Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Inexpensive chick litter?

I have heard that as well about shavings, but everyone we know uses shavings with chicks without incident. None of ours ate it... Well, maybe they did, but no one died.

You'll know when it is time to put them out. LOL I kept ours in for a while and then one day, it was BAM- Get these chicks out of my sunroom!!!! Just suddenly they were all adolescent hens and not as fluffy cute and they STUNK. Yeah, you'll know.

Advertisement

Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #12
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

mine seem to like kicking it but they aren't eating it. I've changed the water feeder about six times already today.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #13
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
mine seem to like kicking it but they aren't eating it. I've changed the water feeder about six times already today.

Try putting the water container up on a platform. We have used a board before. In a pinch, even a casserole dish flipped upside down works.

They quickly figure out how to hop up and get a drink as it isn't all that high. Make it just high enough so that they aren't able to easily fill it up with shavings.

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:00 AM   #14
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

good idea, will try that tomorrow when I can scout out a small enough dish! I think I have a plant drip tray that would work outside....
Old 04-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #15
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm using paper towels, its not slippery like newspaper. I've heard shavings are way messy and get in the food and water. I clean the area daily and its so easy. I have 12 chicks and 1 super size roll lasts 4-5 days.
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #16
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Well I'd try paper towels, but then what would they entertain themselves with? LOL Their current "thing" is to scratch around till they find the "biggest" shaving and then take turns teasing each other with it.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #17
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can throw a worm in or we got a chick stick that they peck at and eat. It's treat food mixed with some softer food and it hangs in the cage. We got it at a supply store for $5.99. It lasted us 4 days but we have 12 chicks. My kids find worms outside and put them in, they run around chasing each other like crazy, my kids cant quit laughing. This is our first time with chicks too, its demanding but so fun
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #18
cdwelton
Registered Users
seller

We use pine shavings and haven't lost any to eating them. Also I think that the scratching of the pine chips prepares them for scratching outside. We have a lot of crickets here so we catch them and feed them to the chickens and they love that also.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #19
okiemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
pine shavings fir sure!
Old 04-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #20
Sristi
Registered Users
seller

One year I used strips from the paper shredder. It tended to clump, but it was cheap/free!
Sristi is offline   Reply With Quote