Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: How to afford a Midwife?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpossible View Post
Thanks mamas! All the midwives in this area are AT LEAST 4k that I have talked to so far and require the money up front. I am meeting with one today that I really liked on the phone. I am hoping we can work out a payment plan. I agree that working for free for several months does not seem fair but that dang insurance will not pay until after the birth! It makes me sad that you all gave fee amounts that are SO much lower then this area. Maybe it's higher here because our only option is hospital outside of a home birth...
I think the cost of living is what drives the midwifery prices. The prices my mother charges are for a rural area. We have heard that in chicago they are double to triple the price.

Advertisement

qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #12
mamaratliff
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a fantastic mw in the bay area Her cost is $3900, with a deposit of I think $300 due right away, and then pay the rest as you go with balance due at 36 weeks. It's still cheaper than my insurance co-pay. I'm paying the mw totally oop.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #13
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:

I also have an awesome mw in the bay She goes up to Sac and North bay and is part of a birthing center in the east bay. She asks for a deposit and payment due by edd but you can make arrangements.

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks ladies! The midwife and I totally hit it off today. I think I am in love She worked out a payment plan with us and is giving us 6 months after the birth to pay so we can use next year's tax return. She also has a billing service for our insurance and said she got my insurance to recognize her as an "in network provider" so they would pay the full amount. All that being said we hired her on the spot I am so happy I get to have my home birth and that baby bean gets a midwife!!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #15
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #16
Vegan Princess
Registered Users
seller

Mamaratliff: Which midwife did you use? Feel free to PM me. Thanks!

I too am in the bay area and struggling with this. We have Kaiser so they will reimburse nothing. The midwife I like charges $4500! I'd love to find someone cheaper that I liked. I had my daughter at a birth center in SF in 2009 and paid $3200 - and my old insurance covered all of it - which was a nice surprise. But my old midwife isn't practicing right now. I was surprised midwives are so much more now! I'm considering birthing at the hospital this time - but after such a great out of hospital, water birth, I can't REALLY imagine how that will be.

Cindy
Old 04-05-2012, 01:10 AM   #17
2DaneMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
She worked out a payment plan with us and is giving us 6 months after the birth to pay so we can use next year's tax return. She also has a billing service for our insurance and said she got my insurance to recognize her as an "in network provider" so they would pay the full amount.
That's great! We used a midwife whom we LOVED too. Unfortunately, because DD was breech, I had to deliver in the hospital, and OUCH that meant the insurance wouldn't cover any of the MW's fees, AND I had to pay 20% of the hospital fees. We're still reeling 5 mo later from that. I don't know if I'll be able to justify using a midwife when we have #2.

Great that your MW uses a billing service. I was going to mention that in CA, if you have a PPO that doesn't have any midwives (for homebirth) that are considered in-network, your insurance should cover it as an in-network provider.
Mama to one sweet girl, 2 ginormous pups, and due 5/2015 w/#2

I need some NB BG AIOs. Love trades, or will buy.
2DaneMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:22 AM   #18
magdalynaa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
She also has a billing service for our insurance and said she got my insurance to recognize her as an "in network provider" so they would pay the full amount.
My MW does something similar. Her billing service prepares all the insurance docs so you can submit them immediately after birth to try to get reimbursed. She said it's totally flaky, though... the same company may cover one woman one week, but deny another woman the same week. I'm hoping I'll get something back from my insurance, but I'm not holding my breath.
magdalynaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #19
Anna0623
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wow these thread are so informative! Storing it all up for later.
Anna0623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #20
1healthylady
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks ladies! The midwife and I totally hit it off today. I think I am in love She worked out a payment plan with us and is giving us 6 months after the birth to pay so we can use next year's tax return. She also has a billing service for our insurance and said she got my insurance to recognize her as an "in network provider" so they would pay the full amount. All that being said we hired her on the spot I am so happy I get to have my home birth and that baby bean gets a midwife!!
Fantastic!! I was really wanting a home birth midwife but was so worried about the cost. So I called my insurance and they said they cover home birth, but not the MW I wanted. Then I called the MW. Their usual fee is $4200, but they make an agreement with the insurance co. to have that all covered. I am discovering that the insurance I had to switch to bc my job switched companies is amazing!! I'll have to pay a total of about $100 for a home birth, for the pool rental and the birth kit. Which is even cheaper than a hospital birth which has a $250 copay each for me and baby. Love it when things work out!!
1healthylady is offline   Reply With Quote