Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #21
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I found this article that goes over the perceived risks and many studies (it seems reasonably balanced and factual):
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articl...undrodgers.asp

A quote from the article:
The idea that a prenatal ultrasound can be hazardous is not new. The previously mentioned 1982 WHO report, in its summary "Effects of Ultrasound on Biological Systems," stated that "…animal studies suggest that neurological, behavioral, developmental, immunological, haematological changes and reduced fetal weight can result from exposure to ultrasound."(25)

Personally, I feel that ultrasounds for diagnostic purposes are worth the risk. The 3D ultrasound businesses that allow you to see your baby just for kicks, not worth it. As discussed in the article, these super clear images require increased acoustical output.

I've been subject to pre-term labour for two of my pregnancies and the extra ultrasounds to check cervical length always weigh heavily on me.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.

Last edited by wordmama; 04-07-2012 at 04:22 PM.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #22
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Are sonograms really safe??

My totally unscientific opinion on this, and I've done some reading on it, is that a few ultrasounds for diagnostic purposes are probably ok. They've been around for a lot of years. Getting carried away with the 3D and 4D ones are a little different, but a dating and an anatomy scan is pretty minimal. Both of those can also reveal potentially life threatening complications that can be circumvented if we know about them, things like placenta previa and other such things that can be managed if we know about them. So they should be used sparingly, but I think the good outweighs the potential bad here.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #23
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
My totally unscientific opinion on this, and I've done some reading on it, is that a few ultrasounds for diagnostic purposes are probably ok. They've been around for a lot of years. Getting carried away with the 3D and 4D ones are a little different, but a dating and an anatomy scan is pretty minimal. Both of those can also reveal potentially life threatening complications that can be circumvented if we know about them, things like placenta previa and other such things that can be managed if we know about them. So they should be used sparingly, but I think the good outweighs the potential bad here.
I agree with this I always have 1 u/s at 20 weeks to check on the placenta, the baby's heart, etc. I don't care about gender or anything like that so I like to go as quickly as possible and get the info that we need. I have a cousin who had 11 u/s in her pregnancy *just for fun*. Her Dr. didn't care and just kept writing her forms to go get a pregnancy. I remember seeing a status update on her FB that said something like "got another u/s done today to make sure he's still a boy".
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #24
BooneNicuMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
I agree with this I always have 1 u/s at 20 weeks to check on the placenta, the baby's heart, etc. I don't care about gender or anything like that so I like to go as quickly as possible and get the info that we need. I have a cousin who had 11 u/s in her pregnancy *just for fun*. Her Dr. didn't care and just kept writing her forms to go get a pregnancy. I remember seeing a status update on her FB that said something like "got another u/s done today to make sure he's still a boy".
That is so sad

I have had many many done already (( I'm sitting at 3, and I'm 11 weeks)) and am scheduled for so many more. 16, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 31, and so on. That's so many.... But it's due to baby's health and well being. There were a few times last pregnancy I got extra photos from it, but I just had her reprint the ones she had to take for the doctor. No extra time. We do find out the gender, but they check for my doctor whether we wanted to know or not I do enjoy my photos I have, but I'd not get any extra/more then normally ordered for baby's health, if it were an option. I just feel ANY extra medical procedures without a need is more then should be done.

Abby (11) Hailey (9) Katlyn (6) Savanna (2) Grace (1) Angel baby May 2011, and Angel Baby Dec 25th 2011. & ANNABELLE Oct. 17th 2012!!!
BooneNicuMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #25
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I err on the side of caution so I only get them as necessary. I am not the type that wants a scan at every appt and I would never pay to have those vanity ones done. I do consent to some b/c my eldest has a congenital birth defect and it is one that needs to be known prior to birth.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #26
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooneNicuMama View Post
That is so sad

I have had many many done already (( I'm sitting at 3, and I'm 11 weeks)) and am scheduled for so many more. 16, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 31, and so on. That's so many.... But it's due to baby's health and well being. There were a few times last pregnancy I got extra photos from it, but I just had her reprint the ones she had to take for the doctor. No extra time. We do find out the gender, but they check for my doctor whether we wanted to know or not I do enjoy my photos I have, but I'd not get any extra/more then normally ordered for baby's health, if it were an option. I just feel ANY extra medical procedures without a need is more then should be done.
When there is a need that is so different, and I hope your baby and pregnancy is going well
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #27
BooneNicuMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
When there is a need that is so different, and I hope your baby and pregnancy is going well
Thanks mama =) I just, if people only see how much I am in getting U/s ( and let's be honest, that's all most people see) they make the snap judgements about not caring and such. It's heart breaking

And so far, so good, healthy happy wiggly belly bean it looked like it was break dancing in the last U/s.

Abby (11) Hailey (9) Katlyn (6) Savanna (2) Grace (1) Angel baby May 2011, and Angel Baby Dec 25th 2011. & ANNABELLE Oct. 17th 2012!!!
BooneNicuMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #28
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:

Doctors can't always be honest in health care. Doctors have lost their licenses or threatened for telling patients to eat a healthier diet as opposed to take a bunch of pharma and come in for regular tests. Take the new law that's passing in New Hampshire, where it requires that the dr give a transvag u/s to every woman that wants an abortion whether they want the u/s or not. The new legislature would require doctors to LIE to these women telling them that their risk for breast cancer goes up should they get an abortion!! Should a dr refuse to lie to their patient or refuse to force a transvag u/s they can not only lose their license but also get a felony. I have friends in the medical industry, they simply cannot tell their patients things even though it's what they believe to be true. Doctors don't have time to do the research themselves, they're told by the u/s company and pharma companies etc that the drug/machine whatever is safe.

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #29
Elijah'sMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thank you all so much for the research and opinions! I definately think in a lowrisk normal pregnancy its better to do minimal scans. I am planning a HBAC so I think the 20 week scan will be more beneficial and reassuring than potentially harmful. Any abnormalities In the placenta or baby is definitely better to know about ahead of time. Don't tell my DH but I'm definitely hoping baby keeps its legs together so we can be team green! Lol
Elijah'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #30
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooneNicuMama View Post
I certainly hope they are okay. I have to have them all the time with how high risk I am!! We have to monitor baby and cervix or I could lose baby This is scary and sad. In the attempt to keep my baby, I could be causing it brain damage and other issues
Don't worry about it mama. I know there is some concern but if you really think about the amount of ultrasounds that go on and the number of healthy babies I dont think there is much to worry about. Yes it would be nice if they would look for proof but for us mamas who NEED them should not worry IMO. I get them weekly to bi-weekly because of my cervix and issues with a high risk pregnancy. (Depends on HOW bad things look) It is more important that you worry about the real risk to your baby (early delivery) than an obscure, possible, not proven link to something negative.

Last edited by FerventlyDreaming; 04-08-2012 at 07:28 PM.
FerventlyDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote