Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #31
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Re: Are sonograms really safe??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaChellsRun View Post
Doctors can't always be honest in health care. Doctors have lost their licenses or threatened for telling patients to eat a healthier diet as opposed to take a bunch of pharma and come in for regular tests. Take the new law that's passing in New Hampshire, where it requires that the dr give a transvag u/s to every woman that wants an abortion whether they want the u/s or not. The new legislature would require doctors to LIE to these women telling them that their risk for breast cancer goes up should they get an abortion!! Should a dr refuse to lie to their patient or refuse to force a transvag u/s they can not only lose their license but also get a felony. I have friends in the medical industry, they simply cannot tell their patients things even though it's what they believe to be true. Doctors don't have time to do the research themselves, they're told by the u/s company and pharma companies etc that the drug/machine whatever is safe.
Here is a link to the actual NH bill.

This is the information that the bill (and I don't know the makeup of the NH legislature so I don't know its likelihood of being passed) requires be given:

132-B:3 Informed Consent Requirement. No abortion shall be performed or induced without the voluntary and informed consent of the woman upon whom the abortion is to be performed or induced. Except in the case of a medical emergency, consent to an abortion is voluntary and informed if and only if:

I. At least 24 hours before the abortion, the physician who is to perform the abortion or the referring physician has informed the woman, orally and in person, of the following:

(a) The name of the physician who will perform the abortion;

(b) Medically-accurate information that a reasonable patient would consider material to the decision of whether or not to undergo the abortion, including (1) a description of the proposed abortion method; (2) the immediate and long-term medical risks associated with the proposed abortion method including, but not limited to, the risks of infection, hemorrhage, cervical or uterine perforation, danger to subsequent pregnancies; and (3) alternatives to the abortion;

(c) The probable gestational age of the unborn child at the time the abortion is to be performed;

(d) The medical risks associated with carrying her child to term; and

(e) Any need for anti-Rh immune globulin therapy if she is Rh negative, the likely consequences of refusing such therapy, and the cost of the therapy.

I did not go back and look at earlier versions of the bill, but this is the bill that is currently before the legislature. Nothing about cancer and abortion. No threat to remove a doctor's license.

Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #32
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
My totally unscientific opinion on this, and I've done some reading on it, is that a few ultrasounds for diagnostic purposes are probably ok. They've been around for a lot of years. Getting carried away with the 3D and 4D ones are a little different, but a dating and an anatomy scan is pretty minimal. Both of those can also reveal potentially life threatening complications that can be circumvented if we know about them, things like placenta previa and other such things that can be managed if we know about them. So they should be used sparingly, but I think the good outweighs the potential bad here.
I agree. My DH is one that doesn't like/want sonograms done but really honestly my babies and many others probably wouldn't have been ok without them. I have type 1 diabetes so I had an ultrasound every single month of my pregnancy each time, in order to rule out birth defects and monitor the baby's growth.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #33
MacMama
Registered Users
Formerly: PaisleyandLaylasmommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah'sMama View Post
Thank you all so much for the research and opinions! I definately think in a lowrisk normal pregnancy its better to do minimal scans. I am planning a HBAC so I think the 20 week scan will be more beneficial and reassuring than potentially harmful. Any abnormalities In the placenta or baby is definitely better to know about ahead of time. Don't tell my DH but I'm definitely hoping baby keeps its legs together so we can be team green! Lol
I agree, I'm having a homebirth as well so I feel that the 20-week ultrasound is important for me, because of the slim chance of a congenital defect that would necessitate a hospital delivery. My midwife thinks it's important as well, to make sure baby's heart is formed correctly and the placenta is in a safe position for delivery. That will be the only one we have, though I did get one at 7 weeks to verify a heartbeat so we could tell the kids. I had a blighted ovum between kids 2 and 3, which didn't miscarry until 11 weeks, so the stress of me wondering if the pregnancy was viable or not while puking and feeling horrible seemed worse than a quick ultrasound. Like everything else in life, I think careful consideration and moderation is key.
Heather; wife to my love Jacob, lucky mama of Layla (9), Paisley (7), Thatcher (almost 5) and my nursling, Koa (9/4/12). Creator of Hand-stamped jewelry, custom teething necklaces and accessories by Avery Rayne Designs
MacMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #34
b bright
Registered Users
seller

I only had 3 with my first. Dating ultrasound in the beginning, slight scare at 14 weeks and anatomy scan at 20.

With my twins i had so many i dont even remember. I was at risk for twin to twin transfusion syndrome though and they needed the extra monitoring. I got bored by going to so many sonograms. Lol.

