Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #21
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Oh yeah, my daughter loves when I ask her to push the chopper. She's not pushing it enough to actually chop, but she gets very excited to help me.

Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #22
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Re: What do you do with your kids when you are cooking?

I wear my 22 mo old on my back if he is just not happy and no one is around. Or I put him in his high chair with a snack. Lots of times he will watch yo gabba gabba for a few minutes or just play on his own, but not always. He also LOVES to help me cook, so I have him help me measure the rice and water for the rice cooker, he has stirred soups and ground beef, adds noodles to the water, mixes up salsa or helps toss salad. Oh and he loves to sprinkle cheese on everything
Old 04-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #23
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

If I can't get them involved in projects, cooking, or playing, I drag out the special box of toys. I put it away as soon as I am done so it stays special. Sometimes I just drag out an empty box LOL and that will keep them occupied for a while
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #24
KB'sMama1031
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am loving all of these ideas! I always need new ones for cooking entertainment!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #25
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i have also filled the sink with some water and put some non breakable dishes in there for the boys to "wash". We have a chair they can stand on.

A bowl of flour or rice they can stir and I will give them smaller bowl of ingredients--spices, dried beans, ect.

if I am really desperate I will put them in the bath tub. I can see right into the bathroom while standing at my kitchen island. --I didn't do this till about age 2 though.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #26
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Can you premake more meals? I try to do the majority of our cooking on the weekends and then freeze. Then I just pull it out to cook/bake when we need it. I'm home while they nap two days a week and these days I prepare dinner while they nap and then just cook/bake when it is time.

When I absolutely have to do something tedious while they are up (we have a gate across the kitchen...so they can't get in) I set up a computer on the kitchen table with a Baby Einstein video. That'll keep them occupied for at least 10 minutes depending on the day!
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #27
jamilynn84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I recently discovered busy bags. They keep my kids entertained at the table while i cook. I did googling and pinteresting to find some cheap easy ideas. For about $15 in craft supplies i made 10-15 bags to keep them entertained. Now i try to add one activity a week.

I also have 7 quiet bins labeled with days of the week with small quiet toys books and simple reusable craft stuff. Because they only see those toys once a week they seem special.

Apologizing in advance for iPhone typos/autocorrect
Old 04-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #28
pcjs
Registered Users

iPad with leap frog videos.

My kid at that age would not sit in a high chair and we switched to a booster and it was 100% better.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #29
OneDayAtATime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DS1 (2.5) helps cook. DS2 (11m) will either play on the floor with toys or sit in his high chair and munch on some cheerios
Old 04-05-2012, 07:24 AM   #30
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands&Fire Pottery View Post
Uggh.... I think I would be having a heart to heart with DH about whether he wants to truly supervise or cook the meal.

The other thing I have had success with is offering appetizers to my child in the high chair while I cook- usually veggies. It sounds like eating is not appealing enough to yours though to do that. I really liked the Learning Tower when we were at the climbing on everything stage. DD was willing to climb in there and not so much on the chairs and table which was what she previously wanted to do.
Okay, I googled the Learning Tower and that looks pretty sweet! Would also be helpful in the bathroom possibly? Of course DD is a bit of a daredevil and I can totally picture her climbing up (which she would love) and then turning around and dive-bombing into the stove. Ooops