Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 08:16 PM   #21
MotherMoonPads's Avatar
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Medford, Oregon
Posts: 20,638
My Mood:
Re: Is it just me or are wahm diaper prices on the rise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMania View Post
I bought a pocket from a WAHM here for like $18 (which was a splurge for me) and now she has them listed for over $30 each. I wanted to continue to buy WAHM and USA-made but the price gouging is just insane.
Really, price gouging? That's insulting. We have high material costs to provide you with a quality product and deserve to make at least minimum wage. We have real businesses with real expenses, and at the end of th day we have rent/mortgages to pay and mouths to feed.

Advertisement

__________________
Denelle, WAHM to Gwen (17) Z (17)Ezekiel (6) Eleanor (my homebirth baby is now 4!)
MotherMoonPads Reusable Cloth Menstrual Pads, Restocking Daily, Quick Shipping!
Saving your body & the Earth, One cycle at a time
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:23 PM   #22
Lovely Momma's Avatar
Lovely Momma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,102
My Mood:
Re: Is it just me or are wahm diaper prices on the rise?

im finding the same.. for high quality work its worth it in my opinion PLUS they totally hold their resale value
__________________
Ashley, momma to 3 E's
www.facebook.com/3ecrafts
Lovely Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:27 PM   #23
Almacham
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Slytherin House
Posts: 15,946
My Mood:
Re: Is it just me or are wahm diaper prices on the rise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki24 View Post
Are wahm dipes in general beter quality than mainstream (BG type) diapers?
I absolutely think so.
__________________
Sarah, mom of many
Almacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:34 PM   #24
Lovely Momma's Avatar
Lovely Momma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,102
My Mood:
Re: Is it just me or are wahm diaper prices on the rise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy View Post
Assuming PUL is around $13 yd (for a print), and microfleece is $8/yd, and you could get 4 of the diaper out of a yard, there is over $5 just in fabric, plus around $3 for snaps and elastic, so say around $8 for material cost. Takes about an hour to make, at just $10/hr, that's $18. That leaves NO money to put back into the business. None. It also does not pay for any overhead (machine servicing, scissors or rotary blades, needles, thread, pins or basting glue, shipping materials, electricity, cost and time of prepping fabrics, etc etc etc etc etc).

I can't speak as to any specific WAHM or their pricing or quality of materials, etc, but $18 for a handmade pocket diaper is a steal, and expecting a WAHM to charge the same for a pocket diaper as a diaper made in a factory in China just isn't realistic.
Not to mention the fact, every minute they spend sewing is LESS time with their families, I know first hand how time consuming it is to do EVERYTHING, the ordering, listing, tracing, cutting, sewing, exc let alone the fact your goal is to make them as close to perfect every single time because G-d forbid a HAND MADE ITEM doesnt look like those that are mass produced. The diapers I have purchased are worth every single penny!! Its nice to get a break now and then on prices (through coupons, shipping breaks, exc) but i dont expect it.. I would much rather support a WAHM than a giant company, I sleep better at night knowing my money is helping another momma out and giving them the chance to maybe stay home with their kids...
__________________
Ashley, momma to 3 E's
www.facebook.com/3ecrafts
Lovely Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:48 PM   #25
boysniris's Avatar
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 13,928
My Mood:
Re: Is it just me or are wahm diaper prices on the rise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki24 View Post
Are wahm dipes in general beter quality than mainstream (BG type) diapers?
I think it runs the spectrum -- some are better, some are comparable, some are worse. When buying from a WAHM, I think it's important to look at reviews/feedback/photos/descriptions/product warranty or guarantee.
__________________
Hi I'm Melanie! I make EmotiBums FLEECE

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:55 PM   #26
bigmamakelsey's Avatar
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Montana
Posts: 9,624
My Mood:
Re: Is it just me or are wahm diaper prices on the rise?

I agree, cotton and bamboo are just really that much right now. WAHMs make very little after materials and time put in. Very little.
__________________
K&K My little firecracker Lennon 10.09, crying before he fully emerged and My little sweetheart Indi 6.12, born smiling
bigmamakelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:01 AM   #27
lynn97's Avatar
lynn97
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,302
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherMoonPads
Really, price gouging? That's insulting. We have high material costs to provide you with a quality product and deserve to make at least minimum wage. We have real businesses with real expenses, and at the end of th day we have rent/mortgages to pay and mouths to feed.
I agree, Mother Moon!! I'm a WAHM but do not make/sell items. I really hope threads like this one make people think about what they support. Sure, you can buy some diapers for $5-7 apiece (I'm talking pockets) but there's a reason many cost $30+ too. If you want quality materials, a living wage, decent labor standards, etc, it costs money. Think about it, folks, can a product really be made for as cheap as some are sold? A corner is being cut somewhere with many products, be it poor quality materials, unfair labor practices, etc. Are you really okay with supporting that?? The fact that someone may be working 80 hours a week and still starving? Or that the person may be a child? I know some people will argue that they are poor too and can't afford any better but I'd encourage them to buy used or go a different route as our nation needs jobs at home. Anyway, I'm hopping off my soapbox now...

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #28
CuriousElephant's Avatar
CuriousElephant
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,145
My Mood:
Re: Is it just me or are wahm diaper prices on the rise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
I think it runs the spectrum -- some are better, some are comparable, some are worse. When buying from a WAHM, I think it's important to look at reviews/feedback/photos/descriptions/product warranty or guarantee.
I agree with this, as it has been my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97 View Post
I agree, Mother Moon!! I'm a WAHM but do not make/sell items. I really hope threads like this one make people think about what they support. Sure, you can buy some diapers for $5-7 apiece (I'm talking pockets) but there's a reason many cost $30+ too. If you want quality materials, a living wage, decent labor standards, etc, it costs money. Think about it, folks, can a product really be made for as cheap as some are sold? A corner is being cut somewhere with many products, be it poor quality materials, unfair labor practices, etc. Are you really okay with supporting that?? The fact that someone may be working 80 hours a week and still starving? Or that the person may be a child? I know some people will argue that they are poor too and can't afford any better but I'd encourage them to buy used or go a different route as our nation needs jobs at home. Anyway, I'm hopping off my soapbox now...

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Yes, we all have to make decisions in every area of our lives that work for our families, our budgets, and our goals.
CuriousElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #29
Almacham
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Slytherin House
Posts: 15,946
My Mood:
Re: Is it just me or are wahm diaper prices on the rise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97 View Post
I agree, Mother Moon!! I'm a WAHM but do not make/sell items. I really hope threads like this one make people think about what they support. Sure, you can buy some diapers for $5-7 apiece (I'm talking pockets) but there's a reason many cost $30+ too. If you want quality materials, a living wage, decent labor standards, etc, it costs money. Think about it, folks, can a product really be made for as cheap as some are sold? A corner is being cut somewhere with many products, be it poor quality materials, unfair labor practices, etc. Are you really okay with supporting that?? The fact that someone may be working 80 hours a week and still starving? Or that the person may be a child? I know some people will argue that they are poor too and can't afford any better but I'd encourage them to buy used or go a different route as our nation needs jobs at home. Anyway, I'm hopping off my soapbox now...

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
__________________
Sarah, mom of many
Almacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #30
BldrArch's Avatar
BldrArch
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 2,695
My Mood:
Re: Is it just me or are wahm diaper prices on the rise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy View Post
Assuming PUL is around $13 yd (for a print), and microfleece is $8/yd, and you could get 4 of the diaper out of a yard, there is over $5 just in fabric, plus around $3 for snaps and elastic, so say around $8 for material cost. Takes about an hour to make, at just $10/hr, that's $18. That leaves NO money to put back into the business. None. It also does not pay for any overhead (machine servicing, scissors or rotary blades, needles, thread, pins or basting glue, shipping materials, electricity, cost and time of prepping fabrics, etc etc etc etc etc).

I can't speak as to any specific WAHM or their pricing or quality of materials, etc, but $18 for a handmade pocket diaper is a steal, and expecting a WAHM to charge the same for a pocket diaper as a diaper made in a factory in China just isn't realistic.


I make dipes for my kiddos and while I don't sell them, I think $30 is totally justifiable. They are pretty time consuming and yes, fabric has gone up. I see some WAHM's selling their hand dyed velour dipes for $30 and think it's a steal! She had to dye her fabric first, then make her dipe. And embellished dipes too...Just sayin' And the sewing is beautiful. I do believe in the WAHM world (as I see diapers on Etsy for $8 you get what you pay for too).
__________________

Red Dog | Studio

Cloth Diapers, Layette Sets, Children's wares and more. Handcrafted in Boulder, CO
Etsy | Free US Shipping
Please take my diapering cost survey!
BldrArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.