Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Meat rabbits, how to get started? Many ??

What are some good resources for getting started? How do you find breeding rabbits? I don't know of any local place here. Is it easy to pasture raise them in the summer? Can they live outside in the winter? ( MN winter that is)

Thanks!

Advertisement

vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
mebl0901
Registered Users
seller

Re: Meat rabbits, how to get started? Many ??

This is interesting to me. I know nothing about it but I'm curious to read what others have to say. I hope someone responds.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There are quite a few videos on it I found on you tube. I will say I'm not a fan of just raising them in cages their whole life in some videos. I would rather do bunny tractors or pasture feed them in some way.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used to raise meat rabbits but all of my experience is in cages. I have no clue how you would pasture rabbits. Especially since they can dig? I'm curious though.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
cdwelton
Registered Users
seller

We're going to try it so we will see if we can do it with out a cage. We have really hard clay dirt so I don't think they will be able to dig to far. Does anyone know if you have to remove the male after the babies are born? or will they leave them alone?
Old 04-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have seen on one video that they said always put the male with the female to mate then take him away. Then when it was close to the birth of the babies they placed the nesting box in, and she lined it with her own fur. Right now I have no ideas where we would be able to get rabbits to start. This maybe something we do in the future. We have more baby chicks coming to take care of soon!
Old 04-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
sahmofthree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We're looking into getting some this summer once our barn is built. Most likely New Zealands or Californians or a cross of the two. Or possibly standard Rex's. I've also read that you don't keep the males and females together except for breeding. And you always bring the female to the males cage, once they've done the deed a few times you remove her. Just give her a nesting box, she'll tear our and line it with her fur a week or so before giving birth. Then they can be weaned between 6-8 weeks old, then butchered between 8-12 weeks depending on whether you want fryers or roasters.

I have seen some raised in rabbit tractors, they had welded/woven wire on the bottom to stop them from trying to dig out or predators trying to dig in. Hardware cloth on the sides/top. If you do a search on youtube you should find some. They would have to have their own separate tractors or compartments within the tractor. You could have one tractor with a couple compartments for 2 does to share, then another tractor with a couple compartments for 2 bucks to share.

To find them, you should be able to search for the specific breed you want (like Californian or New Zealand which are common meat breeds) on craigslist or kijiji and find some. I know when I search kijiji I find tons in my area.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
mrschaeos
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ok I just looked at google images, an they have tons of nice ones on there! Put in rabbit tractor! I love google images

Now my mind is racing with ideas!
Old 04-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we don't have our small city on craigslist, the closest ones are over an hour away. If only you could order them by mail like chicks!
Old 04-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
sahmofthree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We're not on Craigslist (or Kijiji which is more common here), the closest one is 45 min away. We pretty much have to drive to find a lot of the animals we're buying for our little farm. I would put a wanted ad on your closest city's craigslist though, and check it daily for what you're looking to buy. You never know, someone who lives in your town may be selling what you're looking for on your closest city's craigslist!