Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
myheartsathome11
Registered Users
seller

Wet Diapers...PUL problems?

I've been cloth diapering my daughter for about 3 and half months. Now for some reason her diapers are soaked and feel damp through her clothes. I'm stripped and put new inserts in. Could it be something is wrong with the PUL? These are not leaks because it's all over the diaper not just in one spot and it's not wet, just damp. We dry our inserts in the dryer and hang our covers dry.

Advertisement

myheartsathome11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Wet Diapers...PUL problems?

I had one diaper from a free pile at a garage sale that clearly leaked all over from cracks in the PUL. Just kind of made her clothes damp on the entire diaper area.

If you looked at it you really couldn't see anything. But I put a really wet insert in and squeezed. It was astonishing to see just how much water beaded through the PUL to the outside.

If you are sure it isn't from an over saturated diaper, and sure it's not repelling (see if water beads up when you sprinkle it on the inside), and sure it's not a fit problem then it could be the PUL.

Look inside to see if there's obvious delaminating, cracks or rips in the PUL. You could try the water test that I did. Or my new and easy method of checking is to put your mouth up to it and blow kind of like you would to a balloon (try it in a few different spots). If nothing gets through then you're good to go, but if the slightest amount is getting through then the PUL is bad.

If the problem is minimal you could try putting them in the dryer on high heat, it will shrink small holes and has worked miracles in my opinion. There are some uses for problematic PUL diapers, so don't chuck them!
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
clover
Registered Users
seller

Yes, there could be something wrong with the PUL. What type of detergent are you using? Any other laundry additives?
When this is happening, is it right away or after the diaper has been on for a couple of hours? Are the inserts completely saturated?
clover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Turn the diaper inside out so you can see the PUL and sorta stretch the dipe and look for cracks in the PUL. Don't stretch so much that you rip it, just enough to check for cracks.

Siri probably wrote this!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
cdwelton
Registered Users
seller

This happened to me on some diapers I just got on FSOT. Hope it's not the PUL It's an AIO, so no way to see the PUL either.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
myheartsathome11
Registered Users
seller

We use rockin green and once a month I use biokleen oxygen bleach plus. I bought most of these diapers new and they are name brand. It usually feels damp after about 30 mins. I will try to put them in the dryer tonight and see if that helps.
myheartsathome11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by myheartsathome11 View Post
We use rockin green and once a month I use biokleen oxygen bleach plus. I bought most of these diapers new and they are name brand. It usually feels damp after about 30 mins. I will try to put them in the dryer tonight and see if that helps.
If they were new and name-brand, most manufacturers offer a 1 year warranty. See if you can return them if you confirm it's the PUL.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #8
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspopo View Post
If they were new and name-brand, most manufacturers offer a 1 year warranty. See if you can return them if you confirm it's the PUL.
Yes! If there's a PUL problem, it should be covered by the manufacturer. Good luck!
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote