Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
gigismomma
Registered Users
seller

Please reassure me about sleeping position......

I am 17 weeks pregnant and for weeks I have been TRYING to sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees. But I keep waking up flat on my stomach! It actually isn't uncomfortable, apparently I can sleep that way for hours. But it also doesn't feel right (when I wake up and roll off my stomach into a different position, it almost feels like my belly 'pops back out' and stretches out again).

Of course the anxious side of me is worried that I am squishing or compressing the baby in an unhealthy way.

Can you hurt the baby by sleeping on your stomach during the second trimester and beyond (when the uterus is well above the pubic bone)?

Advertisement

gigismomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
MaterofJacob
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please reassure me about sleeping position......

I carried small with my first and am looking the same with my second and I laid on my stomach sometimes up to 20-something weeks without it being uncomfortable. DS is a happy healthy toddler now and the new baby is doing just fine. I'm not an expert but I wouldn't be too worried. If your belly was really big and there was a big baby in there maybe but I don't think you are far enough along for it to be a problem.

Check out my IHA/ISO: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...5#post16697295
MaterofJacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

there is a lot of cushion with ammniotic fluid, etc.....if YOU are comfortable, it's probably fine. I don't think in many other countries do they tell pregnant women how to sleep. Once I realized that, I started sleeping comfortably on my back
Old 04-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's fine. No worries. Baby is definitely fine. As long as you are comfy, it's all good. Even the sleeping on the back thing is slightly off. I mean, you can lay on that blood vessel (The venacava something or other) and cause issues, but if it is a problem, your body knows it. I've thrown up from laying on it too long during an u/s before. With my last set of twins, I couldn't lay on my back even slightly or even for a minute. I would get dizzy and light headed and throw up. It was annoying. The drs and nurses and u/s techs would want me to lay back and I'd have to say, "sorry, I really can't." LOL.

If there is a problem, your body will tell you and you'll move.

I slept on my stomach almost all the way through with my first pregnancy. I'm still sleeping on my stomach this time at 12wks. I couldn't with my 2 twins because my belly was just too big. But, first single and this one, I'm most comfortable on my stomach. Strange because I don't sleep on my stomach when I'm not. There is actually something about the pressure it puts on my belly that helps my nausea and seems to be more comfortable for me. Enjoy it while you still can!

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 04-02-2012 at 11:35 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
Amanda+2
Registered Users
seller
seller

When I was pg with the twins I couldnt sleep on my side at all, and the physio i was seeing for SPD said as long as you are comfy sleep any which way you can. Your body will tell you long before there is a problem. WIth this singleton I have been sleeping on my stomach until the last week or so I'm 22 weeks.

Don't panic, and just sleep however you can!
Amanda+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
seacat
Registered Users
seller

I slept on my stomach until about 24 weeks or so and then I started sleeping on my back. I guess I'm not a side sleeper. Your body will tell you when you need to move. Late in my pregancy I would wake up gasping because I needed to roll over. You aren't going to harm the baby at 17 week by sleeping on your tummy there is still a lot of room to move around in there right now.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
gigismomma
Registered Users
seller

Thank you, everyone! I feel so much better. I hate how I can make myself so anxious about stuff like this during pregnancy........logic tells me not to worry, but I still can't help it. I hate how pregnancy makes me an anxious basket case!
gigismomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigismomma View Post
Thank you, everyone! I feel so much better. I hate how I can make myself so anxious about stuff like this during pregnancy........logic tells me not to worry, but I still can't help it. I hate how pregnancy makes me an anxious basket case!
People always say "eating for two" when they're pregnant... but I think we definitely worry for two!!
MamaCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

With my first, I was so careful to go to sleep the 'right' way... and every morning, I would wake up on my belly. Seriously, right up until I had him. I must have looked ridiculous. He turned out OK.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

sleep how you want. if something is wrong, your body will know and you will switch positions. don't worry mama =)
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote