Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #11
MyPerfectLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cell Phone

My 10 y/o keeps asking me this VERY question ... when can she get her own cell phone. She's too young, IMO. First of all, she can't keep her room clean, keep track of her Nintendo DS, or even remember she has to brush her teeth twice a day on her own. Also, she's not allowed to cross any big roads on her own or go anywhere by herself where she would not have another person to rely on for help (i.e. another kid's parents). She goes to sleepovers, has an afterschool activity, and so on ... however, I always know where she is, and have a number to reach her. I pick her up from her activity when it is over. She has no need to call me. Cell phones are expensive and I just don't think she's ready for one. A smart-phone definitely not (which is what she wants) ... good Lord I won't even let her have Facebook why does she need a Smartphone??? She has email, but I get to monitor it too.
While I'm writing this I realize I sound like a Nazi, but I'm not ... in fact she saved up her own money and bought herself an iPodTouch just yesterday; I figure that's kind of a test round for a real cell phone. I think Middle School is when that will happen ... you know, when her wanting to use the phone to call friends interferes with my using the phone

Advertisement

Abby, SAHM mom to Maddy (10), Benny (7), Annie (3.5),and Joshy (1). Wife to my traveling hub for 11 years! Almost FT student (2nd time around). My life is not perfect, but I keep telling myself if I say it enough I will believe it!
MyPerfectLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #12
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

P.s. I got my first cell phone when I was 14 but I did share one with my brother from the time I was 11. And I had my own phone line at home at that time too. I am now 26 so I have had a cell phone for almost half my life.
babycat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #13
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
IMO junior high is the appropriate time. Before that, they will always be with an adult, and are not responsible enough not to lose it. I teach 7/8th grade, and even my students aren't that good at keeping track of them yet.
This. Dd got one when she started middle school. Dd2 will be the same. Some of the kids got them in 4th or 5th grade - mostly those with divorced parents or the really rich ones who also had lots of other gadgets early.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #14
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Also, to the OP, if she is with another adult you trust, I can't imagine why she would need a phone at 6, and of you don't trust any other adults such as parents of friends then I can't imagine why you would let your dd go with them. If she isn't old enough to be away from direct supervision then she has no need for a cell IMHO
Old 04-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #15
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieism
Also, to the OP, if she is with another adult you trust, I can't imagine why she would need a phone at 6, and of you don't trust any other adults such as parents of friends then I can't imagine why you would let your dd go with them. If she isn't old enough to be away from direct supervision then she has no need for a cell IMHO
Yep

No logical reason a 6yr old needs a cell phone.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #16
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my son is 6 he is getting one. He will be taking it to school in his backpack. Truthfully, I don't care what the school rules are...he will have it in his backpack. It will be off during school hours but he will be walking home from school alone each day and I want him to have it. Kids around my neighborhood get phones early. My son already goes on playdates to his daycare friends homes without me at 5. I look at it as another layer of safety.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #17
watermelon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Only our oldest daughter has one. She got it for her 10th birthday and it is the cheapest straighttalk phone. It has been great. She does not abuse it and can text her cousins that live so far away. She has been very responsible with it. She knew from the start if she lost it that was it...no replacement until she could ask for one next year at her birthday.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #18
MomToMyMonkeys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We got our oldest a phone for his 13th birthday. I had planned to wait until he was driving but the way the school system functions in our area they pretty much expect that every junior high kid will have one. They even use them in class for assignments!! And the sports program sucks at communication with parents (no practice, changing times, etc) so the kids really need to have a way to contact us.

My younger kids have no need for a cell phone, but they all have iPods to play games and watch movies in the car

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum- please excuse any weird posts. My phone thinks it's smarter than me.
MomToMyMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #19
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmyann
When my son is 6 he is getting one. He will be taking it to school in his backpack. Truthfully, I don't care what the school rules are...he will have it in his backpack. It will be off during school hours but he will be walking home from school alone each day and I want him to have it. Kids around my neighborhood get phones early. My son already goes on playdates to his daycare friends homes without me at 5. I look at it as another layer of safety.
Walking home alone is a fairly logical reason.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #20
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

Our son (and any future children) will get one when he is old enough to drive independently, and has a job so he can pay for it with his own money. I don't see a reason for one before that.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote