Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Inexpensive chick litter?

Calling the chicken mamas! So our girls are stinky little buggers and I would like to change their litter every other day, if not daily.. what's a good inexpensive way to keep their box clean? I picked up this little package of recycled pet litter at walmart and it was $8!!! It's only enough for a day or two!

Advertisement

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Inexpensive chick litter?

I know some people who just put newspaper under their chicks when they are little. We used pine shavings right from the get go. We buy big bales of pine shavings at the feed store and they go a long way, especially only using a little at a time. The bale costs us around $6.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

We used a thin layer of straw over the wood bottom of our chick hutch. I have also used the lawn mower trimmings, from our pesticide free, organic lawn (dried out first) as a recycled cheaper version. We change them out frequently.
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

back to the feed store, then. I didn't even ask about litter there. I have so much to learn! I did read on backyard chickens that newspaper is a no no, too slippery and can make them sick.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
blessed1018
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did wood shavings for a few weeks...but they stink and you get so much dust from them.

I ended up using sand (like sand box play sand) in the brooder for the rest of their brooder time. You just get a kitty scoop and scoop the poop of the top and then mix the sand every day. (Just scoop the poop out first!)

Make sure the sand is DRY before you put it in. Sometimes the bags are wet when you buy them...wet sand = poop that does not dry out.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have used sawdust (thicker stuff from BIL's mill) if using something like that make sure to keep a check on their vent.

We have used newspaper with great results.If you are changing it daily, it doesn't get yucky/slippery.

My fave way to raise chicks though is to just have a small chick proof pen that can be moved around the yard. We run an extension cord to it if they are at the stage they still need a light at night. We have actually used PVC pipe to create one and we have also used an old trampoline frame (lightweight enough it can be moved easily and works for laying hens too!)

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #7
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

we used just regular hay from the feed store. It was like $12 a bale and that's city price so it's cheap!! either way they did stink. We had to put them in the garage. I was so glad when they were big enough to go outside!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I did finally get some pine shavings for about $2 a bag so I got a couple. That's tons better than the recycled litter I got at first! I'm changing them daily so they don't smell. Unfortunately they must stay inside right now, it's too cold outdoors yet and I have four "barn" cats that would love to make them a little chicky dinner.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
mebl0901
Registered Users
seller

I used paper towels under them when they were really little. Not super cheap, but everything I read said that they don't know not to eat wood shavings, etc and if they do, it can kill them.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebl0901 View Post
I used paper towels under them when they were really little. Not super cheap, but everything I read said that they don't know not to eat wood shavings, etc and if they do, it can kill them.
Maybe it depends on the breed?

We used only wood shavings when we were raising 200+ at a time. We would loose very few chicks and only had losses the first day or two after getting them (unless the cat got in )

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote