Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:
How to afford a Midwife?

This whole ordeal is just plain stupid if you ask me because midwives are 1/3 of the cost of a hospital birth but here is the deal. We have insurance but they do not pay out for maternity until after the baby is born. NOTHING until then. The midwives I am interviewing want their fees up front or on a pay plan that has you paid off by 7 months gestation which means we are "fronting" the 5k to the midwife and hoping the insurance will pay US back in the end.
1st issue is we do not have 5k, my hubby was laid off in Jan. and is only working part time right now. I have been hearing lately that insurance does not always pay out for midwives even if they tell you they do and you have to resubmit forms a ton of times to get any money at all. 2nd issue is I really do not want a hospital birth and in my area is is ONLY home birth or hospital birth as options, there are no midwives that work in birth centers in my area.
Has anyone found a way around this issue?

Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to afford a Midwife?

move to Canada

I kid, I kid. This is a serious issue, and hopefully insurance companies will take notice in the near future.

Do you have any family that could give you a short term loan? or the bank, if it comes to that?

We're expecting #5! "Quinn" coming July 2014!

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
junejay4life
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We did the same thing for my last 2 babies. My insurance never said they would pay and they didn't reimburse any of the costs. Lucky my midwife was really good at working out payments. She works on a sliding scale (she leaves it up to you to decide where your family lies in there) 2800, 2400 or 2000. They want 80% paid by your 36 week visit but I was told every time not to worry about that.

I really hope that you are able to find something that works for you
June wife to Jason. Mom to Kianna(8/4/02), Kody (4/23/04), Katalina (born at home 5/16/07) and Kaden (born at home 11/23/09) and baby #5 due 11/27/12

junejay4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
junejay4life
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dp
June wife to Jason. Mom to Kianna(8/4/02), Kody (4/23/04), Katalina (born at home 5/16/07) and Kaden (born at home 11/23/09) and baby #5 due 11/27/12

junejay4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
GardenMamma
Registered Users

My Mood:
I grip and grip because being military we have 100% maternity and postpartum coverage as long as we birth were they tell us to and see what doctor or midwife they tell us to see. Talk about freedom right? My husband can die for our country's freedom, but I can't birth at home and our insurance cover it!?!?!? It makes me so angry, and so sad. Praise the Lord my midwife makes her fees income based, and we fall into the lowest income so we "only" have to pay $2500. We are very very good at pinching pennies, and I have two part time jobs both of which I take all the kids with me, and my paychecks are direct deposits into our savings account....so we can swing it.
Ashley Wife to a US Marine& Mamma to Braelynn (5), Brody (2), Adalynn (1) , and expecting #4 November 1st!!
GardenMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We don't know how we're going to afford ours, either, but we don't have insurance so we don't have a choice. I'm not sure if our midwife will operate on a sliding scale, either, but it's worth asking. Both midwives I've seen (current was a student last birth) require payment by 36 weeks and then have you submit the global "super bill" to insurance.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
mumtwiceover
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljube112 View Post
move to Canada

I kid, I kid. This is a serious issue, and hopefully insurance companies will take notice in the near future.

Do you have any family that could give you a short term loan? or the bank, if it comes to that?
I can't tell you how unbelieveably lucky I feel to live in Canada - what a stress it is to figure out how your going to pay to have your baby!?!?!?

I second a short term loan from somewhere!!! Do the midwives have a sliding fee system that you can use now and pay the remainder once you get the full cost type of thing (maybe a bit dicey since the midwives would have to give you receipts for the full amount for insurance to reimburse you- but it might be arrangable)

Good luck!!!
mumtwiceover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #8
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We just scrimp and save every bit we can. Ours are 4000. It's pricey. Ours as I'm sure yours includes all prenatal and postnatal appts too. It's brutally expensive but for us worth it. I dont understand why ins companies don't pay, well yes i do but it still aggravates me.

We actually talk about Canada often when paying our mw payments.

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
li'l skeeter
Registered Users
seller

I hear ya, mama! We are fronting all the money too, in monthly payments and then submitting the charges to my insurance at the end of it all. Do you have the option to at least submit claims to your insurance for the prenatal visits as they happen and then submit one final claim for the birth and postpartum care? We are finding creative ways to pay for the services: selling an old car, using tax return money, cutting down our mortage to pay the minimum...anything we can! It's not easy and I think our medical/insurance companies need to really re-evaluate how they handle this issue!
li'l skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #10
mimihol
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am hoping that we can get a tax refund so that we can pay the majority of the money that way. If not we will have to make monthly payments for a long while.