Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
love2bmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Pain Around Belly Button

I know some pain around the belly button can be normal because of the muscles stretching, but this is getting ridiculous. The pain started a few days ago and was just to the right side of my belly button. It has gradually gotten worse and now feels like a 6-inch in diameter ring of fire all the way around my belly button. It hurts like crazy if it gets touched or bumped and is worse when I'm standing, but still hurts when I'm sitting or laying down.

I don't know if it's related, but I've also been having contractions (45 minutes to 1 hr and 15 minutes apart) for the last few days. My doctor didn't seem concerned because I wasn't having 4-5 in an hour, but I'm a little concerned since they seem fairly regular.

Has anyone else had anything like this? Is it normal to have this much pain around my belly button? I remember minor stretching pain with my other two, but nothing like this. If this is stretching pain, I'm scared of how much it will hurt in the next few months as my belly continues to grow!

Advertisement

love2bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
SAF0608
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Pain Around Belly Button

I'm 26 weeks today and I had that pain around my belly button last night. It didn't last long but it burned like you described. I have no idea what it is! I don't remember it with dd1. I have been having braxton hicks pretty much everyday too. I'm guessing its normal, maybe just the belly button spreading out or something. Maybe someone else has an answer for us
SAF0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
love2bmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've had minor pain in the same area before that would only last a few minutes. This has been constant for the last few days though. That's why I'm a little more concerned than I was before.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2bmommy View Post
I know some pain around the belly button can be normal because of the muscles stretching, but this is getting ridiculous. The pain started a few days ago and was just to the right side of my belly button. It has gradually gotten worse and now feels like a 6-inch in diameter ring of fire all the way around my belly button. It hurts like crazy if it gets touched or bumped and is worse when I'm standing, but still hurts when I'm sitting or laying down.

I don't know if it's related, but I've also been having contractions (45 minutes to 1 hr and 15 minutes apart) for the last few days. My doctor didn't seem concerned because I wasn't having 4-5 in an hour, but I'm a little concerned since they seem fairly regular.

Has anyone else had anything like this? Is it normal to have this much pain around my belly button? I remember minor stretching pain with my other two, but nothing like this. If this is stretching pain, I'm scared of how much it will hurt in the next few months as my belly continues to grow!
I had this... turned out it was an umbilical hernia... not uncommon during pregnancies! It hurt sooo bad that I actually made a special appt. to go in and see the ob/gyn (crazy for me... never done that before and this as baby pregnancy #4)! Sooo painful to the touch/bump, all around belly button... like fire, and just so painful. He said there was nothing he could do about it now while pregnant, but during my c-section he could put in some stitches and so that's what he did. To help avoid the extreme pain, I had to be careful about lifting too much, bending down too much. I would do really great and the pain would subside and then I'd over do it and it felt like I had reinjured myself all over again.

The first time (when I got the u/h) the pain was for 5-6 days (painful pain). Then when I'd over-do it the pain would be bad for around 2-3 days. If I was careful not to lift too much (which with 3 other kids, 3 and under at the time, was hard) I would have twinges of pain here and there, but definitely doable to get through.

I read you have an older child. Tips: have them climb up in their booster seat, high chair by getting a little stepstool. When they need lifted up, have them climb on a chair or the couch first. Lifting them from higher up seems to help.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

just wanted to add big ((hugs))... it really does suck to deal with this while pregnant. Do you have much longer to go in pregnancy? I got my umbilical hernia when I was 7-1/2 mos. pregnant so I had to be careful for the last 6 weeks...
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had some Hernia pain also, between 25-29ish weeks, but it's since been "plugged" by the growing baby.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
love2bmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Raisingcropsandbabies - That sounds almost exactly like what I have. And I've been doing tons of cleaning and reorganizing lately, so I've been lifting more than I should....I bet that's why it got really bad the last few days. It sucks that there's nothing that can be done about it, but if that's what it is, I'm glad it's not serious and/or harmful to baby.

I have 12 weeks to go until my due date, so it seems like forever to go with this kind of pain. Hopefully I can take it easier and it will subside some. I do have 2 older kids, but since they're 5 and 3, I don't *have* to lift them very often. I'll have to be more careful about only lifting them when it's necessary.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #8
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Had the same thing with first preg. Ended up umbilical hernia with very stretched stomach muscles (look up linea alba). Mine didn't go back together and my bb stayed fairly popped out. They said they could put in a few stitches but since we weren't/aren't done having kids we decided to wait til we are done to fix it so it doesn't keep happening and create more scar tissue.
Good luck. I actually bought kinesio tape and that helped a bit. Rub some arnica gel or traumeel on it - check health food store. Seemed to help me.
I'm wondering how this preg will be and when/if it will come back.

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
SAF0608
Registered Users
seller
seller

oh wow! I never thought about hernias. I guess i need to be more careful picking up dd and other heavy things!
Op, i hope the pain subsides some for you soon!
SAF0608 is offline   Reply With Quote