Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
justineybean's Avatar
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,072
My Mood:
MY car is going to the shop and I've installed my kids' cars eats in DH's car with the seatbelts. One is a Marathon RFing and the other a Nautilus. I'm having a hard time getting them really snug. I almost feel like the seatbelt buckles won't allow me to tighten them more because they are against the seat. I don't know... Do indeed to put a towel underneath? I feel better about the Marathon and it has a towel to help the recline. It doesnt move around as much when i push on it. Thanks!

Eta- the car is a Mazda Protege.

Advertisement

justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
doulamomma's Avatar
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,731
you can twist the female part of the buckle a couple times before buckling to get it tighter
__________________
Lora, blessed to be a wife to Aaron- 11 years and a Mom to DD Ella-7, DD Ava-5, Olivia-3, Weston-1
I sell SCENTSY!!!Labor and delivery resources HERE
doulamomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
solarbabies's Avatar
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: beautiful New Mexico
Posts: 6,845
My Mood:
Re: Tips for tighter install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomma View Post
you can twist the female part of the buckle a couple times before buckling to get it tighter
I think 3 twists is max. You can put a rolled up towel at the bite of the seat for the marathon, but you cannot put a towel undr a ffing seat.

Also, rocking is your best friend. As you tighten the seat, rock it with your weight on it. Hard to explain....''

Here's a good vid...shows some tips
__________________
[CENTER]~Shannon~Mama to Addisyn 6.6.10 and Ryan 1.22.12

Last edited by solarbabies; 04-05-2012 at 11:46 AM.
solarbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
genevievej84
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 560
Re: Tips for tighter install?

Is there no more than one inch of movement at the belt path? If so, you have an acceptable install and it's not necessary to get the install tighter.
__________________
Child Passenger Safety Technician- Instructor
DS1 - 8 DS2 - 7 DS3 - 3
SurroBaby born: 11/04/13
genevievej84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
justineybean's Avatar
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,072
My Mood:
Re: Tips for tighter install?

Thank you. It does seem to be moving more than 1" so that's why I was concerned.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
shanree's Avatar
shanree
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Titus, AL (outside Montgomery)
Posts: 2,371
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by justineybean
Thank you. It does seem to be moving more than 1" so that's why I was concerned.
Are you grabbing the seat from the top or at the belt path? From the top it will always feel like it has more give. If the seat does not slide more than one inch where the belt goes through it as you moderately tug on it with one hand, then it is good! "rock solid" is not necessary
__________________
JESUS LOVING Wife to Les, Full-Time Mama to Naomi (17) Elijah (11) Ian (8) Jake/Xander/Rachel (7yr old triplets) Aiden (5) and Benjamin (2) ....Homebirthing, EBF, ERF, CD'ing, BW'ing, HS'ing, Co-Sleeping, No-Circ, No Vax, 3 natural VBAC Mama. & now I am a CPST!!!!
shanree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
justineybean's Avatar
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,072
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanree

Are you grabbing the seat from the top or at the belt path? From the top it will always feel like it has more give. If the seat does not slide more than one inch where the belt goes through it as you moderately tug on it with one hand, then it is good! "rock solid" is not necessary
It's at the base/belt path. Thank you for checking
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
justineybean's Avatar
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,072
My Mood:
Ok I twisted the buckle and re-installed, then took it to a safety check at the fire department and he said it seemed great and was tight enough. That was reassuring. Thanks for the suggestions!
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
monica-m's Avatar
monica-m
Registered Users
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 2,312
My Mood:
Re: Tips for tighter install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineybean View Post
Ok I twisted the buckle and re-installed, then took it to a safety check at the fire department and he said it seemed great and was tight enough. That was reassuring. Thanks for the suggestions!
If they didn't take the seat out and teach you how to reinstall it then I would not put much stock in that safety check. If they did not follow the procedure I listed then they were either not certified techs or they were bad certified techs. Techs are there to educate parents, they are not a check or an install service.
__________________
CPST-I and SAHM to DS
monica-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
justineybean's Avatar
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,072
My Mood:
Re: Tips for tighter install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m View Post
If they didn't take the seat out and teach you how to reinstall it then I would not put much stock in that safety check. If they did not follow the procedure I listed then they were either not certified techs or they were bad certified techs. Techs are there to educate parents, they are not a check or an install service.
I have been educated several times in the past. I needed help with knowing whether the seat was tight enough and he could easily pull on the seat and tell me if it was moving too much. I feel confident about my ability to properly install the seat. I didn't need him to take it out and re-install it to show me how. Also I feel like you can educate someone without assuming they don't know how to do it and starting from the beginning.

Last edited by justineybean; 04-10-2012 at 11:43 AM.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.