Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
If you have a child with add, adhd or a spectrum disorder....or other disorders....

What type of doctor diagnosed your child and how long did it take?

I will respond later with my answer, but was curious.

Thanks!

Advertisement

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you have a child with add, adhd or a spectrum disorder....or other disorders..

Kearnan was seen by a neurologist for his original diagnosis of encephalitic brain damage (it required MRI testing along with a whole battery of other testing). His later diagnosis of PDD NOS, SPD and speech delay came at age 3 from a psychologist who freelances for the ISD working with an OT, PT, SLP, and behavioral therapist. His diagnosis was adjusted again at age 7 by a different psychologist, also employed by the school district, again working in conjunction with other therapists though this time only OT and SLP and using old ARD's plus reports from his active therapists for reference. He was given a diagnosis of PDD NOS/Aspie and SPD having outgrown speech delay by that time. I was told that he might move to Aspie given a few more years to develop but it was impossible to tell at his age because he was too young for an official Aspie diagnosis. He is presently being seen by a behavioral psychiatrist at Cook Children's awaiting a new diagnosis. He is 10.5 now.

ETA: as for how long it took that is a bit tricky as Kearnan's situation is different. It took 6 months from the time his MMR vaccine was administered and he regressed (almost overnight) until the PA he was seeing would admit there was obviously a problem and we needed to do something. It took another 6months to actually get in to the Neurologist as we had to work through an ENT and then wait through the neurology schedule and first few appts before the MRI. He regressed at 18months and was almost 2.5 before his first diagnosis but he began recieving therapy through ECI at 2. He didn't receive a diagnosis from the school system until he was 3 because there was no point for another diagnosis, it didn't get us anything.

Last edited by iris0110; 04-06-2012 at 02:08 PM.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
pinky74
Registered Users
seller
seller

We went to a psychologist and it took 1 appt. We were at the end of our rope and his School work was suffering. His ped recommended the doctor. It did take 3 trial meds/doses to find a combo. I am technically a hypicrit since I was in denial. we still have to work with him, but he can focus in school and he isn't a zombie. Good luck!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Krissycola
Registered Users
seller

Re: If you have a child with add, adhd or a spectrum disorder....or other disorders..

My 3 yr old DS does not yet have a diagnosis but I am interested in this thread. So far all I have done is got him involved with early intervention. He had the evaluation and qualified for the classroom which will start in the fall. no diagnosis as of right now but I'm fairly sure he has PDD which is an autism spectrum disorder.
Krissycola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
gagenivy
Registered Users

Developmental Pediatrician dx'd my son.
gagenivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Lots of different docs!

My oldest was diagnosed add, ocd and odd by a pschologist and psyciatry group.

My youngest was just seen by a psyciatrist with a tentative diagnosis of PDD. We see the developmental ped some time this summer (the only one in town is on medical leave)

Seems as if behavioral health here is
Much different from what I hear about in other areas of the country.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

My DD was referred to a psychiatrist by her pediatrition. She had already been in behavioral therapy and it wasn't enough. So she was officially diagnosed by the psychiatrist. We switched over to a child psychologist for counseling during my LDH's illness and she was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and transient tics. She was further diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder and referred for Occupational therapy. Hopefully we're done with the diagnosis'! LOL
Old 04-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
ralenth
Registered Users

A pediatric neurologist, but it took 2 different doctors, 2+ ears apart to get an accurate diagnosis.
ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

A psychologist, medical doctor, and 2 slp's diagnosed DD2 with ASD, the centre we went to does the assessment as a team, and it took around 6 or 7 months to get in. If we had waited until she was over 2 years old the wait could have been a year or two!
Old 04-07-2012, 12:52 AM   #10
dirtmagnets
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ryan was diagnosed with PDD-NOS and ADHD by a developmental ped. We waited four months to get in.
I suspect Leo will eventually have an autism spectrum diagnosis also. He sees the neurologist in a couple of weeks because he's having staring spells that I'm sure are seizures (Ryan also has a seizure disorder) and I'm debating whether to bring my ASD suspicions up at this appointment or wait and see how he changes over the next six months or so and bring it up if it's still a concern when he turns two. He's got some obvious sensory integration issues and some very stereotypically autistic behaviors, but his language skills have taken off suddenly in the last couple of weeks, so I'm less concerned now than I was a month ago.