Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #41
drabekgirl
Registered Users

Re: Cell Phone

shoot I'm 32 and I don't have a cellphone. Its a luxury we can't afford. Our landline is $40 a month as soon as a family plan comes that low that's when we can afford them. Course by that time they might actually be able to be used INSIDE my home. that's right dead zones do still exist when you live 10 miles from anywhere. We are always with the our children 7&8 when they are at sports practices, we live 10 miles away course we are going to stay and watch instead of go home. They take a bus to and from school although that might change next year, when they go to a school closer to our home. At which time some bear maze would be more appropriate since they'd be biking through more dead zone areas as its further from towns and bear/bobcat/wolf/coyotes would be their main threat. If I haven't met the friends parent's they may not go to that person's home. I can not believe the amount of parents who've ok'd their kid coming here for a sleepover w/o ever meeting us.

Someday when we can afford a cellphone bill and those cheap track phones work at our home that's when we'll think about cellphones. Right now, we'll just borrow from the rest of you when we need to make a call in an emergency.

Advertisement

drabekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #42
b bright
Registered Users
seller

Dp

Last edited by b bright; 04-06-2012 at 01:28 PM.
b bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #43
b bright
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabekgirl
shoot I'm 32 and I don't have a cellphone. Its a luxury we can't afford. Our landline is $40 a month as soon as a family plan comes that low that's when we can afford them. Course by that time they might actually be able to be used INSIDE my home. that's right dead zones do still exist when you live 10 miles from anywhere. We are always with the our children 7&8 when they are at sports practices, we live 10 miles away course we are going to stay and watch instead of go home. They take a bus to and from school although that might change next year, when they go to a school closer to our home. At which time some bear maze would be more appropriate since they'd be biking through more dead zone areas as its further from towns and bear/bobcat/wolf/coyotes would be their main threat. If I haven't met the friends parent's they may not go to that person's home. I can not believe the amount of parents who've ok'd their kid coming here for a sleepover w/o ever meeting us.

Someday when we can afford a cellphone bill and those cheap track phones work at our home that's when we'll think about cellphones. Right now, we'll just borrow from the rest of you when we need to make a call in an emergency.
I had this huge post about a good plan but my computer ate it i think.... Try looking here www.puretalkusa.com as little as $10 a month (for 101 minutes)
Old 04-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #44
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
Out of curiosity...what is a phone going to do if someone grabs him? Or is following him? Is he really going to stop walking, get out his phone, and have time to call anyone that is going to be able to help him? Its not like he would have time to do anything anyway.

Its kind of like calling 911 to report someone robbing your house. When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. By the time whoever he calls gets there, the situation is either over or he is long gone.
Agreed. I was even talking to my DH about his last night. Most ADULTS don't even have the wherewithal to remember what to do in a crisis situation, I honestly doubt any 6 year old would be able to. I also doubt that phone is going to sit in his backpack like you think it will. I'm sure he'll be showing it off to his friends and it will just get taken away.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #45
jamilynn84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Unless the other adults you trust her with don't have a phone number to be reached on... I see no reason until they would need a phone before they are in a drop off activity that they need to call you after to be picked up.

Apologizing in advance for iPhone typos/autocorrect
Old 04-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #46
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Xblessed View Post
Do you know that AT&T now has a family map feature that allows you to track the GPS located in the phone? You could literally watch your kid walk home if he had his cell phone in his backpack. You can also set it so that you get a text message with the kids location at certain times of the day (like when school starts or when you anticipate him being home.). It also has a setting where if they leave a set area (you determine it) you get a text message.

This would help if someone grabs your kid walking home. I plan to use the feature once the kids start jr. high. Think of everything you did in jr. high and high school that they can't get away with. We used to say we were staying at a friends house and then go down to Mexico.
Is this just in your run of the mill cell phone, or does this involve some sort of smart phone?
Old 04-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #47
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Any phone will do...all phones now have built in GPS.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #48
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

My oldest is almost 8 and in 2nd grade. He only walks from the bus stop now, but next year he'll walk to and from school most days, but he will walk with friends, not alone. I don't think he'll need a phone for that. I think the earliest would be 6th grade, which is middle school. We'll have to see what activities he is doing and when to see if it's necessary or not. Right now, when I drop him off for a practice or class, I trust that the instructor would call me if he needs me. Nearly all the adults I know have a phone, so it's not a big problem that the kids don't.

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #49
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Possibly when they are in middle school and having sports practice after. But it will not have Internet, texting and only like 100 minutes, how many minutes are needed to say "mom come get me"

Sent from my free iPod touch that I cannot figure out
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote