Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #21
Registered Users
Re: How to afford a Midwife?

i'm so glad she was willing to work with you! and i'm as surprised (and disappointed) as you are at the cheap price for some of the midwives mentioned here. i'm in chicago, there are no birth centers here (much to my disappointment after my FANTASTIC birth center birth in TX last time. but oh well...) so homebirth it is, and my midwife charges a $4000 flat rate, and my insurance refuses to cover homebirth.

i was going to say though, there are often things you can do to work it out with them, or they will know a good way of dealing with your insurance company. my midwife, for example, suggested when we first talked with her that when we call our insurance company we specifically ask if they covered homebirth, and if not, would they cover prenatal care separately and just not the birth itself? the person i talked to at the insurance company said that they would definitely NOT cover the birth, but would cover prenatal as long as my checkups took place in a licensed facility and not just someone's home (i don't get the difference, but whatever...). the midwife seemed to be familiar with such restrictions. i suspect this might be why she chooses to practice out of an office building and not her home? anyways, she said she would be sure to bill the insurance company in one lump sum, labeling it all "prenatal care" and not mentioning homebirth at all. then, because she got copies of our insurance card, and verified the info from the insurance company, she only charged us the amount we would owe after insurance (40% for out of network service, plus our $600 deductible) and we could make payments on it up to the day of the birth. but, if we pay by 32 weeks, we get $500 off. IF our insurance company won't pay up, all cash only customers get an additional $500 off, bringing the total max cost down to $3000. still a lot, and it doesn't include blood work, renting the tub, etc. but at least there are options. but anyways, all that to say, there are always options, and a lot of midwives have learned how to work the insurance companies so as to make sure you get your maximum benefit. and, as for refusing to pay, resubmitting paperwork, fighting for benefits, etc. frankly, in my experience, that's just par for the course with most insurance companies, homebirth or not. besides my 2 pregnancies, i've had several serious medical problems with accompanying procedures in the last several years. and each and every time i encounter SOME issue with the insurance company. i just got through fighting with them to pay an mri i had 7 months ago. they spent the whole time telling me they weren't going to pay, but maybe if i just sent or resent 1 more thing they would reconsider.....and they did. i have never had them not pay in the end. it's all a matter of who can out-wait who and knowing your benefits and standing firm on them fulfilling their promises. insurance companies suck, but you just have to stick up for yourself.

Last edited by Liadan23; 04-05-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #22
Registered Users
My Mood:
My midwife is flat fee of $5600. Our insurance is covering her at the in network rate of 85/15 so that helps us a lot.
My name is Amanda, happily married to Ernesto I'm a former HS teacher turned SAHM to Jake 6.7.10 and Norah 7.23.12

Follow me at my blog:Rosenfried's Ramblings
rosenfried2 is offline   Reply With Quote