Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #21
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bad BFing experiece with #1...Advice please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani_Phen View Post
I am not currently breast feeding. We are working on our second baby though and I would like to BF with him/her (and any other children). Our son is now 9 months old. I BF him for a little over a month after he was born then quit b/c of lack of support/help from the better part of the family, going back to work, a breast pump I hated using b/c it was so loud and woke him everytime, pads that left my shirts soaked EVERY time, as well as watching what I ate and not having money to buy nursing shirts/bras. That and the hospital really pushed formula on me. I had a great supply and loved that I could feed my son from me and it was something that only he and I had together. So I had a bad experience but loved the actual BFing part. I am now a SAHM and would LOVE to BF the rest of our children. Any advice on user friendly, quiet, breast pumps to build a freezer supply with (for when we go out on dates and other such things), pads that actually keep your clothing dry (I was a very heavy leaker even within an hour of pumping/feeding), places to buy nursing shirts that won't break the bank and any other advice pertaining to my bad experience? Thanks Mommas.
*hugs* So sorry for your bad experience, but awesome that you want to try again.

I have an Ameda Purely yours breast pump. It's the pump my lactation consultant recommends, and I qualified for WIC so it's the pump that WIC gave me with my last son and I plan on using it again. It's not that loud and works great.

My LC recommends it above the Medela because the Ameda is a closed system and the Medela is not.

As far as nursing tops... I just buy several of the nursing tanks from Target, and wear them under my shirts.. .no need to buy expensive nursing tops. Nursing bras.. opinions on those are going to vary, depending on who you talk to.

I bought my friend some nursing pads form this Etsy store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/MadeByMandaBaby They are really affordable and my friend says she loves them.

My personal favorite nursing pads come from the DS Mama Gem Cloth.. when she has the time to make them.

As far as night time nursing.. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the nursing bras from Motherhood Maternity, they are really affordable and comfy to sleep in. They give you light support (doctors recommend that anyone more than B cup sleep in a bra).... so you have some light support, and they will hold your nursing pads in place. No clips, it's just a cross-over style so you just pull the bra to the side and out pops the boob.. then you just put it back when you're done.

I also sometimes sleep in the nursing tanks.

You can do it mama!!

God bless!

Advertisement

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #22
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks to both of you for so much info!!! I think I'm going to start looking around for a nursing necklace. Even though I am not nursing DS now, I feel like it might keep him from being so distracted when drinking his bottle.
I bought some BOOB nursing shirts from a Mama on DS and they are so comfy and fit perfectly. They are ones that you pull up. I think I'm really going to like them. I also wear a lot of button up shirts already so I thought about just buying some nursing tanks to wear under them. I am so excited. I can't wait for our next one so I can try everything again. I SO wish I could go back in time and would have continued BFing DS.
Thanks so much girls. You may hear more from me as questions pop up in my head.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #23
deezee02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I do not care for the walmart nursing tanks. I have 2 from there and 4 from target. The target ones are much more convenient and fit better IMO.

I have 6 nursing tanks and they were well worth the investment (about $50
Total for all 4 of the target ones...keep an eye out for sales now) I have worn then through 2 babies and they are still going strong. Typically I wear those under any other top. I skip nursing bras altogether.

Lansolah (sp?) nursing pads are the best. For the first 2'months I was changing them often (like every 1-2 hours), but they worked and I rarely leaked through.

Skip the pump altogether is you are a Sahm, you can always use your old one if you need to, but honestly, I have use mine only to build up my supply.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #24
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

ive never had issues with leaking while nursing or any time. If you leak when nursing the milkies milksaveri s suppose to catch that milk so you dont loose it in pads. Maybe look into that and then you wouldnt even need to pump you have stored milk! I love nursing tanks i have several brands. The undercover mamas work well with bras i have abunch of those and tanks from motherhood target and motherhood. Some i dont use as much anymore and are pretty worn so i have those up forsale. I think it great you want to nurse your next little one and are getting as educated as much as you can now. Def get a nursing pillow i think it the thing i use the MOST besides my tanks
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #25
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

oh and check out kellymom.com actually book mark it because anything you can think of there is an answer for there. Also though you might like to look at the info on gassy babies 90% of the time it isnt food related
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:28 AM   #26
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezee02 View Post
I do not care for the walmart nursing tanks. I have 2 from there and 4 from target. The target ones are much more convenient and fit better IMO.

I have 6 nursing tanks and they were well worth the investment (about $50
Total for all 4 of the target ones...keep an eye out for sales now) I have worn then through 2 babies and they are still going strong. Typically I wear those under any other top. I skip nursing bras altogether.

Lansolah (sp?) nursing pads are the best. For the first 2'months I was changing them often (like every 1-2 hours), but they worked and I rarely leaked through.

Skip the pump altogether is you are a Sahm, you can always use your old one if you need to, but honestly, I have use mine only to build up my supply.
I tried one from target with DS and the band was uncomfortable but I didn't pick it out for myself. I've since gone and looked at them and they seem comfortable. I just glanced at the ones from wal-mart b/c my parents were visiting and went with me and I don't want them wondering why I'm looking at that stuff again. I get emails still from different sites about the sales they are having and usually try to get everything on sale for less.

I used lansolah and nuk pads and some (cheap) cloth ones. The cloth did nothing but I believe it's because they were very cheaply made. I ended up having to double up on both kinds of the disposables and wear 2 at once to last more than a hour. It was so frustrating but it sounds like that would have all evened out if I would have stuck it out another few weeks.

With our next one, I think I'm going to just feed from my breast for the first month or two then use the pump to build a small supply for date nights with my hubby, girls nights, and other outings. I'd like to get a manual one for when we are out for a whole day without baby and need to pump. We take an annual trip to an amusement park just for a fun day together alone and leave baby with my parents. The electric one is WAY too bulky to drag along, that's the biggest reason I want a manual or atleast something compact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3boys1girl View Post
ive never had issues with leaking while nursing or any time. If you leak when nursing the milkies milksaveri s suppose to catch that milk so you dont loose it in pads. Maybe look into that and then you wouldnt even need to pump you have stored milk! I love nursing tanks i have several brands. The undercover mamas work well with bras i have abunch of those and tanks from motherhood target and motherhood. Some i dont use as much anymore and are pretty worn so i have those up forsale. I think it great you want to nurse your next little one and are getting as educated as much as you can now. Def get a nursing pillow i think it the thing i use the MOST besides my tanks
Thanks! I've heard that milkies can end up being a pain to use. I've heard a lot of good things about the undercover mamas. If I can get target or walmarts to work, I'll probably just stick with them though, unless I find a really good sale elsewhere. I have a boppy pillow and loved it. We used it a lot even after I stopped nursing. They do wonders for exhausted, worn out from a long day/night arms. haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3boys1girl View Post
oh and check out kellymom.com actually book mark it because anything you can think of there is an answer for there. Also though you might like to look at the info on gassy babies 90% of the time it isnt food related
Thanks, a lot!!! I got on there, checked it out and so far I think I'm going to be on that site a fair amount of time (when I'm not running after ds, cleaning, doing the other millions of things on my to do list, or on here.)