Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #21
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to keep rabbits out of garden?

I know at home depot type of stores they sell like fox urine but it's free if you just pee in your garden lol

Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #22
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryMama
Plant marigolds around your garden - they hate them and will not step (or hop!) near them
This is what I was going to suggest! It works here and there are tons of rabbits!
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:25 AM   #23
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

They are a pretty big problem here as I'm in the desert where there's nothing terribly lush to gnaw on. Most people find success in putting a line of chicken wire up around the bottom 3' of their fence (any lower and they can just jump thru the holes/gaps) and then dig down about 6-8" and lay the chicken wire out flat spreading away from the fence. Throw rocks onto it to anchor it down and fill the dirt over it. Keeps them from digging under. They hit the rocks and chicken wire and give up.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:12 AM   #24
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We always do marygolds and still get them. Perhaps our rabits are just too gutsy or something. It just doesn't fase them. We still will be planting them this year because they really help bring in the pollenators and ward off some of the bad bugs.
Doesn't work on the beetles though.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #25
drabekgirl
Registered Users

My sister used the dried blood often on her in town garden to ward off the rabbits and deer. Out here I've used llama manure to keep the deer out of the garden, either spread throughout the garden or just around it they don't like the smell (even the fresh stuff won't kill your garden like other manures do). In fact a lady sells it at the farmers market she also boils it and puts it on sticks and sells it as a repellent to stick on your fruit trees. I get it free from a different person who uses the llamas to protect the sheep.

Ok funny bunny vs dog story. We have french patio doors and the dog saw a bunny outside and he really wanted to go after it (which is totally fine he has never actually caught one). I let him out and the rabbit takes off to the left the dog was too busy getting to the spot where he saw it so he didn't see it run. He finally decided to use his nose (which I don't think is very good) and follow the rabbit, he must have gotten close b/c the rabbit who noticed the dog looking for it to the left runs right past the patio door and into the woods on the right! OMG I was dying of laughter watching him try to figure out what happened to the rabbit.
drabekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #26
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
That's too funny about the dog - we have a jack Russell who would chase a rabbit to the ends of the earth if we'd let her.

Sent from my iPhone that has a mind of its own
Old 04-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #27
Kindermama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbie View Post
This is what I was going to suggest! It works here and there are tons of rabbits!
Good to know!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #28
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think we're going with a combo approach - marigolds and then I'll have dh and ds mark their territory, lol.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #29
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Oh, and one more question. How often would someone have to pee around the garden? Seems like it would have to be done quite often to be effective...

Old 04-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #30
drabekgirl
Registered Users

I would think after each rain
drabekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote