Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
Br2me
Registered Users
seller
seller

this may be a stupid thread...but...

is there anything special about diapering a BOY that is different than diapering girls???

really?!?!?

I have two dd's and have worked daycare and changed my sister's boy when he was little...and even years ago my younger brother (i was 13 when he was born) but i never really paid much attention to diapering a boy before...and and it just hit me that in 18 days (give or take) i will be diapering a little boy...MY little boy and want to make sure that things are done right...

sooo here are my stupid questions...

I know that boys tend to pee alot when the diaper is off...how do you control that? i was thinking about just keeping an extra prefold handy and covering with it should he decide to pee when diaper is open...I have seen the little peetee tent things...do those work? i bet i could make some of those..if i needed them...

is there a certain direction that they should or shouldn't be pointed? like make sure tip of penis is not pointing up toward top of diaper so that pee doesn't just shoot right at top of diaper...or should i just leave it where it lays after getting wiped like a finger and it be ok

anything else i should know about diapering a boy????

thanks!!!

Advertisement

Br2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I don't have a boy, but I do know the peepee teepees can fly off with a good stream, so a prefold or whatever is better.

My friend has 2 boys, 1 peed during diaper changes all the time, the other never has. So I think a lot depends on the kid.

I know with like my BumGenius and such, you put an extra fold in the flat in a different spot with girls or boys, but I don't guess you would do that with prefolds.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
It isn't vastly different. One odd thing though, I always thought girls would be harder to clean but after my son was born I found that boys are harder to clean. Goodness it is a pain to get a messy poop off of a wrinkly scrotum. At least in my opinion. Otherwise it is pretty much the same to me. I just make sure the penis is pointing down. Up would be bad news the next time he peed. Oh and we didn't bother with the peepee teepee things. They don't stay well and don't absorb that much either. It doesn't happen all that often. When it does, I just throw a diaper or prefold over him.

Last edited by Janine; 03-30-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: this may be a stupid thread...but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine View Post
It isn't vastly different. One odd thing though, I always thought girls would be harder to clean but after my son was born I found that boys are harder to clean. Goodness it is a pain to get a messy poop off of a wrinkly scrotum.
I'm having a much harder time getting DD clean than DS, all those folds and nook and crannies! She's also peed on me waaaay more often than DS ever did.

A prefold or wash cloth is enough to keep a boy from peeing all over you. And definitely always point that thang down, or you'll regret it. If you add doublers, add them to the front of the diaper, not the middle. Besides that, it's pretty much the same.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
KatieGrace
Registered Users
Formerly: katiebelle
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine View Post
It isn't vastly different. One odd thing though, I always thought girls would be harder to clean but after my son was born I found that boys are harder to clean. Goodness it is a pain to get a messy poop off of a wrinkly scrotum. At least in my opinion. Otherwise it is pretty much the same to me. I just make sure the penis is pointing down. Up would be bad news the next time he peed. Oh and we didn't bother with the peepee teepee things. They don't stay well and don't absorb that much either. It doesn't happen all that often. When it does, I just throw a diaper or prefold over him.
Ditto!
https://www.facebook.com/kimberlyajones.origamiowl
KatieGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

Point it down, otherwise he will end up with a wet shirt. My first baby was a boy and one of the first times I changed him he peed in his own eye, after that I made sure he was covered mid change.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do diaper changes quickly, and point the firehose to the south pole!

I once changed DS when DH was taking a shower and he peed over his head, then he pooed. All before I could get a diaper on him! I handed him to DH in the shower and said, "call me when he is clean!" and walked out the room.

You get used to it though. I used prefolds and fitteds with my son.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
pcjs
Registered Users

I never worried about pointing up or down with the diaper on. Never had an issue. But, just learn to go quickly. My son only peed on someone (I think only 2 times on me) a couple of times. I would ask him to save it for dad. (nice huh?). I would just cover with a pre fold once the stream started coming. We didn't have a changing table so I just had a pad on the floor and put towels around so it would not go on the floor directly.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My girls peed way more often during diaper changes then my son ever has. No major differences in my opinion. More differences in the shape of each child regardless of gender. I had a short chunk, then a average skinny, and now an average chunk.
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #10
jenncatsmeow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I usually just drop a wipe over him (after he's been quickly wiped) while I'm removing the used diaper from under him, then positioning the new one.

Make sure that it is pointing down (not up or toward either leg hole).

And, if you use a doubler, position it up towards the front of the diaper, rather than in the middle of the diaper like you would for a girl.

Other than that.....no difference.
5% off at My HyenaCart with code: DS Momma
jenncatsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote