Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
MY car is going to the shop and I've installed my kids' cars eats in DH's car with the seatbelts. One is a Marathon RFing and the other a Nautilus. I'm having a hard time getting them really snug. I almost feel like the seatbelt buckles won't allow me to tighten them more because they are against the seat. I don't know... Do indeed to put a towel underneath? I feel better about the Marathon and it has a towel to help the recline. It doesnt move around as much when i push on it. Thanks!

Eta- the car is a Mazda Protege.

Advertisement

justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

you can twist the female part of the buckle a couple times before buckling to get it tighter
Old 04-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tips for tighter install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomma View Post
you can twist the female part of the buckle a couple times before buckling to get it tighter
I think 3 twists is max. You can put a rolled up towel at the bite of the seat for the marathon, but you cannot put a towel undr a ffing seat.

Also, rocking is your best friend. As you tighten the seat, rock it with your weight on it. Hard to explain....''

Here's a good vid...shows some tips

Last edited by solarbabies; 04-05-2012 at 11:46 AM.
solarbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
genevievej84
Registered Users

Is there no more than one inch of movement at the belt path? If so, you have an acceptable install and it's not necessary to get the install tighter.
genevievej84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you. It does seem to be moving more than 1" so that's why I was concerned.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
shanree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by justineybean
Thank you. It does seem to be moving more than 1" so that's why I was concerned.
Are you grabbing the seat from the top or at the belt path? From the top it will always feel like it has more give. If the seat does not slide more than one inch where the belt goes through it as you moderately tug on it with one hand, then it is good! "rock solid" is not necessary
JESUS LOVING Wife to Les, Full-Time Mama to Naomi (17) Elijah (11) Ian (8) Jake/Xander/Rachel (7yr old triplets) Aiden (5) and Benjamin (2) ....Homebirthing, EBF, ERF, CD'ing, BW'ing, HS'ing, Co-Sleeping, No-Circ, No Vax, 3 natural VBAC Mama. & now I am a CPST!!!!
shanree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanree

Are you grabbing the seat from the top or at the belt path? From the top it will always feel like it has more give. If the seat does not slide more than one inch where the belt goes through it as you moderately tug on it with one hand, then it is good! "rock solid" is not necessary
It's at the base/belt path. Thank you for checking
Old 04-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ok I twisted the buckle and re-installed, then took it to a safety check at the fire department and he said it seemed great and was tight enough. That was reassuring. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineybean View Post
Ok I twisted the buckle and re-installed, then took it to a safety check at the fire department and he said it seemed great and was tight enough. That was reassuring. Thanks for the suggestions!
If they didn't take the seat out and teach you how to reinstall it then I would not put much stock in that safety check. If they did not follow the procedure I listed then they were either not certified techs or they were bad certified techs. Techs are there to educate parents, they are not a check or an install service.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m View Post
If they didn't take the seat out and teach you how to reinstall it then I would not put much stock in that safety check. If they did not follow the procedure I listed then they were either not certified techs or they were bad certified techs. Techs are there to educate parents, they are not a check or an install service.
I have been educated several times in the past. I needed help with knowing whether the seat was tight enough and he could easily pull on the seat and tell me if it was moving too much. I feel confident about my ability to properly install the seat. I didn't need him to take it out and re-install it to show me how. Also I feel like you can educate someone without assuming they don't know how to do it and starting from the beginning.

Last edited by justineybean; 04-10-2012 at 11:43 AM.