Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
blackberry75
Registered Users

uneven supply?

Just some background info. Bean is an inefficient nurser due to tongue tie, despite the LC's best efforts. We've tried all sorts of things to help her get the milk out and it's just not happening until it gets clipped. We're working on that, the pedi dentist won't take our insurance, so we're looking for another dentist or ENT who will. She won't nurse with the SNS in place, something about it bothers her and she won't stay latched on with it in place. We supplement w/ a bottle for now, I still bring her to breast just for the bonding and so we won't have to relearn everything once she gets clipped. I pump what I can and give her formula (a half/half mix at each feeding). The pumping is really the only way to tell what my output is.

My left breast produces almost nothing-confirmed by daily visits to the LC this week. Bean's weight doesn't change after nursing on that side enough for the scale to register any difference, regardless of how long she nurses. I can maybe get .5oz if I pump for 20 or more minutes. My right breast (and smaller of the 2 just FYI) I can easily get 2oz on average, or up to 3.5 if I've gone to long w/o pumping. Bean's best weight after nursing went up by 7/10ths of an ounce off that side.

My left nipple is bruised as all heck. Positively black and blue, so it hurts like the ****ens to "nurse" or pump. I tough it out anyway, but could the bruising be a symptom of something and that's why it's not producing nearly as much. Or could the bruising cause the breast to not produce? I've got to call the LC to let her know about the bruising-just noticed it this morning, though the left side has always been more sore/tender from the get go.

Advertisement

blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes
seller

Re: uneven supply?

I would think the bruising might be sorta like a hickey for lack of a better word since there is suction without the release of milk. Have you tried domperidone to boost your supply till the tongue tie is fixed? I have also heard of babies having a side preference and end up nursing only from one side and doing fine though they complain about being lopsided for awhile. I'm naturally lopsided so it wouldn't bother me much lol.
Wife to my soulmate since 7/12/03 mom to dd 2/9/09 and ds 1/5/12 and angel baby 10/07. Infertility survivor!ISO(willing to trade my FSOT items for) snapped unpaper towels EEEEUC or NEW heavy/long mama cloth
FSOT NOTE: SMOKE FREE DOG FRIENDLY HOME. EVERYTHING IS LINT BRUSHED BUT STRAY HAIRS WILL BE FOUND. IF THIS BOTHERS YOU DON'T FSOT WITH ME PLEASE
LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
blackberry75
Registered Users

Re: uneven supply?

I think I took domperidone when I was nursing Gman, but all it did was give me headaches. That is the stuff you have to get an Rx for right?

I've been drinking a Mother's Milk tea w/ blessed thistle, fenugreek, fennel, aniseed and coriander that the LC recommended. Also been eating oatmeal (old style) like it's going out of style. I had to skip today though, 'cause even the thought of more oatmeal makes me gag a little.

I had to lol a bit at your lopsided comment, because my bewbs are so out of whack. The right is a whole cup size smaller than the left, that's why I'm surprised it's the better producer. Not that size is a good predictor of anything, just thought it would have more glands for production. It also wouldn't bother me at all if she only nursed one side.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote