Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
luvof3boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Switching to formula

My ds is 5 months old and I am going to be weaning him. Is it okay to do cold turkey? I know I may be uncomfotable for awhile. He is very laidback and has never seemed to care whether food came from me or from a bottle. Thoughts?

Advertisement

luvof3boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't, you'll probably get mastitis. I would drop one feeding every 3-5 days
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
cobbermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra
I wouldn't, you'll probably get mastitis. I would drop one feeding every 3-5 days
This!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
luvof3boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Switching to formula

Even if I pump for relief? I did cold turkey with my other 2 but they were 15 months and 12 months.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you pump to comfort you're still going to be doing a lot of pumping since LO is only 5 months. If you're not supplementing you're making more milk now than you would be at 15 months when LO is eating more solids.

I would drop a session every couple of days and search on the BF board for tips on drying up. I'm on my phone so I don't have acccess to my links.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
pcjs
Registered Users

If he will take formula, then it should be fine. Just make sure he'll take the formula you pick before going off breast milk. My son's birth mom pumped for relief for a few weeks.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
luvof3boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I will not go to the BF board they were not very nice to me when I said that I wanted to quit BF at 5 months so I could TTC. Thank you mamas.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvof3boyz
I will not go to the BF board they were not very nice to me when I said that I wanted to quit BF at 5 months so I could TTC. Thank you mamas.
Not saying you have to ask the question there - but I've posted the link to a post on drying up on there.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
cjslater1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

slowly go off, and don't drink a bunch of water and things that increase supply, also green tea is supposed to help dry you up
Old 03-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #10
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

I have always weaned cold turkey and never had any problems. If it was really bad I might pump a bit for relief but I wouldn't pump too much because then drying up would take even longer. There are some teas you can buy (with sage and peppermint) that can help, and cabbage leaves in the bra will help and will also soothe and comfort when you get to that point where you feel engorged from not nursing/pumping in so long.

ETA: I have weaned 5x now by 4 months old. However, I do have a low supply so it takes awhile for me to even feel engorged. This last time around I weaned right at 4 months and it took me like 3 days of not nursing/pumping to even feel slightly engorged. That lasted for about a day and then my body seemed to get the picture and reabsorb everything and by about 1 week I had no milk at all.
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*

Last edited by AcrossTheUniverse; 03-31-2012 at 11:19 PM.
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote