Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
MomdeIsla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bad BFing experiece with #1...Advice please!!

I used lilypadz when DD was nursing. (wonder if they still make them?)...they compress your nipple to prevent let down....worked for me. They are silcone and last 3-4 mos....so more $ upfront but cheaper if you go through a lot of disposable pads.

Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #12
scrapandsewon
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomdeIsla
I used lilypadz when DD was nursing. (wonder if they still make them?)...they compress your nipple to prevent let down....worked for me. They are silcone and last 3-4 mos....so more $ upfront but cheaper if you go through a lot of disposable pads.
They do still make them. I've seen them available online, at Amazon as well as maybe it was both, Babies R Us & Target.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:19 AM   #13
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone. Great ideas! I think I'm going to have a better time of things with our next one!
Dani_Phen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #14
kdc_star
Registered Users

Remember too that the first 6 weeks of breastfeeding is the hardest. You deal with over supply, leaky boobs, latch issues, etc. Just try your hardest to keep with it and not give up. There were many times in those first few weeks where I wanted to give up, but I persevered and we are still going strong 4.5 months later. You CAN do it!!

Oh and I found I had better luck with reusable nursing pads. I had some flannel ones and the Nuk ones and I just always made sure I had an extra pair or two with me
kdc_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:19 AM   #15
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomdeIsla View Post
I've seen them before. A lot of the reviews I've read say they aren't as helpful after a few days. I never tried them with my son b/c I gave up too easily. They are on my list though to try with #2.
It wouldn't have been so bad with #1 if I hadn't leaked so much. I was so embarrassed...One day I leaked at church through 2 pads, a tank top and a dress. I had to button my jacket to cover it up! The rest of the service (which I hid in the bathroom with baby for), I had it running down my belly b/c I didn't have enough pads with me and I couldn't leave because I rode with my family that day. My sister eventually came in and gave me two medium sized menstrual pads. It was awful! I used the really thick disposable pads and they worked but you could see them through my clothes so they were an around the house deal. And anytime I nursed my son, I leaked so bad on the other side too and had to change my shirt everytime after.
Dani_Phen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #16
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani_Phen
And anytime I nursed my son, I leaked so bad on the other side too and had to change my shirt everytime after.
Another great use for prefolds - at least when you're home. Just use one on the non-nursing side to keep you dry.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #17
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

I know that leaking is incredibly embarrassing and a total PITA, but I think that if you hold off on the pumping this time you're going to be in good shape. There is nothing worse then dealing with a low supply, and it seems you are unlikely to have that problem! Don't beat yourself up because you didn't stick it out with #1- remember, bad mamas are the ones who don't feed their babies, not the mamas who don't breastfeed.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:13 AM   #18
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Alright. I'm bringing this thread back up...After MUCH research, I have a few (maybe a lot) more questions.

I have a madela harmony manual breast pump and an advent isis on my "wish list" on amazon. I've read review upon review on SO many manual pumps and these are the two I found to work best based on reviews from amazon and various other sites. I am keeping my lansinoh electric pump as well. What are your opinions and experience with the two manual I've mentioned? Do they work well? Are they easy to use and quick to assemble and clean?

Also, I've found knickernappies stay-dry breast pads. Anyone tried these? I've seen/heard good things about them so they are on my wishlist as well.

What kind of nursing bra do you suggest? I've recently bought a few used motherhood sleep bras from a mama on DS(haven't recieved them yet). Any one tried them? Thoughts?

What kind of cover (if any) do you suggest? I have a motherhood nursing scarf that I recently found on sale at a really great price and purchased. I'm not big on scarves but I tried it on and held ds (now 10 months old and 24lbs) and covered him well, so our next should have no problem under it. I also won a free uddercovers cover recently.

I've heard that nursing/teething necklaces work well. Even bottle feeding ds he's so distracted and I'd like to try one. What are your thoughts on these? Do they work well? Where can I get a quality one with out spending a lot of $$ or would it be less expensive if I made one of my own? If so, where can I get the materials and what do you suggest?

Also to add, the wal-mart in our new area HAS inexpensive nursing tanks!!! I plan to try a few on and see how they fit the next time I go shopping alone while dh keeps ds. DH is being very supportive and wants me to try to stick with bfing our next one. I'm so glad I found this site b/c I feel so much more confident about and determind to stick with bfing the next one. Thanks so much for all the info, girls!!!
Old 04-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #19
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm replying from the app so I'm just going to break up your post - hope it's not too confusing.

I have a madela harmony manual breast pump and an advent isis on my "wish list" on amazon. I've read review upon review on SO many manual pumps and these are the two I found to work best based on reviews from amazon and various other sites. I am keeping my lansinoh electric pump as well. What are your opinions and experience with the two manual I've mentioned? Do they work well? Are they easy to use and quick to assemble and clean?

~I loved my AVENT isis. Easy enough to assemble that my DH could do it for me. The one part that isn't the best is the carrying bag. The blue gel it comes with doesn't keep the milk cold enough IMO so I transferred everything into the storage cooler that came with my medela pump. As long as you're pumping at home it shouldn't be an issue for you.

What kind of nursing bra do you suggest? I've recently bought a few used motherhood sleep bras from a mama on DS(haven't recieved them yet). Any one tried them? Thoughts?

~ I sparkle heart love sleep bras, even after my son weaned I still wore them at night. As for other nursing bras I bought mine from Wal-Mart and Target - I'm cheap. They weren't the prettiest but they got the job done. I found I couldn't wear anything with underwire tho - every time I did I would get a plugged duct. I have a Hot Milk bra in the mail from zulily, they look nice, I just hope it fits.

What kind of cover (if any) do you suggest? I have a motherhood nursing scarf that I recently found on sale at a really great price and purchased. I'm not big on scarves but I tried it on and held ds (now 10 months old and 24lbs) and covered him well, so our next should have no problem under it. I also won a free uddercovers cover recently.

~ I never really used a cover, I wore layered shirts to make sure that I was as covered as possible. I tried using a receiving blanket in the beginning but my son would just pull it off.

I've heard that nursing/teething necklaces work well. Even bottle feeding ds he's so distracted and I'd like to try one. What are your thoughts on these? Do they work well? Where can I get a quality one with out spending a lot of $$ or would it be less expensive if I made one of my own? If so, where can I get the materials and what do you suggest?

~ I have one of each on my registry. Nursing necklaces are for baby to mess with while they nurse - teething necklaces are typically made of amber and are worn by baby when they are teething. I used links I found on The Leaky Boob's blog.

Also to add, the wal-mart in our new area HAS inexpensive nursing tanks!!! I plan to try a few on and see how they fit the next time I go shopping alone while dh keeps ds. DH is being very supportive and wants me to try to stick with bfing our next one. I'm so glad I found this site b/c I feel so much more confident about and determind to stick with bfing the next one. Thanks so much for all the info, girls!!!

~ You're welcome - best of luck!
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #20
JadeScarlet
Registered Users

I'm a SAHM and only have a medela hand pump and it has worked great. I pumped a lot early on to relieve engorgement, now I hardly pump at all because it is just easier to feed directly (saves time warming bottles, and no need to wash and sterilize later). (although this means my freezer stash doesn't get rotated and most of it is past date, depending on where you read about milk storage time).

For pads - I have some that my friend made for me and they worked great, but I don't know what fabrics she used. Maybe ask around the WAHM mom group for recommendations?

Bras - I have a super expensive one that I got from a boutique store which is OK. I have two cheap ones from walmart that are terrible (they were underwire and hurt. I pulled the wires out, still not very comfortable). I have 3 glamourmom nursing tops and one milk daze and I mostly live in those. I also have a medela sleep bra, which is probably the most comfortable. In general though, they all bug me. I never had this problem before, but after pregnancy I started getting terrible rashes under my breasts where the bra elastic was. The expensive boutique bra and the medela sleep bra were the least likely to cause them, but usually still irritated my skin.

Shirts - I went to good will and got several nice shirts that button down in front. Not official nursing shirts, but cheap and simple. I also have a nice one that I got from a sale at Motherhood.

Pajamas - I have a nursing nightgown and pajamas, both from motherhood. I love LOVE LOVE them. At first I had problems because I needed a bra under them. Around 6-7 months my supply became stable enough that I could sleep in just the pajama tops with no bra. This has done wonders from my skin issues that I mentioned in the bra section.

My budget advice is to look for button-shirts and low-cut tops at thrift stores (before pregnant I thought all the trendy low-cut tops were kind of tacky, but now I think they are perfect for BFing!)

My not budget advice is to treat yourself to maybe one really good bra, some glamourmom tank tops, and some comfy pajamas.