Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Here lessons/classes start at 3-mom and me before that. My girls do a swim class everywk and have since last may. My girls are 7 and 4(5in june).

Advertisement

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I did mother baby 'swim lessons' starting around 9 months, just to get them used to the water. At 3 they preschool lessons in the baby pool, and move to the big pool at 5.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #13
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:
Re: How old for swim lessons?

Lessons here start at 6 months with a parent and 3 years without one.

AND I have to TOTALLY disagree with the PP who said that most kids can't learn until 5. We swam three days a week all through toddlerhood and my kids were BY FAR not the only ones in lessons with them. LOTS of little ones learn how to swim earlier then that - it certainly is NOT a waste of money!

Now as I said there were LOTS of average kids swimming. Our son was certainly not "normal" but he was a competitive spring board diver (1 and 3 meter diving boards) at FOUR! He learned to swim at 2, started training in diving at 3, and won his first competition at 4, he won nationals at 6 and "retired" lol at 7.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #14
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

Where we take lessons, they start at 6 months. I put both my kids in lessons (parent-tot) before they were a year old and then continued year round, or with an session off here and there. In the parent-tot classes they do teach a lot of water awareness stuff, but also start teaching the skills that are continued in the older classes (non parent classes) They teach the babies all how to climb out of the pool, how to "monkey walk" along the edge of the pool, how to grab the side of the pool while under water, how to fall in and then turn while under the water and then climb out. They also work on breath control, swimming through hoops under water, floating on their backs, kicking and "big arms" (pretty much doggie paddle) etc.

Once they move to the class without a parent, they are working on glides, kicking, circle swims (falling in and then turning around and swimming back to the wall), picking up object on the bottom of the pool, "swim-roll-swim" (they have to push off in a glide, flip over onto their back and float, be able to breathe then roll back to their front and continue swimming.) After all those skill as mastered they start actual strokes. These non-parent classes start at age 3 or the child can be turning 3 during the session.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #15
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

We did the mommy and me lessons at 6mo. Then last summer we spent a great deal on the boat and in the water and he does great. He's very comfortable with the water to the point that he'll go until it hits his armpits then he turns around and he jumps off the boat (of course with a life jacket and parent catching him) into the water. So that's why I'm thinking swim lessons would be good. If our pool was open past 5 I would do it myself but they close then and so I can't since I work usually til 5:30. The girl I want to give him lessons is my pt sitter and she's trained and a summer life guard at the pool so she would go get him at daycare and take him for 45min then bring him back. I was just wondering if 3.5-4 was to early.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #16
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

We had our first round of lessons at 10 months.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #17
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We started at age 4 and it was too late. DD was totally afraid of the water.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #18
rosenfried2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We just did a series of 8 lessons at 21 months old. He loved it and jumps in the water and swims to the side (still w/ assistance & practice)

Follow me at my blog:Rosenfried's Ramblings
rosenfried2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #19
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
We're not in swim lessons, per se, but we have our 18month in Water Babies where we're trying to teach her some arm and leg movements.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #20
ralenth
Registered Users

Around here Mom and me start at like 6 months, and most actual lessons start at 3. Depends on the child, too. My middle son we tried real lessons at 3, and he couldn't handle it, so we switched him to Mom and me lessons... went better, but he didn't get much out of it. My DD needed regular lessons from like 2 on, but we waited until she was 3. She was swimming by the end of her second lesson (actual swimming). She is a little fish, though. How comfortable is your son with water?
ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote