Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
mslulubellekiwi
Registered Users

recommendation for newborn covers?

I'm going to go with the prefold/flat diaper with covers option because of my budget and want to invest in a few covers to use with them. Can anyone recommend a good cover to use? There are so many options and I have limited funds. I know I have to be careful with the cord stump and already nervous being a new mom. Thank-you! I'm grateful for any help.

Advertisement

mslulubellekiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
YiddleDoppers
Registered Users
Formerly: mama2lumpynoodles
seller

Re: recommendation for newborn covers?

Don't worry too much the nervous new Mamas are the good ones! The cord stump really isn't something you need to stress about too much. You just don't want it inside the diaper where it could pick up an infection.
Bummis XS covers (SWW) are great and affordable! They kinda dip down in front to avoid irritating the umbi.

ETA: the cord usually falls off in just a few days, so dealing with it is relatively short-lived, hth.
"Mandie" wife to one awesome dude and Mama to a brood of active boys. Also the heart and hands behind Yiddle Doppers™ on HC and Y.Woman™ on Etsy. Looking for OOAK, rare and HTF items? Stalk us on Stalkerazzi Congo

Last edited by YiddleDoppers; 04-03-2012 at 05:48 PM.
YiddleDoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YiddleDoppers View Post
Bummis XS covers are great and affordable! I'd stay away from econobum. I just bought one for when my nephew stays with me, and I am not a fan, lol!
I agree 100% with the Bummis XS cover suggestion. We CDed DS almost exclusively in Bummis covers & GMD prefolds when he was a newbie. The combo is dynamite and we will be doing it again with our new newbie.

Many people like the Thirsties Duo covers for newbies. Compared to an XS Bummis cover, you'll get more use out of a size 1 Thirsties Duo cover because it fits for a longer range of weight. I'm not sure how exactly they compare in cost, but I imagine they aren't much more expensive.

Also, I have to defend Econobum covers. I LOVE Econobum covers. There is no better bang-for-your-buck product on the cloth-diapering market than Econobum covers and prefolds. Having said that, I would never use them on a newborn. They are supposed to fit starting at 8lbs, but they would be WAY too bulky on an 8lb baby. They are glorious on my toddler though.

Last edited by ashley84; 04-03-2012 at 05:51 PM.
ashley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
littlehands
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd go with the size 1 Swaddlebees Capri over the Thirsties Duo myself. Size range is bigger, and I think it's more durably made.
littlehands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
mslulubellekiwi
Registered Users

Thank you ladies for the suggestions! i've put together an order on GMD for two dozen newborn prefolds, a dozen of the next sized prefolds. Two thirsties duo in newborn, an econobum and a bummis cover. All I can afford for now because today I also paid my doula but I know its an investment. I did also get ten flour towels from Walmart today and boiled those....they softened alot and I'm looking forward to trying to tie-dye them. I'm so glad I found this website and all the advice I've gotten trying to get acclimated to cloth diapers. Thank-you again!
mslulubellekiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Rumparooz newborn covers are $10 - $12 each and are great newborn covers!
Old 04-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Bummis Super Lites are cheap and fit my tiny newborn from day 1. Prowraps are also cheap and fit well. I've had 2 6 pounders so we needed truly newborn size stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 04-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
Abby's Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've heard good things about Bummis Super Brites and Super Lites, so I got an xs and s in each to try. I don't have any experience with them on a NB, but just thought I'd chime in on what I've heard/bought
Old 04-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
cryswilkins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom
Rumparooz newborn covers are $10 - $12 each and are great newborn covers!
I like RAR as well. Also the Thirsties duo size 1.

cryswilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #10
BoyCrazy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I loved my RaR covers!!! They fit right away and fit him for a long time, at least up to 13 lbs. I liked my duo wraps too but the RaR fit better and cost less, and seemed better quality.
BoyCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote