Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
taralynnel
Registered Users
seller

Location: Monterey, CA (where ever the Marine Corps takes me)
My Mood:
Coumbia, MD ladies...coming at ya!

Hey ladies,
We just found out today that we are moving to the Columbia, MD area in mid-june. We are hoping to buy a house in an area with good schools. We are currently in CA and experiencing not-so-great schools, so i'm SO glad to be going to the east coast. Looking at greatschool.org is a bit overwhelming. we don't have a ton to spend on a house (need to do our budget, but BAH is $2300 a month, but we'd like to pay less, of course).
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. if you know of a good realtor, schools, etc. i'm originally from VA (northern VA) and am so excited to go back to somewhere close.

Advertisement

Tara, lovin' wife to a United States Marine (Ray), and mommy to the E's: Emeline 9.23.03, Everett 6.29.05 & Elianna 3.20.08, missing my baby in heaven 7/11, my rainbows are here! Easton & Evangeline 10.22.12
taralynnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
patientlywaiting
Registered Users
seller

Re: Coumbia, MD ladies...coming at ya!

Wish I could help ya mama, but we live in western MD, however the school I went to was amazing, blue ribbon school but that would be a little ways to drive lol
patientlywaiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
ERISAmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I grew up in Columbia and my parents still live there. It's a great place. We hope to move there (from Montgomery county) before DD is old enough for school.

What questions do you have? What's the budget/size of house? There are a lot of great town homes in great school districts.

PM me. I'm happy to answer anything I can.
crunchy-urban-homesteading lifestyle!
ERISAmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
taralynnel
Registered Users
seller

Location: Monterey, CA (where ever the Marine Corps takes me)
My Mood:

thanks! i'll pm ya!
Tara, lovin' wife to a United States Marine (Ray), and mommy to the E's: Emeline 9.23.03, Everett 6.29.05 & Elianna 3.20.08, missing my baby in heaven 7/11, my rainbows are here! Easton & Evangeline 10.22.12
taralynnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
pharmgirl13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I live pretty close to Columbia. Howard County has a great school system. Many of my friends/co-workers live in Columbia so I can definately get info for you if you need it!
Old 02-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmgirl13 View Post
I live pretty close to Columbia. Howard County has a great school system. Many of my friends/co-workers live in Columbia so I can definately get info for you if you need it!
This. Howard and A.A. County's have just as good if not better schools than Montgomery. Montgomery used to be "better" but not anymore. The commute is a hassle from Montgomery and you are overpaying for far smaller houses. Columbia is very built up now with pretty much everything you need. Ft. Mead has a very nice commissary and other things.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
Joy2luvfam
Registered Users

We came from oki, JP (marine fam too) and ended up in glen burnie. Columbia was what we were originally looking at but COL is higher there. We are renting a 3 bed/2 bath house for 1600 but that was impossible in Columbia.the cheapest we saw was 2000 and our bah was 2200 when we got here (last July) I suggest looking around and if you need a realtor I have a great military-friendly guy who is helping us find a home let me know
Joy2luvfam is offline   Reply With Quote