Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
monkeysmom615
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do you have a TOP loader HE machine? Come in!

What's your wash routine???? The machine we were given by housing is a top loading HE machine and I loathe it! I can not get my diapers clean and DS keeps getting a rash (I posted about this last night). So if you can help me out with this stupid machine I may be able to avoid calling housing and telling them to come take it (and going back to our old school regular top loader instead of selling it). Thank you!!

Advertisement

CPST! AF Wife and Mama to a 6/15/08 Monkey who has an unhealthy fascination with the And a 7/26/11 toddler with a huge personality! I, personally, have a sick love of the icon. Swagbucks - Earning free $! My ISO/IHA
monkeysmom615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you have a TOP loader HE machine? Come in!

I have a Whirlpool Cabrio and I love it. I've been successfully washing cloth diapers in it for over two years now. We were told when we bought it that it's a HE, but we don't have to use HE soap. It's a top loader. We got it when I was pregnant with DS. I've never washed cloth diapers in any other machine.

I wash my diapers in two cycles. I run one cycle on cold wash with an extra rinse. I usually add vingear or Bac-Out to this cycle. I run a second cycle on hot with an extra rinse. I use laundry soap and Borax or Oxiclean on my second cycle.

The above routine has worked pretty faithfully for me. I had some problems with stinky microfiber for awhile, but I attribute that to our ridiculously hard water. When I was having stinkies, I did A LOT of switching and trying natural laundry soaps and finally settled on the original Tide powder. I super duper stockpiled the old powder when they switched to the new ultra powder. (I probably have enough of the old stuff to last through CDing every future kid we ever have!) We've since gotten a water softener which has solved our hard water problems and we no longer have stinky diapers, ever.

Don't be afraid to bleach microfiber and prefolds on occasion. It does a world of good!

Good luck, mama!
Old 04-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
Brandy1010
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I love mine! Its a kenmore (i dont remember the name).. Anyways, I always used the bulky setting with hot water and longest wash. Bulky setting fills the washer all the way with water. So my routine was rinse with low spin... Long hot wash on bulky with an extra rinse. I used tide also.
Brandy1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
bug2003
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a GE that lets me choose the water level instead of just having it auto sense. I ALWAYS have it set for the largest load water level no matter the size of load I'm doing. For diapers, I do a warm pre-wash with one scoop of biokleen powdered detergent w/an extra rinse, then a hot heavy wash with Tide all they way to line three (liquid). I add bleach sometimes as well. I then do another warm light wash w/ nothing just to make sure everything got rinsed out -- probably overkill, but I like to be sure. Haven't had an issue with this routine at all. Took me a bit to get that to work once we switched to a HE machine, but I haven't changed it once I found what works. We use AIO's and pockets and have extremely hard water.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
monkeysmom615
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley84 View Post
I have a Whirlpool Cabrio and I love it. I've been successfully washing cloth diapers in it for over two years now. We were told when we bought it that it's a HE, but we don't have to use HE soap. It's a top loader. We got it when I was pregnant with DS. I've never washed cloth diapers in any other machine.

I wash my diapers in two cycles. I run one cycle on cold wash with an extra rinse. I usually add vingear or Bac-Out to this cycle. I run a second cycle on hot with an extra rinse. I use laundry soap and Borax or Oxiclean on my second cycle.

The above routine has worked pretty faithfully for me. I had some problems with stinky microfiber for awhile, but I attribute that to our ridiculously hard water. When I was having stinkies, I did A LOT of switching and trying natural laundry soaps and finally settled on the original Tide powder. I super duper stockpiled the old powder when they switched to the new ultra powder. (I probably have enough of the old stuff to last through CDing every future kid we ever have!) We've since gotten a water softener which has solved our hard water problems and we no longer have stinky diapers, ever.

Don't be afraid to bleach microfiber and prefolds on occasion. It does a world of good!

Good luck, mama!
This is the machine we have! I'll start trying your routine and see if that works! Thank you (everyone)!! I'm SO GLAD to know I don't HAVE to use HE detergent in this machine, I can go back to Ivory Snow!
CPST! AF Wife and Mama to a 6/15/08 Monkey who has an unhealthy fascination with the And a 7/26/11 toddler with a huge personality! I, personally, have a sick love of the icon. Swagbucks - Earning free $! My ISO/IHA
monkeysmom615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
lrgs
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have one........Maytag Bravos and I love it......my wash routine is cold (or warm) rinse, hot wash, cold rinse and extra rinse. I use Country Save detergent and a tbsp of Tide Free and Clear.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
Mom21
Registered Users
seller

I have an LG HE toploader and hate the thing. I started out using the bulky cycle to get enough water but my dipes never seemed clean. I was in the laundry room one day while it was running and took a look through the glass, and there were the diapers, gently floating and swaying while it barely agitated.

Then I moved to heavy duty which really agitated but used nowhere near enough water and there's no option to choose water levels.

I think I finally have the answer which is a rinse and spin with a scoop of Funk Rock, a rinse with no spin so they'll be good and heavy to trick the thing into using enough water, and then a heavy duty cycle on hot with two scoops of RG and programmed with two extra rinses. All rinses are cold only, no option on that either. Sometimes I cut the cold water off to the machine while it's filling for the heavy duty cycle because HE machines think hot means mixing hot and cold water.
Mom21 is offline   Reply With Quote