Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-11-2012, 05:16 AM   #1
Mrs. Logan
Registered Users

Sleeping through the night?

My 7 week old is not quite "sleeping through the night" but is getting close with longer and longer stretches of time sleeping. Last night, I put him down at 8 and he woke for his first feeding at 3am. I had been waking him at 11 to feed, but wanted to see if I was disrupting his longest stretch, and much like I had thought, I was!

So, when he woke up at 3, my breasts were so full!!!! Almost painfully so. So there, in the rocker, I started reading online about what to do when baby sleeps longer periods of time. People suggested pumping. Won't that make too much milk? I mean, he doesn't need my body to produce milk for that feeding. Isn't the whole supply and demand thing being thrown off if I "demand" something that I don't necessarily need to supply for?

What have you done? Pumped? Not pumped? I'm confused!!

Also, should I be waking him to feed one last time at night, or let him sleep during that long stretch?

Thanks

Advertisement

Mrs. Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:34 AM   #2
rebekka117
Registered Users
seller

Re: Sleeping through the night?

i wouldn't pump, unless you want to have some saved up for babysitters then it's the perfect time to pump! eventually you'll 'even out' and won't feel so full at night, and you'll still be producing the perfect amount of milk for your baby.
rebekka117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

By seven weeks, as long as baby is gaining weight properly and having enough diapers (and nursing on demand during the day to keep supply up), i would feel comfortable letting baby sleep. You are right about the supply and demand. As long as you keep feeding (or pumping) at that time your body will keep producing. After a few days of no demand at that time, your body will slow production around then. So, If your intention is to pump and save then great! If your intention is to prevent the engorgement, you are probably just delaying it (unless you pump a little less each time).
Old 04-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #4
momma2a&h
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with what PPs have said. If you want to build a nice freezer stash then it sounds like now may be a good time to do so. But if you want your supply to even out to your baby's needs then pumping probably isn't ideal. I had oversupply issues with my first and when I had my second and was discussing things with my LC she said that a major cause of oversupply issues can be overpumping (which I definitely did with my first). She gave good advice which was that if you are pumping to increase supply then obviously you would take normal measures (pumping after a feed, a pumping session before going to sleep or early in the morning before LO wakes up) but if you are pumping bc you are engorged then only pump a little (enough to relieve some discomfort) otherwise this will signal to your body that more milk needs to be produced. There are still times when I wake up feeling uncomfortable (my LO is now 13 months) if she sleeps through the night and our normal routine is off but it does balance out with the ever changing supply/demand needs that your baby requires. Good luck and congrats on your new little babe :-)
Old 04-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
SimplySarah85
Registered Users
seller

My doctor suggested to me to just pump enough to relieve the engorgment and pain. Then, you can even out. Breastfeeding is so confusing- I've had to ask LOTS of questions.
SimplySarah85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
philenabean
Registered Users

I never pumped. I just dealt with the minor pain that I would feel while my baby and body worked out how much milk was necessary. I was usually just too tired or lazy to deal with a pump. I never used it with DD2 and didn't have any mastitis with her. Good luck and hope this helps!
philenabean is offline   Reply With Quote