With this kid, i've technically been exposed to 2 sonograms, but the first one (dating ultrasound) was too early and all he saw was an empty sac so he ended it like 10 seconds after he started. Then i had the anatomy scan. I dont plan on having more as i dont want to accidentally be told "he" or "she".

I havent done much research on the effects and being safe or unsafe, but they have saved a lot of lives. I have a friend who had a pregnancy progressing normally and went in for a routine anatomy scan and found out her baby had a thing called cdh (congenital diaphragmatic hernia) where the diaphram doesnt close properly and organs come up into the chest area i think is an easy way to explain it. Her baby went from normal and healthy to a 50/50 chance of survival at birth IF they followed precautions at birth, sure, the ultrasound didnt change the fact that the baby had cdh, but it did let the doctors know that without the proper interventions she could die before even being born. My friend ended up having to have a very weird csection and baby had to "exit to ecmo" (which i think she explained as they cut her open, hooked baby up to the machine and then delivered the baby). Please forgive my lack of knowledge in the area. I dont have time to go looking it all up in detail. Anywho, if she didnt have her ultrasound done routinely she probably never would have known and her daughter could have been stillborn or died at birth from not having the proper equipment available to help her. Hate to end on a sad note, but she only lived 17 days. Ultrasound may not have saved her life, but it did extend her life to 17 times more than what she most likely would have lived, if she had not know about the cdh. That right there (even as a "friend of a friend" story) is enough to let me choose to get at least one ultrasound during pregnancy to rule out defects like that and to help my child have the best chances at survival. Esecially when ultrasounds have not been proven harmful.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #35
momgoddess
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't have more than one unless the need for more outweighs the risks. In two of my five pregnancies I didn't have a single one.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:02 AM   #36
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

My super mainstream OB told me that three was the limit unless you were high risk, in those situations the eminent risk to the child was greater than the risk from the ultra sound. I think she said the risk was that the baby would measure smaller? But honestly I don't really remember. I do remember that she would grab my belly to feel DS's position and he would jump. .
Old 04-10-2012, 07:25 AM   #37
borncrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooneNicuMama View Post
I certainly hope they are okay. I have to have them all the time with how high risk I am!! We have to monitor baby and cervix or I could lose baby This is scary and sad. In the attempt to keep my baby, I could be causing it brain damage and other issues
Here's the thing, ultrasounds have NOT been proven safe, in fact there is tons of info to say otherwise, BUT, in your case, (I'm assuming incompetent cervix? That's what I have...) the benefits outweigh the risks. Just remember that my last 2 had TONS of ultrasounds due to very short cervix and funneling with the 2nd baby, and short cervix and bleeding with the 3rd. I had cerclages placed with both and the drs needed to monitor my cervix to make sure I didn't lose the baby.

Keep in mind, routine and elective csections are also VERY dangerous, but they have a very important place in obstetrics, and when it truely is necessary for a baby to be born via csection (I don't mean failure to progress or drs failing to allow moms to VBAC) the benefits of that very dangerous surgery far outweigh the risks
Old 04-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #38
borncrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Adding that I will likely have 3 ultrasounds with my next pregnancy, one at 6-8 weeks to check my cervix, which will hopefully be longer than my last pregnancy, (the good thing is my 3rd pregnancy my cervix was longer than my 2nd pregnancy so im very hopeful) one at 12-14 weeks to check for differences, and if my cervix is at least 4-5 cms at the 6-8 weeks scan, they will determine if I need to have a cerclage again (which is placed at 14 weeks) and again at 20 weeks for the anatomy scan. I will limit them, but I know that in my case, having those early scans saved my last 2 babies, without them, I could've lost them in 2nd trimester to incompetent cervix.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #39
jmoon
Registered Users
seller
seller

With my first, I had a dr that did an ultrasound at every appt. I didn't know any better, and my 5 year old dd is fine, so I guess there is no use beating myself up about it! My two ds's I had the first trimester dating ultrasound, and the 20 wk anatomy scan. I think I may have had 1 more, but I am not sure. I plan to to go to a birthing center with the next baby (we are ttc) and I think they just do the 20 wk scan. I think that drs do over use sonograms, but if you have had them, or if you need them, try not to stress. I think that mothers have enough guilt as it is. I like to say, when I know better, I do better. I was 20 when I was pg with my first and I didn't know a lot of things. I loved my baby, and did my best, and I think that is what matters. Yes, I used sposies, yes my boys are circed, yes they are vaxed. I am still trying to figure things out! I think as long as you love your kiddos are are trying to do whats best for them, everything will work out!
Sorry for the rant
Old 04-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #40
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had 3 the first time, but only at 20 weeks with the second. I don't feel that a technology that is used so much has been studied nearly enough . I am also really uncomfortable with early first trimester ultrasounds.