Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

How to handle one napper and one escape artist

For a while ODS (almost 3) has pretty much given up naps. To get yds (20m) down for a nap I've been able to bribe ods with Batman and milk to stay on the couch while I get his brother to sleep. But, now he very quickly remembers his ability to climb and open everything in the house. If I turn around he is outside playing in the backyard in seconds. I don't think it's safe to leave him in a room alone, but if I try to get him to lay down or read quietly in the same room, they just keep riling each other up...for hours if they have to. Other than spending every afternoon driving in hopes of a car nap, I am out of ideas. Or I guess I can let yds cry it out. Any other ideas ladies? It is driving me bonkers and I don't want to be cranky with my kids.

Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
MommyZ of 2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I know he's a little too old for this, but could you strap him in the highchair, in front of the tv with a snack? That's such a tough situation. My ods was almost 3 when his brother was born, but he understood the rules and was used to being left alone in a room for 20 minutes or so and I had no worries. I'd be dishing out some very serious punishments for going outside without asking/ having an adult present. He pulled that one time and after seeing psycho mommy, never ever attempted it again.
He's four now, and usually helps me read a book to his brother before nap time. ( he has at least 5 books completely committed to memory! At least im not the only one who knows Goodnight Moon!) sometimes he's busy doing whatever, and I just tell him where we're going. He blows kisses to his brother and goes back to his thing. Then, once the baby's asleep, we do a special mommy and Trevor activity. He looks forward to our time alone. He's not always perfect- I have caught him with a red face and empty carton of strawberries, or standing on a chair rooting in the pantry, or building a structure from the decorative rocks in the Yucca planter, but nothing very dangerous or disruptive.
MommyZ of 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyZ of 2
I know he's a little too old for this, but could you strap him in the highchair, in front of the tv with a snack? That's such a tough situation. My ods was almost 3 when his brother was born, but he understood the rules and was used to being left alone in a room for 20 minutes or so and I had no worries. I'd be dishing out some very serious punishments for going outside without asking/ having an adult present. He pulled that one time and after seeing psycho mommy, never ever attempted it again.
He's four now, and usually helps me read a book to his brother before nap time. ( he has at least 5 books completely committed to memory! At least im not the only one who knows Goodnight Moon!) sometimes he's busy doing whatever, and I just tell him where we're going. He blows kisses to his brother and goes back to his thing. Then, once the baby's asleep, we do a special mommy and Trevor activity. He looks forward to our time alone. He's not always perfect- I have caught him with a red face and empty carton of strawberries, or standing on a chair rooting in the pantry, or building a structure from the decorative rocks in the Yucca planter, but nothing very dangerous or disruptive.
Hmmm. I wasn't successful at keeping him in the high chair way back when. It didn't have a 5point harness. And he thinks upset mommy is funny. He knows once yds is asleep he gets my attention...and usually cookies. I could try putting him in his booster chair with a snack. I think he'll just turtle shell it, but it would slow him down and he wouldn't be able to drive his cars...maybe it would demotivate him to escape, lol. I'm thinking a sliding lock at the top of our doors might be a good idea. Won't look nice, but it will be out of reach.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
mom2kaydncolt
Registered Users
seller

Re: How to handle one napper and one escape artist

I've always just had my baby kinda cry it out for nap at that age. None of them ever cried longer than a few token moments (they have a corner on the mama guilt market don't they?) and then they'd just start babbling until they went to sleep. The generally started sleeping better once I stopped putting them to sleep and laid them to bed awake too. Bonus. No way I could leave them unattended for long enough to physically put my daughter to sleep. Who knows what all they'd get into.