the idea of the handle on the bag, the fabric is cute, and I'm iffy on the squeakers lol Maybe you can set that as optional? The handle adds a nice new take on the I-spy bag!

myall4him2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #27
Irongirl83
Registered Users
seller

I love the bags, but I don't think I could pay $20 for one - maybe $15?
Irongirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #28
hamletthepug
Registered Users

I like it. This is a cool idea.
hamletthepug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #29
MaiosameruMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 1 year old would love something like this!
MaiosameruMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #30
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irongirl83
I love the bags, but I don't think I could pay $20 for one - maybe $15?
Thanks! I have a bunch of options so the price ranges from $15 on up. So far the $20 ones are the biggest seller, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamletthepug
I like it. This is a cool idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiosameruMommy
My 1 year old would love something like this!
Thank you for your support! I am glad you like them. Please tell your friends